Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-31-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
JacobFL
I've made a post!

Drives: Jeep
How Well does the Yaris handle on dirt roads?

I am thinking about getting a Yaris because I drive many miles a day and the Yaris seems affordable but nice for a small hatchback car and I am looking for something with great MPG. There is one road I often drive on that is a dirt/clay road and when it rains hard, the road turns to mush in places for about a mile. People with small 2 wheel drive cars (Corollas, etc.) usually get through the road without being stuck but it can be difficult. I have driven down that road when it is muddy in a small car like an old Ford Escourt and when the road was really bad I remember just getting by without getting stuck. When the road was only sort of muddy I could get by in the Escourt whthout too much trouble. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Yaris on such a bad, muddy road. I figure with the skinny tires it might be easy to get stuck. I don't expect it to get through mud like a Jeep, obviously!
JacobFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
If you're worried, just get wide wheels.. it handles snow very well so presumably, equipped properly, it could do quite well.

I haven't drive in mud before though.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
It's definitely all about the tires. The Yaris actually does extremely well traction-wise. Me plowing snow and pulling neighbors' cars out of snow banks with one is a great testament to that.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I did a dirt road last week that was slush/mud/water/ice, on stock tires that need replacing. It was pretty sketchy, but I imagine that some decent all weathers or even snow tires could help. Then again, there's always rally tires...
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:09 AM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Here my Yaris on the Daulton Highway in Alaska.

A lot of its dirt.
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #6
Still Learning

Drives: 07 Yaris 3Dr HB
Nice shots of Alaska country!
Still Learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #7
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
19 miles of wash board sandy/small gravel in both directions-never again. the car shakes horribly over wash boards-barely able to go 10 mph. amazing the car held together the shaking got so bad before I slowed enough. short wheel base and front wheel drive did not like the gravel road in my situation.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #8
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
mudguards might help with the kick up of rocks/mud....

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #9
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVitz View Post
19 miles of wash board sandy/small gravel in both directions-never again. the car shakes horribly over wash boards-barely able to go 10 mph. amazing the car held together the shaking got so bad before I slowed enough. short wheel base and front wheel drive did not like the gravel road in my situation.
I'm with UTVitz and wouldn't dare take the Yaris on dirt/gravel roads (at least not the ones in the West/Southwest.) Not because of traction issues, but because of the potential for damage to the suspension.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #10
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVitz View Post
Not my experience in BC/Yukon /AK at all. I drove prolly a thousand miles on gravel and dirt without a problem. On the Cassiar Highway I kept it at 60 mph on the chipseal and slowed (at first) for the gravel sections. After a while the car did so well on the gravel I just kept going 60.

Put my Yaris in with 20 other Yaris and pick out the one driven to AK and back.

You wont be able to tell.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #11
Yury

Drives: 2008 5 Door Liftback Auto
they have something called "rough road package" for Yaris..always wondered what that was.
The suspension is kinda firm, but other than that I imagine it should be as well as other cars. With the advantage of being easier to push out when you get stuck due to low weight.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:43 PM   #12
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Ironically, there is less amplitude in the vibrations at higher speeds, despite the increase in frequency. I have always preferred to drive 40+ on dirt/gravel in any vehicle, unless there are big ruts or washouts.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #13
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
It's definitely all about the tires. The Yaris actually does extremely well traction-wise. Me plowing snow and pulling neighbors' cars out of snow banks with one is a great testament to that.
Couldn't agree more, the tires are what matters. Driven on tons of dirt/ gravel roads and it is wicked fun, drove in slush of about3-6" and the car couldn't handle it at all, because I was on so called ''all weather tires" I bought in florida, where snow doesn't happen so all weather becomes all sun and rain tires.

Then I had a Saab with good bad road tires where I could drive in any amount of dirt or snow or crap and I would never get stuck.

So just buy tires that can handle the muck and the Yaris will do great.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #14
caineroad

Drives: 06 Yaris HB CE
i can tell you once you get stuck even the slightest you won't be able to pull yourself out, this is the only thing i don't like about the yaris. i was stuck in sand once and snow once, but only one wheel from the front spins when i give it gas, the other wheel just stays motionless! if both wheels spin together I'm sure the yari would be able to pull himself out
caineroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #15
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
I live on a dirt road that gets mushy, icey etc. The Yaris is no better or worse then any other rig I've had. I certainly don't baby it, hell, it's a Toyota! Tires are the key, though nothing special, just good as I would have any other rig I drive on the same road. The low ground clearance, in deep snow, is an obvious problem, but that's why I have the '89 All-Trac!

The only negative is the back window gets really dirty quick, due to the aerodynamics. I don't care about that, that why I have side mirrors. Call it privacy glass.......
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #16
joe keeney

Drives: yaris 2 door hatch
little car that can

Quote:
Originally Posted by caineroad View Post
i can tell you once you get stuck even the slightest you won't be able to pull yourself out, this is the only thing i don't like about the yaris. i was stuck in sand once and snow once, but only one wheel from the front spins when i give it gas, the other wheel just stays motionless! if both wheels spin together I'm sure the yari would be able to pull himself out
try family dollar 7 pound bag of cat litter only a dollar makes for great traction.
joe keeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #17
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
It does ok, however, I don't drive much in the dirt.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:55 PM   #18
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe keeney View Post
try family dollar 7 pound bag of cat litter only a dollar makes for great traction.
that won't help. The Yaris has an open diff, buying a LSD would help that, but those are expensive.