Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-17-2009, 02:08 AM   #37
Red Horse

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan A/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
I switched to synthetic oil on my 89 acura legend. Had 200k miles on it at the time. First the oil pan gasket started to leak. I fixed that. 2 weeks later the distributer o ring seal started to leak. Fixed that. 2 weeks later the upper valve cover gaskets started to leak. Fixed that. 2 weeks later the side valve covers started to leak so fixed that. Then about a month went by and then the oil cooler seal started to leak. So fixed that. About few months went by then the rear main seal started to leak. Finally just sold the car. All i know is i was driving about a year with no oil leaks till i switched to synthetic and then the nightmares began.
Holy crap! Good thing I read this, I was planing to go to walmart to get some motorcraft syntetic for my saturn. Syntetic is probably liquid texture that can pass through gasket.

Red Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:10 AM   #38
Red Horse

What about the high milage oil? Would be that good for old engine and what is the difference on the regular oil?

Old 12-17-2009, 01:19 PM   #39
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Horse View Post
What about the high milage oil? Would be that good for old engine and what is the difference on the regular oil?
High milage oil basically just has some additional detergents in it to help clean out sludge etc from an older, neglected engine.

It's really nothing special and it is just a marketing gimmick.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #40
Red Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
High milage oil basically just has some additional detergents in it to help clean out sludge etc from an older, neglected engine.

It's really nothing special and it is just a marketing gimmick.
Thank you, I will stick w/ my regular oil cause to what I read before the detergent makes the sludge.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:47 PM   #41
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
The problem with synthetic oils in older cars is they clean everything out too well. So then you get every single leak that normal dino oil filled in leaking all at the same time.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:29 PM   #42
Sidicas

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Horse View Post
Holy crap! Good thing I read this, I was planing to go to walmart to get some motorcraft syntetic for my saturn. Syntetic is probably liquid texture that can pass through gasket.
Haha, yea man.. We've got 3 Saturns here..

A pair of 2001 SL-1s (one auto and one manual) and my '93 Saturn SC2. All three of them burn a quart of non-synthetic 5W-30 a month, I'd think with synthetic clearing out all the sludge, it would be even worse..

If it wasn't for my tranny dieing on my '93 Saturn SC2 at 123,000 miles, I'd still be riding it around today.. Looks like the tranny is dieing on my dad's 2001 SL1 as well at around 145,000 miles... My dad is VERY rough on automatics, always forces a downshift when he comes up to a stop light and really doesn't use the brakes much.. I tell him not to do it and he yells at me that I don't know what I'm talking about and says it doesn't hurt anything..

Oh well, all of our Automatic saturns now have tranny issues. My Saturn SC2 started refusing to downshift manually and then it lost 5th gear altogether and would always go straight into neutral after about 45MPH until slowed down to about 20MPH..

Still, Saturns have great engines in them.. My mom's manual Saturn SL1 is coming up on 200,000 miles and aside from new rotors, break pads, and a starter, it has had almost no problems. Running regular non-synthetic 5W-30 all the way..

/rant
Sidicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:44 PM   #43
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
Do not go back to the shop that told you that.
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:37 PM   #44
drainplugkiller
I've made a post!

Drives: Chevy Aveo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
I swithed to synthetic at 1,500 miles for my 2007 HB Yaris...at 75,000 miles now, the pistons are slapping, burns 3 quarts of oil per mile, and the tranny shoots red gew all over the cars behind me....If only I had listened to this men at the repair shop...dang!!!
Try putting your drain plug back in.
drainplugkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #45
racerb

Drives: 2010 Yaris HB Blazin' Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
The problem with synthetic oils in older cars is they clean everything out too well. So then you get every single leak that normal dino oil filled in leaking all at the same time.
Exactly right, Amsoil recommends using their engine flush first before even pouring in the first quart. Most cars never get the proper service, so all kinds of bad things show up.
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:39 PM   #46
lenzomaru

Drives: 07' Yaris S & 89' Mazda 323 LX
Hi i noticed your message signature.

I would like to use syntec oil, but as a way to save money as this will extend my oil change time, i currently change my oil at 5000km (dusty roads,day temp avg 31 deg c) with syntec i believe i can go for 10,000 saving me money for oil filters and also time (as i change oil myself) My yaris takes a little under 4 qts of oil

- 4 qt of castrol 10w 30 dino oil is $30 US
- 4 qt castrol 10w 30 full syntec $53 US

Since i'll be doing 2 dino oil changes in the same amount of time (10,000km) i'll have to buy 8 qts dino oil totaling $60 US as compared to $53 US for the full syntec during the same period (10,000) also i will have to purchase and extra oil filter ($20US) and my time to change it.

so the syntec works out for me