Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-07-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
colb

Drives: yaris
Gas mileage logging online?

What do you Yaris guys use for gas mileage logs?

I logged in an Excel file for about a year before I found gassavers.org. I found that they did not have any way to upload more than 1 entry at a time, so I said screw it. Then I found fuelly.com, which is prettier and allows you to upload .csv files with a batch of gas logs at once. Neither site is perfect and fuelly seems to almost be in an unfinished state sometimes, but I haven't opened my excel file in months.

The link to my page is
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/bentheswift

I logged with my MR2 for about a year before I swapped the motor, so the "retired" MR2 is the logs before the motor swap and the non-retired car is the same car with the new motor. I also have my wife's tC and my new All-Trac on there now too, and I convinced my mom to start logging her '06 xA. :D

Any other options out there? I can't say I'm satisfied with fuelly's limited analysis tools and gassavers.org doesn't seem to be any better (nor do I have the patience to upload hundreds of fuel logs).
colb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9527

I made my own spreadsheet that does pretty much everything. It has averages, graphs, etc. I've added a lot more to it recently, so I'm not sure how different the one in my post is from what I have now.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:04 PM   #3
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

The way my graph looks currently. I don't like winter.
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2009, 08:08 PM   #4
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

I've also got a section for maintenance, payments, modifications, etc.

This has been a mini project for me for a while.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:48 PM   #5
colb

Right, I've got a similar spreadsheet that I used for about a year, but I've found that since I use several different computers that it's easier to log online. I also like the database aspect of these sites, being able to look up "real world" gas mileage for real people driving on real roads, since the EPA testing is often as inaccurate as the EPA is corrupt and/or stupid.

I used some more complicated data analysis tools in my spreadsheet that I wish were available online. Things like cost per day/month, E10 to gas mpg ratio, 3-tank rolling averages, correlating miles per day to miles per gallon, and using the standard deviation to pick out bad numbers or mechanical problems. None of the online pages offer these options. Fuelly, especially, does not even allow you to list what transmission you have, or if there is an optional motor (only the piston configuration). That makes comparing your car to cars like it much more difficult, almost to the point of being stupid.

I figure that mileage logs are only interesting until you've logged enough to predict what your car should do. If you are not modifying your car or route or driving style, or if you aren't expecting problems or changes that affect gas mileage, then there's no real point in continuing to log for years and years -- unless you are posting your information for others to see and learn from.

In my MR2 I logged for about 20,000 miles over the course of 9 months of commuting 500-750 miles a week. I messed with the car a lot and by the end of those 9 months I was had increased my average mpg by almost 15% to almost 35mpg (in a 25-year-old sportscar mind you :D). Now, for our new Scion, we took it on a 2500 mile road trip, and then we've been driving basically the same combination of city/highway miles ever since, and our mpg has been virtually constant. There's not much more we can learn right now. I'm thinking after we take another road trip over spring break I'll postpone logging for a year or two. I'm interested in seeing how mpg changes between the first few thousand miles and 20k/60k/100k, but there's not much to learn in between. If we change tires or something maybe, but I'm smart enough to know not to mess with the wife's car :)
Old 03-11-2009, 07:56 PM   #6
colb

Nobody else logs gas mileage?
Old 03-11-2009, 08:08 PM   #7
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Not me, but it's kind of interesting to see others do it :)
I confess I do keep track manually and write down the mileage on the receipts when I fill up the tank. Then I use that to calculate my MPG.
On the last tank, I did approx. 32 MPG (city and highway). I should be able to do better than that next time since I don't stall at every intersection anymore (long story).

Last edited by tomato; 03-11-2009 at 08:10 PM. Reason: clarity
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:36 AM   #8
Woody_Woodchuck

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB 5M
I log mine at Cleanmpg.com. I also have a spreadsheet so I can calculate anything else I need. - Woody
Old 03-13-2009, 03:41 PM   #9
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I log mine at GasSavers.org.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote