Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 02:47 AM   #1
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Drives: 2010 1E7 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via MSN to .Kevin.
Getting rid of the Yaris?

Hi everyone, I've decided after awhile of thinking that I will be looking to get rid of my yaris if not now, later.

I want something bigger, maybe faster after looking around it seems this car isn't my joy the interiors size makes me feel iffy. Not that I don't like the car, I just feel its too much of a toy for me.

So I've decided to start pocketing my cheques instead of investing in it.

My car is on 5 years financing with toyota credit, 0 percent. Extended warranty. It was the base model sedan, but I added everything I could from the dealer to keep it's warranty. Aftermarket was a Sub woofer 10 inch with box, debadging, local towns window tinting which is glorified upon the place even had their street named after them as a gift from the mayor. And some other little things.

Anyways to my point what do you guys recommend me for this all.

1. Trade the car in with what I still owe stacking onto another vehicle I want.

2. Finish paying the vehicle off and trade it in, in the future and just save or atleast try to. (4 years seems like a long time though, so much can change and I've payed a year off already maybe abit more.)

3. Sell it off to someone for 1,000$ or so and let them take over payments and the car itself.

My goal is not to screw my credit or anything along those lines whatsoever.

What do you all recommend, and this isn't a convince me to keep my Yaris thread. I plan to stick around afterward because I love this forum.

My goal is to maybe get the newest Subaru Impreza 2.4L 4 door or 5 door Limited.

Last edited by .Kevin.; 05-22-2011 at 03:44 AM.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
big lo

Drives: 2007 VIOS
You should think it through Kevin, are you really ready for a gas guzzler,lol. Before you do check what options you have and what are you really looking for meaning size or speed?
TRD sportivo springs,Tokico Blue Shock/Struts,TRD rear sway bar & front bar,Tanabe engine bar,MI hoses (red), MI engine cover,SRI intake,VIOS vent visors,VIOS foglights,VIOS tails (HELLA lights & the Series 5 too),VIOS radio,VIOS badge,VIOS grill,18 inch R-1 rims wrapped in nankang tires 215/35-18z,chrome handles,retrofited the headlights, SHARK body kit (VIOS), Coming soon projectors heads with LED strip, Custom seats, MI hood lifts,MI momo steering wheel, sound system :)
Old 05-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
if you're upside down on the loan, keep the car.

once you drive a yaris, though, everything looks like a gas guzzler (at least to me)

if you don't need more space right now, just wait until you NEED something larger. gas prices won't be going down in the future.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
This is what, the 2nd or 3rd time in a handful of months you feel this way?

Since gas is getting higher, you should be able to find someone to take over the loan, not sure if you could get anyone to give you any extra cash to do it, but you can try.

Don't try and trade it in, you could try and sell it on your own, but even then odds are you will get less than you owe, which kills the point.

I will of course put in the obligatory you should keep it, even if you get a toy on the side. You can take more risks with a toy or fun type car when you know you have a reliable daily driver sitting waiting for you.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
carnageehw

Drives: 2010 Fusion Hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Kevin. View Post
Anyways to my point what do you guys recommend me for this all.

1. Trade the car in with what I still owe stacking onto another vehicle I want.
I don't think this will be a great deal. The dealership is gonna need to make a decent profit reselling your now "used" Yaris. That will drop the price by a lot.

Quote:
2. Finish paying the vehicle off and trade it in, in the future and just save or atleast try to. (4 years seems like a long time though, so much can change and I've payed a year off already maybe abit more.)
If you're anything like me, once you start thinking of it, and picturing yourself in the new car, it's so hard to change your mind and stay in the old car for too long.

Quote:
3. Sell it off to someone for 1,000$ or so and let them take over payments and the car itself.
If you can do this, it would be my choice. How likely is it that they will actually pay you that extra thousand dollars though?
Old 05-22-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
I have heard this before, how many threads now?
Old 05-22-2011, 06:21 PM   #7
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Everyones heard this from me multiple times, because I believe it is a sign I just can't be with this vehicle.

The car itself is no problem, I have tons of extra money after my monthly bills with it.

in my 3rd option -

Does the car have to be paid off to do this? Or can I tell the person for 1000$ I will transfer the financing to them. Or is it more complicated than I believe?

Or will this affect my credit.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #8
carnageehw

Drives: 2010 Fusion Hybrid
Quote:
E
Does the car have to be paid off to do this? Or can I tell the person for 1000$ I will transfer the financing to them. Or is it more complicated than I believe?
I know there are websites that will do this with a lease, but for payments I'm not totally positive. All I know is that in Canada, you can't legally sell him the car while payments are still being made by you.

In other words, you can't give him the title and have him pay you 200 bucks a month and you make the payments.

My question is why do you think someone will pay you $1,000? I'm guessing it's because you've put some additional things into the car but still, I don't think that's going to work. They are essentially getting a used car, but paying new cars payments. If you really want to give up the car, I'd just cut your losses and move on.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:48 PM   #9
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
Everyones heard this from me multiple times, because I believe it is a sign I just can't be with this vehicle.

The car itself is no problem, I have tons of extra money after my monthly bills with it.

in my 3rd option -

Or will this affect my credit.
Usually the buyers bank takes care of the details. They want to get the title and hold it for a secured loan. I doubt that you could transfer the financing to them yourself.

Buying and selling cars gets expensive. Taxes and fees are never recouped. Get what you want while you are still young. Houses and families and other expenses will prohibit some purchases in the future.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:00 PM   #10
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Are you sure you can afford the new Subaru? Was the Camaro and Tacoma out of your price range? Don't know what your "monthly bills" are now, but those are subject to change, along with the "tons" of extra money that's left over each month. If you can afford it, go for it...the scent of new cars is a nice addiction for those that can handle it.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 05-22-2011, 09:17 PM   #11
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
I don't know how, a minor with credit can't afford that unless ur making bank
Old 05-22-2011, 11:43 PM   #12
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmanYaris View Post
I'm curious as to how you can even consider affording a new car while you've already committed to financing one.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:02 AM   #13
shinlee

Drives: 07 liftback
He's not really financing one if it's 0% intrest rate... that's basically about as good as it can get.

Don't trade the car in, cuz then w/e else you owe, you WILL pay intrest on, that's tacked onto that car payment (unless again, you get 0% intrest). Hell, if you can find someone to take over the payments of a 0% car, I honestly don't think I'd really try to ask for too much money from a buyer, so $1000 seems perfect. I know back home in Texas, you can transfer loans to another person very easily, with usually no fee's if done through a large enough financer, so I would do this option.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:32 AM   #14
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
anything with a turbo takes super at the pump...feel like spending 2$/L soon?
I put premium in my Yaris already. Also I won't get the WRX STI, I want the 170 hp 4 cylinder sport model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemelek View Post
Usually the buyers bank takes care of the details. They want to get the title and hold it for a secured loan. I doubt that you could transfer the financing to them yourself.

Buying and selling cars gets expensive. Taxes and fees are never recouped. Get what you want while you are still young. Houses and families and other expenses will prohibit some purchases in the future.
This is why I want to get the subaru, I am suggested by my Dad to pay off the Yaris then just buy the Subaru, but like I said in 4 years so much can change so how do I know I can get the car later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
Are you sure you can afford the new Subaru? Was the Camaro and Tacoma out of your price range? Don't know what your "monthly bills" are now, but those are subject to change, along with the "tons" of extra money that's left over each month. If you can afford it, go for it...the scent of new cars is a nice addiction for those that can handle it.
Camaro was a bail due to what it is and snow being here 8 months of the year, Tacoma I was convinced to stay with the Yaris so I didn't go for it and bit my tongue I was going to get a package from the dealer for having the first 2011 tacoma in town aswell though! But now I can't deny my want of something I truly want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmanYaris View Post
If you mean me, I make about 2400$ every two weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinlee View Post
He's not really financing one if it's 0% intrest rate... that's basically about as good as it can get.

Don't trade the car in, cuz then w/e else you owe, you WILL pay intrest on, that's tacked onto that car payment (unless again, you get 0% intrest). Hell, if you can find someone to take over the payments of a 0% car, I honestly don't think I'd really try to ask for too much money from a buyer, so $1000 seems perfect. I know back home in Texas, you can transfer loans to another person very easily, with usually no fee's if done through a large enough financer, so I would do this option.
What do you mean, please PM me if you know anything about these things and guide me I would appreciate it. All I'd want is 1000$ and then transfer the loan to someone else to complete the vehicle or someone to pay it off and receive it.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:59 AM   #15
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Man just keep the damn car as long as you don't NEED something bigger. Why the hell would you wanna make things harder for yourself by ditching it for something better? Just so you know "status" doesn't mean a damn thing in this day and age. Just my thoughts...

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
Old 05-23-2011, 01:06 AM   #16
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBack View Post
Man just keep the damn car as long as you don't NEED something bigger. Why the hell would you wanna make things harder for yourself by ditching it for something better? Just so you know "status" doesn't mean a damn thing in this day and age. Just my thoughts...
If you like the Yaris it is different, vehicles are something to me I'd want forever.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:15 AM   #17
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
I agree, I love cars myself and hate the thought of giving one up. But as a another fan of Subies (I do follow Rally, as time allows) I'm just saying as someone who lives on bare necessity, in my experience survival is way more important than having what people think is "way cooler". If something does exactly what you need it to do, then why mess with a good thing?

(Unless you're having a kid or need to haul stuff, I'd totally understand the change)

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
Old 05-23-2011, 02:17 AM   #18
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

I know there is no gain, I stopped putting premium in last pay cheque.