Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
sparrow

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris
Unhappy Check engine light on, car is running fine

I have an 07 Yaris S sedan... i've never had any issue with it at all, just passed 170k miles. yesterday my check engine light came on when i was driving in town, but can't figure out why. just had a smog three weeks ago and everything checked out there. The car is not driving any different than normal, not making any sounds, and i'm not due for an oil change. we did just get back from a 5 day trip away from home, and the car was sitting in the driveway the whole time we were gone. i read on some other forums that sometimes it can be condensation in the gas tank from sitting in the sun or getting bad gas but not sure if this would be it? The last fill up was at a Valero station, and I've used less than half the tank of gas before it sat while we were gone. i am 2 hours from a dealership or mechanic, so im a little nervous to try to drive it that far if something is seriously wrong... i know this is a little vague but i'm hoping someone might have some insight here since i am really not knowledgeable in this. Thanks for anything!
sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
Um, you can go to autozone or advance auto and they will check the trouble code for free. Without knowing what that code is, you are really just shooting in the dark at what it could be.

I keep a spare cable for my scangauge in my glovebox just to check trouble codes on vehicles of friends and family.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
You can drive the car, but retrieve the error code(s) as soon as possible. Also look closely at the engine for any leaks, and check your oil and coolant levels.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
sparrow

Thanks... unfortunately i am in CA so they won't check trouble codes for free here. but i found the device to check them for $60, maybe i will resort to that before I go pay $100/hr at the dealership. I will take a look at the coolant and oil to make sure as well.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
sparrow

scratch that, i found a code reader with great reviews for under $20 on Amazon... maybe i'll try that.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
esse10

Drives: 2009 yaris 2 door
code from sitting too long

could be emission related since the car set too long. once you find the code number just take a note of it, reset the whole ECU and see if all codes stays gone and if there really is a problem it'll come back.
esse10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #7
sparrow

thanks... ordered a code reader, will check the codes on Monday when it arrives and report back. hope its nothing expensive
Old 07-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #8
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
I would take note of the code (look it up, see what's up) and reset the code. If it comes back, then take further measures.

Some are as simple as a loose gas cap. emissions are funny things.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #9
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
It's probably the oil change interval reminder.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:57 AM   #10
yaitsme

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Sometimes you can clear the "Check engine" light just by disconnecting both terminals of the battery and waiting about 10 minutes, then reconnect the battery and check again. If it goes away and doesn't come back it could be something as simple as loose gas cap or something. If it comes back then check the specific code when you get your OBDII scanner.
yaitsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 02:47 AM   #11
ladydiyer
I've made a post!

Drives: toyota yaris 98
I Know this is an old post, how did it turn out? Anyway,
I found this quote at youcanic.
"An OBD2 scanner can reset the Toyota check engine light as long as there are no other issues present.

If the light doesn't reset within a couple of days, the next step would be to read the fault codes with an OBD-II scanner. " hope it helps
ladydiyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check, engine, light, sedan, yaris