Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-26-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
hvacigar

Drives: 2007 Civic
Thule roof rack with 3 door liftback

I was searching through the forum for information on people with the Thule roof rack on a 3-door liftback. I didn't find much, and researching outside the board I uncovered that Yakima doesn't even make a system for the 3-door. I finally found a pick of the Thule rack on a three door for those interested...it can be found here

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c..._2037_22799878

As for better pics, I have ordered all the parts, and I will put up pics once I am done with installation. I am installing the 400xtr rapid aero package. Some places will tell you that it is more expensive than the more common 400xt aero foot package, but with the 3 door, you have to use the short roof adaptor for the 400xt foot package, resulting in the aero package actually being cheaper in the end. There are some limitation with this choice, but if all you do is bike and snow sports, you should be good. Thule has a good site for fitting your car at www.thule.com

Last edited by hvacigar; 02-02-2009 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Pics now included
hvacigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:51 PM   #2
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Interesting; so they finally came out with a rack for the three door. Good find!

I see you're in Beaverton ... I'm in SW Portland. :-)
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:54 PM   #3
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
cool! i've wanted to see what it looks like on a yaris for quite some time. i never really liked the 'short roof adapter'(it's similar to yakima's stretch kit)- way too much clutter. the aero kit should look very clean! don't forget PICTURES!!!!!!!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:00 PM   #4
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
I don't go skiing, nor snowboarding. I don't own a bike, or a kayak. But I still want to rock one of these.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:22 PM   #5
Mead

Drives: BSP Yaris LB 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvacigar View Post
I was searching through the forum for information on people with the Thule roof rack on a 3-door liftback. I didn't find much, and researching outside the board I uncovered that Yakima doesn't even make a system for the 3-door. I finally found a pick of the Thule rack on a three door for those interested...it can be found here

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c..._2037_22799878

As for better pics, I have ordered all the parts, and I will put up pics once I am done with installation. I am installing the 400xtr rapid aero package. Some places will tell you that it is more expensive than the more common 400xt aero foot package, but with the 3 door, you have to use the short roof adaptor for the 400xt foot package, resulting in the aero package actually being cheaper in the end. There are some limitation with this choice, but if all you do is bike and snow sports, you should be good. Thule has a good site for fitting your car at www.thule.com
cool, keep us up to date with the rack, I'm interested too, can you fit a cargo box on it too?
Mead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:03 AM   #6
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
Want it! I go snowboarding and have a bike ^_^....
Btw, in that pic, is K.L. standing for our Kaotic? Says Sacramento, California...and he happens to be living in that area :P
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:39 AM   #7
hvacigar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mead View Post
cool, keep us up to date with the rack, I'm interested too, can you fit a cargo box on it too?
As for the cargo box, it is a situation where Thule does not recommend it. They also do not recommend any of their attachments with this kit other than

ski
bike
snowboard
basket

There is another person on this forum who put a cargo box on the top with another rack system that was bolted to the roof.

As for any logos or decals you see in that pic, I have no idea the origin of the car in that pic. The pic comes from the orsracks website. I found it while searching everywhere for pics of the Thule rack system on a 3 door lifty.

I will get pictures as soon as I am done with installation. Should be end of next week at the latest.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:13 AM   #8
Mead

Drives: BSP Yaris LB 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvacigar View Post
As for the cargo box, it is a situation where Thule does not recommend it. They also do not recommend any of their attachments with this kit other than

ski
bike
snowboard
basket

There is another person on this forum who put a cargo box on the top with another rack system that was bolted to the roof.

As for any logos or decals you see in that pic, I have no idea the origin of the car in that pic. The pic comes from the orsracks website. I found it while searching everywhere for pics of the Thule rack system on a 3 door lifty.

I will get pictures as soon as I am done with installation. Should be end of next week at the latest.
Thanks, how easy is it to remove / install the rack I wonder?

I've always wanted to put bikes on top of the Yaris but I worry about the MPGs with the rack on the roof all the time, I like to see a system that easily goes on and off the car.
Mead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:23 AM   #9
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Keep in mind that roof racks can put a serious hurt on your MPG of 10-15%. If possible, get one you can remove when you're not using.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:12 PM   #10
hvacigar

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo22 View Post
Keep in mind that roof racks can put a serious hurt on your MPG of 10-15%. If possible, get one you can remove when you're not using.
That is another good reason to purchase the aero package. It has a lower profile. Also, it is removable. I will leave it on for a while and let people know what my MPG loss was if any.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:04 PM   #11
thewifesyaris

Drives: 2007 and 2008 MM Yari LBs
Thats not a truly designed for the yaris roof rack. Its simply four universal pods and two rails. Look closely and you'll see how far back those rack bars go back just dangling there. I don't see that set-up being good for anything heavy. Petesredyaris had a much more safer, secure setup.

You'll need four of these or similar:
http://www.yakima.com/racks/rack-sys.../q-towers.aspx

And two of these:
http://www.yakima.com/racks/rack-sys...crossbars.aspx

I have wanted a roof rack for quite some time and have not found a way, besides drilling holes into the roof or this way, as of yet.

These would be the best bet, get four:
http://www.yakima.com/racks/rack-sys...aingutter.aspx

And these:
http://www.yakima.com/racks/rack-sys...wide-body.aspx

Then the poles, and so forth. So that your kayak or mountain bike isn't just hanging off the rear of your Yaris.

Last edited by thewifesyaris; 01-27-2009 at 07:34 PM.
thewifesyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:20 PM   #12
thewifesyaris

Than I looked up the link on the photo. Um... Not sure to how they work, but I'm researching it.
http://www.orsracksdirect.com/thule-...ota-yaris.html
Old 01-27-2009, 07:31 PM   #13
thewifesyaris

Yep the link here shows that these are just adapters for their foot posts, these adapters are solely for being secured to your door frame, which means that the bars will be super close together.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:40 PM   #14
thewifesyaris

Heres petes:

Old 01-27-2009, 08:59 PM   #15
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
GF has a kayak, and we both have nice bikes... no longer own snow stuff.... would love do put a rack on... but I just don't like the idea of having the feet spaced so close together... It'd be cool if they could make a rear anchor/foot that attached somehow in the hatch area. Would give i much better support.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:36 PM   #16
hvacigar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewifesyaris View Post
Heres petes:

Looks like Petes has gutters, and gutters mean drilling. Petes setup is definitely necessary on the Yaris if you want to carry larger items (like a cargo box as seen here). Thule rates the 2196 fit kit capable of carrying bikes, ski equipment, and snowboards, but nothing else. It fits my needs. If at some point I want more, I will have to have the roof drilled, and gutters put in.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:17 PM   #17
thewifesyaris

I was at my local Scheels the other day and got a quote on a special order for all the components for an install like Petes, the final price was around 500 bucks. Not all that bad for a complete system that CAN hold weight. I'm still curious to see what yours will look like hvacigar, I would like to see how much of the snowboard you will be looking at from the inside.

I'm looking at doing exactly as Pete has around the summer months, so that I will have room for all of my camping gear.

Look forward to seeing your install hvacigar!
Old 02-02-2009, 06:53 PM   #18
hvacigar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewifesyaris View Post

Look forward to seeing your install hvacigar!
Pics now included in original post. Sorry for the dirty car and the sunlight (we don't usually have the sunlight problem in Oregon this time of year). Install was strightforward (took about 40 minutes). I would suggest getting everything loosly assembled indoors and then "fitting" it onto the car. The critical measurements are the placement of the front towers and the distance between the front and rear. I would also recommend the front fairing. I installed without and there is a noticeable whistle from 40 to 70 MPH. After the fairing there is no noise at all. I have not carried anything yet, but I plan to carry the bike this week. I will update later with gas mileage, usage, and more pics with gear attached. I am happy so far with the purchase. ONe caveat. If you plan to carry over 50 kg (110 lbs), surfboards, or an enclosed cargo carrier...you have to go with a gutter install. This setup here works for me because the most weight I will carry is two bikes...which is easily under the weight limit. Enjoy...and glad I can contribute.