Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-27-2010, 09:51 AM   #1
Reebirt
Yota

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 door Hatchback
First Inevitable Scratch.

My new Black 2010 4 door Hatchback has a scratch beside the drivers door.
I parked perfectly with lots of room on either side. There was no way Yota would get a scratch. Some colosal jack @$$ came in with a big pick up, pulled in so close to Yota that I couldn't figure out how he got out of his ugly truck... and sure enough, after a dusting this weekend, he did scratch the car. I am so mad, there was like 2.5 feet on the other side of the truck left in the parking space. I should get orange cones to put around my Yota.
I don't know how to buff that out? would wax fill in the scratch? it isn't bad at all, it just looks like someone rubbed up against it too hard. The scratches are white. It almost looks like it just scratched the clear coat, but I'm not sure how to buff that out without dulling the paint. I do have the black pearl touch up pen, but that would be thicker than the scratch itself.
Does anyone know of any products that will polish that away? unless I touch it up with the pen and then wipe it off litely so it just fills in the white part?
ps.. can't even feel the scratch.
Reebirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Meguiar's makes a very good product called "Scratch X" that is intended to buff out small scratches such as you have.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
Reebirt
Yota

will try it out! THANKS!
Old 09-27-2010, 12:54 PM   #4
Reebirt
Yota

ok, I got the Meguiar's Scrach X 2.0.
It didn't make much of a difference. It took out a bit of the white that was in the scratches. Thats it.
the scratch itself is very visable still. Is there a thicker product? what if I apply the Meguiar'as several times.
I tried to take a before and after picture, but all I got was a reflection, scratches too small to see.
I noticed Mother's had a scratch product, and so did Nu Finish. Does any one have any experience with those products?
Old 09-27-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Scratch X is ment to work with minor scratches only.
Perhaps your scratch is too deep for it.

Continued use in the same spot can strip the clear coat off so be carefull.

A pic would helpful so others can comment.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:42 PM   #6
Reebirt
Yota

Here is a bit of a pic. The Meguiar's took out most of the white, but scratch is still there. I'm guessing the scratch is too deep, even if I can't feel it.
I know of recomended body shop around the corner. Will see if they suggest anything.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp YotaScratch.bmp (391.4 KB, 185 views)
Old 09-27-2010, 01:56 PM   #7
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
That is definitely only a minor abrasion in the clear coat. For sure do not take the paint pen to that.

I've been very successful removing stuff like that on a black vehicle with jewelers polish. Toothpaste may work as well. Just rub in tiny circles along the scratch. Do not press hard, but continued light rubbing should buff the abrasion back to a clear state.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:35 AM   #8
rye7jen

Drives: 2nz-fe '10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
That is definitely only a minor abrasion in the clear coat. For sure do not take the paint pen to that.

I've been very successful removing stuff like that on a black vehicle with jewelers polish. Toothpaste may work as well. Just rub in tiny circles along the scratch. Do not press hard, but continued light rubbing should buff the abrasion back to a clear state.
^Will definitely try this one out. I have the same problem as the OP. I asked the dealer if what products should I use for the scratched part, he then gave me a spare liquid wax and told me just to buff it on till the scratch is completely remove. But I'm hesitant to do it. Hope Mr. Colgate will do the job.
rye7jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:02 PM   #9
Zebra

Drives: Yaris HB
I feel for you Reebirt, some folks just have no regard for the property of others. Last week I parked at WalMart choosing a safe spot for my little Yari, went in and did 15 minutes worth of shopping. When I got back to the car there was a big swipe across the left side of the rear bumper.

It only took a quick look to see all of the security cameras and since it was broad daylight I checked with their Security people for some clues. They wouldn't allow me to see the video but said they would investigate and get back to me. After a day of waiting I called back and the lady that answered said, 'You have the car that was hit by the cart pusher right?'. She informed me that insurance would be contacting me.

My Yaris was so new that it still had the temporary registration in the back window! Errrrgh!!! It's upsetting for sure....

Maybe the group should have a 'My Yaris has been to the Body Shop' club. T-Shirts, Caps, Jackets.... I can see a market here...
Old 10-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #10
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
I feel for you Reebirt, some folks just have no regard for the property of others. Last week I parked at WalMart choosing a safe spot for my little Yari, went in and did 15 minutes worth of shopping. When I got back to the car there was a big swipe across the left side of the rear bumper.

It only took a quick look to see all of the security cameras and since it was broad daylight I checked with their Security people for some clues. They wouldn't allow me to see the video but said they would investigate and get back to me. After a day of waiting I called back and the lady that answered said, 'You have the car that was hit by the cart pusher right?'. She informed me that insurance would be contacting me.

My Yaris was so new that it still had the temporary registration in the back window! Errrrgh!!! It's upsetting for sure....

Maybe the group should have a 'My Yaris has been to the Body Shop' club. T-Shirts, Caps, Jackets.... I can see a market here...
i am pretty sure every one on the board would be a member.