Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-24-2022, 08:22 PM   #1
yaris4eva

Drives: toyota yaris RS
Car height ?

Hi guys my car measures 1/4" lower on the left.. i installed new strut assembly in the front from KYB with springs and it brought the car 1/2" higher but it still was higher on right side. So i installed the oem coil springs on the new struts and this brought the car back down to original height, but its still 1/4" higher on the right side(passenger) Why is it higher on that side.. is it because i have the tranny and battery on the left ?? Can anyone explain.
My car is a 2011 Yaris RS with very low mielage roughly 74 500 kms

Thanks
yaris4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:58 PM   #2
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
im actualy semi suprised its not on the right as a "compensation" for driver weight since the car ALWAYS has a driver and not always passengers, its quite common to have a car that sans driver sits higher on the driver side without driver in place

with the OE springs having "settled" in it wouldnt suprise me to have the drivers side lowwer, but with new springs that shoudnt be the case, so not really sure, id swap the springs right to left and see if it persists..if it does youve got a missmanufactured strut assembly or the car got hit at some point and needs a frame machine
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:17 PM   #3
yaris4eva

I did have a small hit about 4 years ago, but just the front bumper...fenders were not touched.. Yes i rarely bring passengers, maybe a couple times a year. im not to heavey around 160lbs... plus my garage has a slant.. otherwise the car drives like a new car... i did rotate the coil springs... still the same. Someone told me its because i have the transmassion, battery etc on the left side..So extra weight.
Old 05-26-2022, 01:59 AM   #4
sh0rtlife

mines perfectly level and sitting on its original coils and struts, only reason im sure of this is 1 my wife bought it new, and second, when i mounted the chins i did alot of measurements

aside from taking some specific measurements....in some very key points

was it like this before the strut swap?...if yes, then youve got something tweaked on the car, if not then the new struts dont match in specs

in theory your slanted garage can tweak springs, heck ive seen many a truck frame get twisted for being parked goofy, while a unibody is less prone to getting tweaked due to wonky parking, springs are still less forgiving in that matter, but "new" springs and the fact you swapped sides tells me its a strut or chassis issue
Old 05-27-2022, 12:39 AM   #5
sh0rtlife

something else that popped into my head found on a friends porsche about a decade ago, they had parted out a wrecked race 944 turbo rs2, and swapped alot of good parts onto his car, but the rear never sat right, one side was "off" from the other and it came down to a tweaked swaybar...so maybe your swaybars tweaked?
Old 05-27-2022, 05:34 AM   #6
yaris4eva

Lol does my car even have a sway bar ?? The struts i have on are brand new just a month old and they are KYB's with original OEM spring. The KYB springs made the car ride to high, so i swapped back the OEM springs which only have about 74 000 kms... my car wasnt new when ipurchased it but the original owner war a car.. and i bought it 43 000 kms and still on quarantee.
Old 05-29-2022, 12:04 AM   #7
sh0rtlife

new doesnt always mean they were made right..ive gotten load of bad out of box parts over the decades
Old 05-29-2022, 06:21 AM   #8
yaris4eva

im gonna rotate the back coil springs and see what that gives,,,, easy job.