Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-04-2021, 07:08 AM   #1
gaelicfrank

Drives: 2009 JDM Vitz RS 1NZ-FE
Oil return, management and other questions

Fellow yaris owners,

I'm, looking to boost my 1nzfe Vitz RS on the cheap. I have a used IHI RHF5 turbo that I got got free, an old intercooler that I'll clean up, also for free, and an ebay BOV, also free, and a log type manifold that I got for like $40. Not looking to make mad HP here. But the oil return, is giving me pause. It was easy on my civic, just tapping into the oil pan, but the 1nzfe seems I'll have to drill into the block itself and I dont really want to do that. Is there and adaptor I can use to have the return use the drain plug? or some other method?

Also, I've been reading a lot about the emanage blue, but I feel like that system is just too old, anyone using the AEM FIC? I've been told that the emanage ultimate would work, I've only really ever used the Emanage blue and Hondata. What system is effective but cheap?

I plan to boost my stock motor.
gaelicfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:23 PM   #2
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaelicfrank View Post
Fellow yaris owners,

I'm, looking to boost my 1nzfe Vitz RS on the cheap. I have a used IHI RHF5 turbo that I got got free, an old intercooler that I'll clean up, also for free, and an ebay BOV, also free, and a log type manifold that I got for like $40. Not looking to make mad HP here. But the oil return, is giving me pause. It was easy on my civic, just tapping into the oil pan, but the 1nzfe seems I'll have to drill into the block itself and I dont really want to do that. Is there and adaptor I can use to have the return use the drain plug? or some other method?

Also, I've been reading a lot about the emanage blue, but I feel like that system is just too old, anyone using the AEM FIC? I've been told that the emanage ultimate would work, I've only really ever used the Emanage blue and Hondata. What system is effective but cheap?

I plan to boost my stock motor.
Yarisworld is pretty sleepy these days. I hope that the site doesn't close down as it's an amazing source of info.

Sounds like an exciting project. Drilling and tapping the block is necessary for the oil return due to the shallow pan, though I believe some people welded a bung to the pan. This wouldn't be my preferred method as I like the oil coming out above the oil level as it doesn't take much to backfeed oil into the CHRA. Use the biggest possible fittings and drain hose that you can. I tapped and threaded the block on my 2ZR-swapped Yaris. Also, I would consider sending your return piping over the axle as opposed to under it. This will, of course depend on how low your log manifold places the turbo.

Have you measured to see if your turbo will clear the firewall? I had to make a sizeable indentation in my firewall. I also poly filled my dogbone mount to reduce engine play.

I am using the AEM F/IC. I have a safe enough tune, but I think the AEM F/IC is kind of crude. I must confess that I haven't spent a lot of time learning all of its capabilities. I did fiddle with fueling and O2 spoofing. I will probably dive deeper into it this summer. At some point, I'd like to acquire something with a better closed loop fueling strategy. I installed a DIY water methanol system for safety. Occasionally, I have hot start long cranking. When cold, I just touch the key and it fires right up. The car drives perfectly with the F/IC, but I'd like to ditch my water/meth system and control the fueling more accurately. I don't know anything about the eManage.

If you haven't seen my thread, it might help answer some questions. The 1NZ and 2ZR are similar enough that much of the approaches will be transferable.

https://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sh...ight=2zr+turbo

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:01 AM   #3
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Any developments?

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 07:29 AM   #4
lani100

Drives: Yaris T sport TRD turbo
Best option is to drill the block. The original Vitz Rs turbo uses a banjo bolt on the oil drain bolt.

But it's common to give issues so a lot of people remove it and tap the block, better to do it right first time.
E-Manage can work if setup right but they aren't ideal.