Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-13-2009, 11:07 PM   #1
AutoXBot

Drives: 2009 Yaris HB
Fuel Economy W/ Performance Mods

Hey guys, I just recently bought a 2009 4 dr. Yaris hatch with automatic transmission. I'm really impressed with the MPG I am getting with the car, BUT performance wise not so much. I wanted to find out if adding the following to my Yaris would drastically improve or hurt my MPG:

-NST Under drive crank pulley

-Aftermarket exhaust (looking towards Tanabe or Nitto, which one is better?) Also will the aftermarket exhaust drag if I were to lower with some NF210 on 16'' wheels?

-Megan Racing Headers

Do any (by itself or combination) of the above affect my MPG? Right now everything is stock and only have 900 miles on the engine and have been getting 38 mpg. I mostly drive highway and don't want the MPG to lower. I want an increase in performance (mainly the 0-40 mph acceleration), and most importantly increase or maintain my current MPG. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again for all your help/knowledge.
AutoXBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:15 PM   #2
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
The best performance mod for FE: the lightest wheels you can find.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:47 PM   #3
AutoXBot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
The best performance mod for FE: the lightest wheels you can find.
Thanks for the reply. So intake, exhaust, and headers will just reduce my fuel economy? Also, what the weight of our wheels? I have stock steel 15'' with full wheel covers.

Thanks again.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:51 PM   #4
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
i say stick with your stock wheels and stock tires. even if you get lightweight 14s, the tire you put on there will probably both equal heavier than your stock wheel and tire. Atleast that was the case for my setup. I had the stock 14" wheels and skinny tires from the factory. The stock rim was suppose to weigh 14lbs, not sure what it weighed with the stock tire on it. Anywho, I got lighter aftermarket rims (10-11lbs) which were lighter than mystock rims. however, once i put my tire on that rim, it combined to be heavier than my stock wheel and rims. But i'm not going for FE.

i'd just get the underdrive pulley and takeout the back seat.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:57 PM   #5
ChinoCharles
Banned

That question is going to produce a bunch of conflicting advice and findings. Some people will say "my header added 3 HP," some will say the opposite, someone will say it got them laid and some that it left them lonely. There isn't really any solid, empirical proof. Let the opinion slinging commence!

MY opinion...

Intake: stock tune, more air SHOULD mean less fuel to complete the combustion cycle. I'd guess the RIGHT intake will increase F/E. I'd also guess its good to keep some pressure in the tube... air pressure = velocity. Therefore I'd guess lapping some huge 2.5" short ram wouldn't help as much as a longer, narrower TRD intake that draws colder air away from the cabin. I'll take the short ram at WOT, but are you gunning it to the grocery store?

Exhaust: my guess is that there is a reason why the stock exhaust is so tiny. It was tuned for that, so widening it would probably hurt economy. It'll help if you drive it like you stole it all the time, but this car wasn't designed for that.

Pulleys: in the efficiency game, a lighter pulley should mean a more efficient engine. I'd guess this is the only one of the three that will yield positives every single time. However, I'd also guess the gains aren't even noticable.

Disclaimer: I used the word "guess" 6 times.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:58 PM   #6
ChinoCharles
Banned

And no, you wouldn't drag the exhaust on the ground on NF's, DF's or any other springs unless you had too long a hanger holding it to the car.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:02 AM   #7
AutoXBot

Awesome, you guys are great! Thanks again.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:04 AM   #8
ChinoCharles
Banned

Quote:
And lighter wheels... say it. LOL. Those two are good though.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:07 AM   #9
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
lol. only lighter wheels if his new tires are skinny as lindsay lohan.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:11 AM   #10
nisyota

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
i never thought of lighters wheels... hmm, interesting...

IMO, i think if you go with an aftermarket intake or drop-in filter and exhaust you should be fine. the reason why you wont be keeping the same mpg is because you'll want to punch it more, thus using more gas. now, if you kept the same rythm, nice and easy than you might get better mpg.

yes, our cars are tuned for stock set-up, but i believe if im not wrong that these computers can relearn if there is a change. if you add an aftermarket intake or a drop-in filter, than more air will enter. More are means that more air will need to be exiting the car. if not, than it might just bog down the car. youll see little if any performance gain and maybe a hair better of mpg...

exhaust: if you add a 2" or 2.25" exhaust piping, than you might be able to save... no back pressure in the exhaust is good. now, go too big and the air will just scavenge and that is what you do not want. you want a flow through pipe with barely any back pressure and no scavenge. i but if you add the two together, than they work in sync.

if you add headers, it might save, but again, its like having a supercharger. It saves gas, but IVE GOT A SUPERCHARGER... There is no babying my car with a supercharger... LOL
nisyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:39 AM   #11
Hosh's One

Drives: 3 Door Hatchback 5 speed "S"
unfortunately, with a 4 cylinder econo-car, there's gotta be a sacrifice...either high MPG and not so good power, or vise-versa...I would personally prefer the power of a V6 and still have the Yaris MPG, but that's obviously not happening...

I know PETERPOOP bought his Yaris first for the need of a daily driver with better MPG (and has sold me on the Yaris as well), but has since put in a supercharger!

I am buying a Yaris with the intent of taking advantage of the great MPG due to long distance daily driving..but am planning on putting everything except a supercharger or turbo (for now anyways)..yah I will most likely lose some MPG as one would expect, BUT how much is it to you to go down to say...35 mpg compared to the stock 38-40 mpg but now having some noticeable difference in power?
Hosh's One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:30 AM   #12
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Let us know what sort of changes you notice after the mods.

Good Luck!
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:46 AM   #13
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
I just traded-in a 2008 Chevy Cobalt four door sedan with auto tranny on a 2009 Yaris sedan with auto tranny. The Cobalt had amazing acceleration with its 2.2 L Ecotech engine. I couldn't believe the power that little car had! It was rated for about 147 HP, I believe.

I was looking for better gas mileage and better assurance of long term reliability when I bought the Yaris. I was getting about 28 MPG on my normal driving with the Cobalt, and I hoped to get 38 MPG with the Yaris. I believe that I will see that kind of mileage after break-in, because I got 37.4 on my last fill-up. As far as the reliability, hey, Toyotas are famous for that, right?

I said all that to give you a little background for what I am about to say: I am very happy with the trade-off that I made between acceleration and MPG. No, the Yaris does not have the power of the Cobalt, but the Yaris has ENOUGH power to suit me; I do not think it is UNDER powered. I am very happy with the extra MPG, and I consider my gains there to be more valuable to me than what I gave up in terms of power.

The Yaris is actually more fun to drive than was my Cobalt, even though the Yaris lacks by a long shot the power that the Cobalt had.

Tom
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:19 PM   #14
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
Your location is LA

AS in Louisiana or as in Los Angeles?

If you are in LA and have a 5 door, you need to get your free parts! http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17281
Old 05-14-2009, 01:40 PM   #15
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
ok so far i got prm intake and axleback straigh thru exhaust...so far its even giving me better mpg if i drive the same way as before.. but it has extra kick now when to ram on the gas.. intake did notice a difference on the top end.. but the straigh thru exhaust even though its only axleback it did have a very noticeable difference when car is pushed.. responds a lot better that stock exhaust..no B.S.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:55 PM   #16
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERPOOP View Post
i say stick with your stock wheels and stock tires. even if you get lightweight 14s, the tire you put on there will probably both equal heavier than your stock wheel and tire. Atleast that was the case for my setup. I had the stock 14" wheels and skinny tires from the factory. The stock rim was suppose to weigh 14lbs, not sure what it weighed with the stock tire on it. Anywho, I got lighter aftermarket rims (10-11lbs) which were lighter than mystock rims. however, once i put my tire on that rim, it combined to be heavier than my stock wheel and rims. But i'm not going for FE.

what size tire did you pick?
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:58 PM   #17
ChinoCharles
Banned

Yeah, that made no sense to me. How did a lighter wheel and the same tire end up weighing more than that tire on the stock wheels? Alchemy?
Old 08-05-2009, 02:25 PM   #18
Marthos

Drives: 07 3Dr LB
If you wanna get the parts and try them goahead!

If the MPG drops you can always put your stock parts back on.

Then you can sell me the uneeded USED performance parts cheap!!!!

Marthos is offline   Reply With Quote