Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 11:40 PM   #127
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
damn kaotic, look what you done started?? its right up there with the synth vs. dino debate. makes for fun reading though...

--B
Old 04-10-2007, 11:44 PM   #128
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by static808 View Post
damn kaotic, look what you done started?? its right up there with the synth vs. dino debate. makes for fun reading though...

--B
lol...would have never thought i could start all this.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:47 PM   #129
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
lol...would have never thought i could start all this.
we need to keep you out of the UN. you mean well, but you'll be starting wars by accident!!

--B
Old 04-10-2007, 11:52 PM   #130
Kaotic Lazagna

hahaha, the United Nations...hmmm, perhaps, i might start WWIII if i join the UN. lol...
Old 04-11-2007, 10:46 AM   #131
Adriaan
In between cities

Drives: 2006 yaris ce
my experince with premium

personally i like the premium gas, i've has lots of problems with the regular gas here in ontario. The gas here is mixed with ethanol some times up to 15% except shell premium and i believe pioneer. i was having problems with the gas sensor. Took it to the dealer to find out that the since i was mixing fuel with and without ethanol the fuel turned a white color and had damaged the sensor. i work between montreal and toronto. In Montreal there is no ethanol in the fuel as of yet. Since i had it changed i stop buying regular here in ontario and haven't had the problem since. Also I work for esso and i found out that when you mix ethanol fuel like sunoco with regular fuel with out ethanol turns a white color, and as of yet there no technology to separate the two. But this is my experience and what i found out. Not sure if it is true with what i found, or my car was and isolated incident. Also i did a test with sunoco ultra 94 and shell premium on my last trip to montreal. Between my monteal house and toronto house is 686km with ultra 94 i got 536km and with shell i got 636km same driving style going and return about 120km to 140 km on the 401.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:00 AM   #132
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
well u see...

as per (Adriaan's) quote.
"he personally i like the premium gas, i've has lots of problems with the regular gas here in ontario. The gas here is mixed with ethanol some times up to 15% except shell premium and i believe pioneer. i was having problems with the gas sensor. Took it to the dealer to find out that the since i was mixing fuel with and without ethanol the fuel turned a white color and had damaged the sensor. i work between montreal and toronto. In Montreal there is no ethanol in the fuel as of yet. Since i had it changed i stop buying regular here in ontario and haven't had the problem since. Also I work for esso and i found out that when you mix ethanol fuel like sunoco with regular fuel with out ethanol turns a white color, and as of yet there no technology to separate the two. But this is my experience and what i found out. Not sure if it is true with what i found, or my car was and isolated incident. Also i did a test with sunoco ultra 94 and shell premium on my last trip to montreal. Between my monteal house and toronto house is 686km with ultra 94 i got 536km and with shell i got 636km same driving style going and return about 120km to 140 km on the 401."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Olavich View Post
So less efficient combustion means "cleaner"....Nope!
Old 06-22-2007, 02:45 AM   #133
dallas

Drives: Yaris Hatch /Landrover D2
Let's stop the b.s and start posting our mileage figures on the two grades of gas. Enough people checking it should make the results more believable
Old 06-22-2007, 10:46 AM   #134
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
well i have been switching from prem to reg... so far i got more mileage with the prem then again that could also be driving habit as well..but its about 10-30 km difference for about 38 liters of gas..

here:

1st tank 540km with 39.8l fill up = 38.34mi/gal with regular 87 octane
2nd tank ran 535km fill up 38.4l = 39.37mi/gal with premium 89 octane
3rd tank 540km 37.5l fill up=40.69mi/gal with premium 89 octane
4th tank 570km premium fill up @38.00 liters =42.40 m/gal -15km/liter 89 octane
5th tank went to regular gas..48.2 liters ran 711 km 40% hwy (had to add 10 liters in between), calculated about 6.7l /100km,,41.68m/gal ... i was expecting about 6.0 l/100,,,atleast...
Old 06-22-2007, 04:44 PM   #135
jdium
Mr Attitude

Drives: Blazing Blue 5 Spd
[QUOTE=Kaotic Lazagna;69781]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fu_im_from_texas View Post

not sure why either. my factors remaind the same, for the most part. the only difference is that i was driving faster and the gas itself. but i'm not willing to get another tank of premium to find out. lol...
I'm doing some math...the Yaris has an 11 gallon tank..."premium" 93 octane gas is usually .20 cents more per gallon than "regular" 87 octane gas...that's $2.20 a tank...

If you get 10% better gas mileage with premium, as some have stated (36mpg with regular, 40mpg with premium, etc), then you will be driving as far on 10 gallons or premium as you would be on 11 gallons of regular...

Stop me if I'm losing anyone...

Gas is now above $3 a gallon around my area. You are saving .80 cents if you see 10% better mileage with premium...

I'm thinking this is along the lines of the placebo effect, you believe your more expensive purchase is going to help you, so it does...

Also, how much do you all drive if an extra $2.20 a tank for premium is breaking your wallet? If you drive 10,000 miles a year at 40 mpg, that is about 23 fillups. That is $50 a YEAR...

Sorry for the ramble...but if you believe that premium is helping you, buy it. Scientifically, there is no benefit to running premium in these cars...
Old 06-22-2007, 06:37 PM   #136
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
[QUOTE=jdium;101220]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post

Sorry for the ramble...but if you believe that premium is helping you, buy it. Scientifically, there is no benefit to running premium in these cars...
Don't understand how you can say that! Scientifically, under load the higher octane allows more timing advance before knock (in a 10.5:1 compression ratio car) which is more efficient, using less fuel for the power needed....not under load I agree with you.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:03 AM   #137
Kaotic Lazagna

hey, i never said that. hahaha...why is my name highlighted and not jdium?

but yeah, this thread was brought back from the dead. well, i used premium again and got less mpg. but i know that's because i've been using the a/c more. personally, i think i'm just going to stick regular.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:06 AM   #138
jdium
Mr Attitude

[QUOTE=churp;101248]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdium View Post

Don't understand how you can say that! Scientifically, under load the higher octane allows more timing advance before knock (in a 10.5:1 compression ratio car) which is more efficient, using less fuel for the power needed....not under load I agree with you.
It is a 105 hp engine, it is ALWAYS under load :D

If what you say is true, why don't the Toyota engineers tell us to use premium?
Old 06-23-2007, 08:21 AM   #139
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
maybe because it would turn potential buyers away from the car, you don't usually associate a modern economy car with premium gasoline... Just a guess anyway! I'm gonna try higher octane fuel just for the heck of it for my next tank...

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 06-23-2007, 09:01 AM   #140
njyaris
YARIS NEWBIE

Drives: YARIS 07 LIFTBACK
Send a message via AIM to njyaris Send a message via Yahoo to njyaris
just my two cents ... i just bought my YARIS a week ago and I LOVE IT .. therefore i use 93 octane .. now does this change anything .. ofcoarse it does .. even if it's only perception .. since my perception is in favor for better gas milage and higher performance i tend to drive a little harder and faster .. just my two cents
Old 06-23-2007, 04:16 PM   #141
jdium
Mr Attitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by njyaris View Post
just my two cents ... i just bought my YARIS a week ago and I LOVE IT .. therefore i use 93 octane .. now does this change anything .. ofcoarse it does .. even if it's only perception .. since my perception is in favor for better gas milage and higher performance i tend to drive a little harder and faster .. just my two cents
Your perception is for better gas mileage so you drive harder??? That's counter productive...

Like I stated above. The higher mileage being noted is IMO a placebo type effect. You think higher octane will help, thus it does.

If requiring higher octane would turn away potential buyers, why not atleast tell them what everyone in here is saying? Increased octane = increased mpg? Cuz it's not true...
Old 06-23-2007, 06:49 PM   #142
smokinyaris

Drives: bad boy
so do you guys feel up with premium or regular............
Old 06-23-2007, 07:36 PM   #143
jdium
Mr Attitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinyaris View Post
so do you guys feel up with premium or regular............
I feel up my girlfriend sometimes

I fill up with regular, the cheapest stuff I can find...
Old 06-23-2007, 07:54 PM   #144
forpinks

Drives: 03 Toyota Corolla S modded,
Go buy a "Maximum Boost" book and it will tell you that a higher octane gas will give you more power compared to lower octane gas.

there is a comparison on the N/A and Turbo there really is a big difference especially if your running RPMs higher than 4500 on N/A... The turbo with high octane gas is damn more powerful than low octane.

Also the 106HP (not high performance? I know.) is achieved using high grade high octane gasoline for testing (Since Japan don't have anything lower than 93 octane they even have 120-125 octane) the engine power will drop to 100flywheel HP when you use 87 gas and it will make more gunk to the engine because of the slight combustion difference even with the knock sensors, remember the 1NZ-FE is japan made and tested so It should run 90+octane and will get 51MPG elsewhere except US (may be possible with acetone) which don't have anything higher than 93 basic fuel 100 octane cost like 4.30 vs 3.30 91...

(It's new here in the USA and Toyota USA wouldn't put the 91 reccomended fuel since it will hurt sales...)

Hope this helps!!!

BUT YOU JUST GOTTA LOVE IT....
Closed Thread