Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-20-2020, 06:53 AM   #1
lorne

Drives: 2007 1.3L AWD (auto) Vitz 5 dr
Coolant Temperature Gauge Anyone?

Has anyone installed an analog coolant temperature gauge? I'd like to know exactly (more or less) what is happening — at least more than the LED tells me. Japanese summers can be hot and very humid.

I'd ideally like an oil pressure gauge and an oil temperature gauge, but for now I'd be satisfied with knowing what my coolant is doing.

I did a search and nothing came up. I'd be reassured by hints of how to rig it up on a Yaris.
lorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:34 AM   #2
stidnam

Drives: Starlet
Couple of options. You can put an inline temp sensor in the bottom or top radiator hose or you could buy a OBD2 gauge like an aem x-series or a scangauge
stidnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 10:07 AM   #3
lorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by stidnam View Post
Couple of options. You can put an inline temp sensor in the bottom or top radiator hose or you could buy a OBD2 gauge like an aem x-series or a scangauge
Thanks ... those are some options I've not been aware of. I'm behind the times.
Old 08-23-2020, 04:45 PM   #4
ohms

Drives: 07 yaris 3door
get a cheap bluetooth OBDII reader - it plugs into the obd port, and then get an app for your phone (there are several - try dashcommand or torque to start off with) and you'll be able to see quite a few things that the car already has sensors for (water temp being one of them)
ohms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 07:01 AM   #5
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohms View Post
get a cheap bluetooth OBDII reader - it plugs into the obd port, and then get an app for your phone (there are several - try dashcommand or torque to start off with) and you'll be able to see quite a few things that the car already has sensors for (water temp being one of them)
Torque is a great app! For under $20.00 (app and OBD2 bluetooth adapter) and you can see so many sensor data points. Unfortunately, Toyota ECUs (at least the Yaris) won't give up data on trans temp, oil temp, oil pressure via OBD2. I installed dedicated gauges for these parameters.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 12:52 PM   #6
lorne

WOW ... you sure did! I don't think I will be following you. But it sure looks what I would like! Well, not quite. My 2007 1.3L AWD AT type is a pretty sedate, boring driver. Still, coolant temp would be great — even if I can't have oil temp and pressure.

This may be a dumb question, But is what your suggesting mean I have to know the port entries for the scan connection, and then have my smart phone reading something — I'm not really understanding, because I've been driving dinosaurs for so long.