Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-28-2008, 09:29 PM   #1
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
How to get rid of that horrible rattle from your hatch area.

Ok... not sure if anybody else has this problem, but I did.

The Problem:
I had a very annoying rattle coming from the hatch area. I couldn't quite tell exactly where it was coming from, but I suspected it was from the Brake light mounted at the top of the rear window.

The materials

1) about 4sq inches of sound dampening mat (dynamat, raammat, or even an aluminum backed, buetyl rubber based roof/gutter tape like you can find at home depot).

2) Flat head & phillips screw driver

THE FIX:

There are a few small pieces of thing awg metla inside the LED brake light fixture that resonate easily and thus make noise.

(sorry no pictures, both the GF's and My digital camera's got injured recently)

1) The brake light fixture has two round plastic plugs. Grab a flathead screw driver and pop them out

2) Take a phillips screwdriver and remove the two screws that were revealed.

3) Yank straight down on the plastic light fixture. It will take A LOT of force because the two clips are very thick and stury. As long as you removed the two screws you shouldn't have to worry about breaking anything.

4) Unplug the wiring harness from the light fixture

5) Remove the clear plastic LED light strip from the black plastic shell by pushing back the clips and pulling the strip out.

6) Remove the clear Plastic lens from the LED strip. This will now reveal the metal contacts which are around 1-2sq inches in size each.

7) Take small pieces around (1 sq inch) of the sound mat and stick it to the LED strip. Place it so it touches both the thin rectangular pieces and the plastic strip. Do this to all of the metal pieces

8). Put it all back together, except, put I tiny bit of that mat, or foam tape around the clip holes (which are square) where the whole fixture clips back into place. This will keep the fixture from rattling againts the sheet metal of the hatch.

9). Optional (if you want to go overboard also add some thin foam tape to the area that the LED strip clips into the Light fixture shell. This will help keep the LED strip from rattling around.

10) Optional, this is tricky, but to prevent the light fixture from rattling against the glass you can add a very thing layer of silicone sealant (either clear or black) to the edge of the light fixture that touches the glass.

once again, sorry for not having any pictures... Both of the camera's I had access to died a horrible death and Smith Rocks (rock climbing).... tho at different dates.

I just did this mod this weekend, and the results are awesome... not sure if anybody else has the wierd rattling coming from their brake light fixture... but my ride is A LOT more enjoyable now.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:17 PM   #2
tristan
it's been a while

Drives: 2009 liftback
Oh man, thanks for this post! I had this annoying ass rattle coming from the hatch area and had no clue what was causing it, so I did what you posted, only I used double sided foam tape and used it on some of the areas you mentioned and it worked! Thanks =D
tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:10 PM   #3
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
ok not wanting to sound weird, but are you actually talking about the hatch or the general area of the hatch like the "trunk" and all. My rattle was due to the trunk floor being unlocked and the wrenches in the little compartments next to the spare wheel. I locked the floor and secured the wrenches no more rattle.
I'm talking solely about any rattle that comes from the top brake light light fixture found in the hatch of the liftbacks.

chances are... most people won't hear the sound as I've done a decent amount of sound deadening in the hatch already... So most of my rattles were gone. I was left with the light fixture making noise tho.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:29 PM   #4
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I have this "buzz" in my car too. It's most likely what you have posted the remedy for.
Is there any danger of those LEDs melting or burning the foam tapes?
That buzzing combines with myTRD exhaust can be VERY annoying.
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:06 AM   #5
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
I have this "buzz" in my car too. It's most likely what you have posted the remedy for.
Is there any danger of those LEDs melting or burning the foam tapes?
That buzzing combines with myTRD exhaust can be VERY annoying.
unless you somehow get a continuous grounded circuit, or you are pressing the brake pedal at all tiems while you drive, then no. the led bar is 12v but it is on for such a small amount of time.....
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:40 PM   #6
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
Maybe this was the rattling noise I keep hearing at times... What I hear sounds more inside the car though... not sure.

Will check tommorow.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
The drivers seatbelt on the pillar buzzes and rattles a bit from time to time. I just pull the belt out, snap it back and is vanishes.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:39 AM   #8
Treyz
~ ambient one ~

Drives: 2009 Bayou Yaris Liftback
Hmm .. thats weird, I've never experienced any of these in the 2 years I've owned my car.

ambientlifestyle.com------------ambientlifestyle.ning.com

Micro Image
Store - Network - Online
microimageonline.com------------microimage.ning.com
Treyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:34 PM   #9
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
there are wires for the wiper blade motor behind the plastic panel that covers the hatch . These can be the source as well . There are other causes as well . The plastic panel hits against the connections for the rear window defogger and against the metal of the hatch door located near top of window . The seat belt on roof of car can make noise as well . I've heard rattles coming from inside the rear corner panels where the seat belt mechanisms are . These too can a the culprit amongst others . I'v done rattle recon in rear seat of YARIS L.B. while the woman drove it over poor roads . We still have buzzes and rattles after fixes of panel and other mentioned sources . So , we just deal with it by turning up the stereo . Yes , I did fix the brake light as well . Sorry , for all the bad news .
gid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 03:33 PM   #10
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
With the hatch opened up, do you pull out towards your face -- or down, towards the ground? I can't find this is the service manual anywhere.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:57 AM   #11
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
if your talking about the piece in the door handle to pull hatch door down , it's up towards the window . It'll take a little force due to masking tape in back . I suggest you wrap screwdriver head with some kind of tape so you won't scratch plastic . Once it's out , pull out gently in corners of rear panel and along bottom edges . There are about 8 snaps . A few of them may fall into door frame or out while removing . Therefore , take your time . GOOD LUCK
gid is offline   Reply With Quote