Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-26-2019, 07:37 PM   #1
KALISPEL II

Drives: '22 Mazda CX-30 CE AWD 6-AT
I pulled the trigger! - 6-spd Manual 2020 Corolla SE Sedan

Well, I decided to go ahead & pull the trigger on a 2020 Toyota Corolla SE Sedan this last weekend (Super White, 6-spd manual - the only trim with the manual option). The deal was way too good to pass up. It was another case of an unwanted manual-transmission beauty sitting on a local dealer lot for a bit over 4 months, and a dealer who just wanted to move it. My 5-spd manual Yaris SE sat unwanted for 11 months in Colorado Springs before I bought it in 2015.

Since the purchase Saturday, my reset onboard computer has me averaging 41.1 MPG during my break-in period thus far, which is only slightly less than what my Yaris was averaging for me over the years (it was averaging 42.x MPG). I filled the Corolla up to the brim with fuel, so that I can manually calculate the MPG after driving for a full week, & see how it matches up to the onboard computer calculations.

I'm still getting used to having 6 shift gears instead of 5, but it's all good (5 gears is really more my speed though, & seems more practical for a manual). Shifting is smooth, clutch feel is silky-sweet & the 2.0L 169 horsepower Dynamic Force direct+port-injection engine really is the perfect balance of fun & economy. Toyota has really upped their game since the last-gen Corolla in terms of feel, comfort, stance & even styling (which looks a lot better in person than the weird/compressed camera angle pics that you mostly see on the net). Nothing about this car feels like a compact economy car (at least in the SE+ sedan trim level), though technically it is more the size of what my 2000 Accord EX sedan was back in the day before they started making them too large. Still, I do miss some of the minimalistic, rustic & basic elements of my Yaris, and even its endearing, featherweight go-cart driving/handling qualities. This car still has too much stupid/unnecessary tech-bloat features for my taste, and it's not even an XSE. It's interesting how the SE sedan is more like the XSE sedan, overall, than the SE Corolla hatchback is to the XSE hatchback.

I will use this thread to post some pics in the coming weeks, as well as post my likes, dislikes, & random impressions/thoughts about the car relative to my 2015 Yaris ownership experience. I have a few ideas on some minor, tasteful mods, including a creative way to break up the solid black/dark-gray grill & L/R light housings on the front maw of the sedan to give it more of a traditional look. I'm still pissed that Toyota discontinued the upcoming TNGA Yaris for the U.S./NA market - as I would have bought one of those in the SE+ trim for sure instead if it was available here.

-

Last edited by KALISPEL II; 08-27-2019 at 12:52 AM.
KALISPEL II is offline   Reply With Quote