Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-30-2008, 01:21 AM   #1
DefStarYaris

Drives: '08 Liftback and Mountain Bike
Send a message via AIM to DefStarYaris
Black strips on door edges

Yeah, I've had my yaris almost a year now and didn't pay much attention to them.

I've checked a lot of pictures of everyone elses cars here and they don't all have them, but on my Yaris there are these thin black strips of some hard rubbery stuff on the edges of my door and also around the wheels. They're attached to the paint but I'd like to remove them if possible to help my car look a little cleaner.

If anyone can give me any tips on this I'd really appreciate it. I don't have pictures of it as it is pretty dark out right now, but if that helps I'll post some later.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:45 AM   #2
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Yup, you need to post pics later for help on this one.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:47 AM   #3
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Sounds like you got the door edge guard and wheel well protector trim "package". Many dealers used to install that stuff for a cost of about $10-15 and then add $159 to the window sticker for dealer installed accessories.

Pull that stuff off with ease, remove any excess adhesive with goo-gone, then wax.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:04 AM   #4
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefStarYaris View Post
Yeah, I've had my yaris almost a year now and didn't pay much attention to them.

I've checked a lot of pictures of everyone elses cars here and they don't all have them, but on my Yaris there are these thin black strips of some hard rubbery stuff on the edges of my door and also around the wheels. They're attached to the paint but I'd like to remove them if possible to help my car look a little cleaner.

If anyone can give me any tips on this I'd really appreciate it. I don't have pictures of it as it is pretty dark out right now, but if that helps I'll post some later.
I bet they have saved your door edge from chips....... think about what you want to do versus the door edges...... they do chip very easy.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:41 AM   #5
Prohibit
Verbieten Sie

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Prohibit Send a message via MSN to Prohibit Send a message via Yahoo to Prohibit
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Sounds like you got the door edge guard and wheel well protector trim "package". Many dealers used to install that stuff for a cost of about $10-15 and then add $159 to the window sticker for dealer installed accessories.

Pull that stuff off with ease, remove any excess adhesive with goo-gone, then wax.
Couldn't have said it better myself, but yes he is correct. Protects you from those crazy people at Wal-Mart who like to sling their doors open and smash your car up.

Hatchback Purist? Be sure to drop in and register. New forum with a great clean design and potential.
Prohibit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:53 PM   #6
DefStarYaris

Yeah, I understood what it was there for, I just don't like the look of it.

I'll be removing it later, thanks guys.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:39 PM   #7
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
I like them. I have them on the doors on my yaris. Not only does it prevent chipping on my doors, but ti avoids some very bad situations where I've hit another person's car.. (damn you wide doors!) and they almost killed me, good job those rubber guards were on there! the marks merely smeared off with a quick rub.
yikes.
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:05 PM   #8
Stargate YARlantIS

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I took mine off after a year and a half, very easy to do. Goo gone, wax, don't worry about rippin' paint off...

Peace, Love and Good Smoke!
--Tommy Chong
Stargate YARlantIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:30 AM   #9
DefStarYaris

Removed them this morning. I don't know why but it just made the Yaris look like a bumper car to me. Much better now.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:26 PM   #10
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
I had clear / transparent door edge guards. I removed them though because after this past, rainy and muddy weekend you could clearly see crud and dirt getting beneath / in-between the edge guard and door surface. Looked like crap. Now I have this gunky adhesive stuff on the door edges though. Is it safe to use goo gone spray gel to remove that stuff?

Is goo gone spray gel safe to spray directly on the car's surface / paint?
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:59 PM   #11
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAD DOG* View Post
Yup, you need to post pics later for help on this one.
Quote:
Yeah, I understood what it was there for, I just don't like the look of it.

I'll be removing it later, thanks guys.
Quote:
Removed them this morning. I don't know why but it just made the Yaris look like a bumper car to me. Much better now.

Did i mention this thread needs pictures?

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:03 PM   #12
Yarisight

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB "S" Blazing Blue
Look at the thin lighter blue strips that run around the front and back wheel wells, and the *vertical* strip on the door edge. I've contemplated removing mine, but still have them on. They were on the car when I bought it, and I didn't pay extra for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (213.1 KB, 122 views)

Blazing Blue...Through and True...
Yarisight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:24 PM   #13
eii
Rides canyon walls

Drives: 1988 RX7 FC 10th AE
I really wished I had these on my car tbh. My family has banged my doors on the side of the house that the door edges are chipped and crushed. :'(

OEM Style Wing Spoiler | TRD Axle-Back Exhaust | Megan Lowering Springs (1.5 f/r) | Simota Carbon Charger Intake | Python 871XP Alarm System | Aluminum Sports Pedal | 17x7 +42mm Enkei J10 Black w/ Silver Lip | 205/40 Falken Ziex-912 | NST Lite Crank Pulley Red | 1ZZ-FE Throttle Body | AMK Racing Header
eii is offline   Reply With Quote