Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-23-2009, 05:19 PM   #55
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
FYI, I will be bringing my Yaris in for this on Monday, leaving it, and having the dealer look at it on Tuesday. Let's hope they can fix it, and don't just tell me its A) my fault or B) my mods.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:18 PM   #56
BuildCode

Drives: Black 5-Spd Sedan S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
FYI, I will be bringing my Yaris in for this on Monday, leaving it, and having the dealer look at it on Tuesday. Let's hope they can fix it, and don't just tell me its A) my fault or B) my mods.
Let us know what they say. As a follow up, I've gotten on my Yaris pretty good a few times (in addition to normal driving), the shudder is most certainly gone! I really think it had something to do with clutch break in, and now at 5,000 miles it's long broken in.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:30 PM   #57
woof

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatch/Black
The clutch chatter in my Yaris has gotten to be a real issue. So many of you have reported it that you should take a clue: defective design! My xB1 did not have this bad of a problem.

Here's what I think:

The Yaris is geared taller than my xB so it doesn't have the same mechanical advantage when pulling the car off the line.

The Yaris fly-by-wire ECU was designed to sip as little fuel as possible. Makes it easier to kill, especially with the dead feel of the clutch and throttle.

My clutch chatter just got worse over time and my dealer will not recognize it as a problem which tells me it's an "unknown" problem. (Nothing official.)
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:06 PM   #58
Thirty-Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
The clutch chatter in my Yaris has gotten to be a real issue. So many of you have reported it that you should take a clue: defective design! My xB1 did not have this bad of a problem.

Here's what I think:

The Yaris is geared taller than my xB so it doesn't have the same mechanical advantage when pulling the car off the line.

The Yaris fly-by-wire ECU was designed to sip as little fuel as possible. Makes it easier to kill, especially with the dead feel of the clutch and throttle.

My clutch chatter just got worse over time and my dealer will not recognize it as a problem which tells me it's an "unknown" problem. (Nothing official.)

FYI, I did have clutch issues in my xB1. They replaced the throw-out bearing twice. Clutch was slipping badly at 28,000 miles. (I'm currently at 23,000 on my Yaris)

I just hope it's an easy fix.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:25 AM   #59
Lucas13

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
Sometimes happens to me but only when it’s cold, and if I release the clutch too quick I get the shudder in reverse is even trickier, but when the engine is warm it doesn't happen to me, I try to drive it softly while it warms up and it happens much less

I’ve driven all my life stick, this where my cars in the past and I experienced it in all of them

2007 Yaris LB (current)

2003 Nissan 350Z

2005 Scion TC

2001 Daewoo Lanos Sport

1989 Honda Accord 2 DR

1996 Renault Twingo

For the Yaris and The Scion TC I had to re adjust to the clutch. It took me like a month to feel comfortable with the clutch.

Is also good to mention that this feeling sometimes can be confused with a flywheel that needs must be resurfaced or replaced, this can happen due to exesive heat when clutch is not used properly or abused.
Lucas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:04 PM   #60
Thirty-Nine

I just got a call from Toyota. Looks like they're redoing the entire clutch.

- Clutch disc
- Flywheel
- Throwout bearing
- Clutch cover

Wow ... more updates later.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:16 PM   #61
Thirty-Nine

Just an update: I was reading through the dealer's paperwork they gave me, and it did say "warped pressure plate."
Old 01-11-2010, 04:36 PM   #62
fastscutr

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch, Manual
clutch is now starting to slip for me again after about 3k miles since last replaced under warrantee. Occasionally getting locked out of 5th (don't even feel the shift gate when that happens). Like the other time, dealer won't do anything till it gets real bad and destroys the flywheel... It is still under warranty, but no longer fits my needs as reliable transportation - think its time for a new car... (2010 Subaru WRX :D )
Can't believe I have a British car that has proven to be more reliable (powered by Toyota engine/tranny though) ;P
I wish you all the best of luck in getting a final long term solution to this problem
fastscutr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:05 PM   #63
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
So I installed the TRD roll stopper mount. Shudder went away.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:05 PM   #64
mick.wheelz

Drives: 2006 NCP91R, 1991 ST184R
Send a message via MSN to mick.wheelz
My yaris has over 100,000km (~60,000mi) on it now, and does this in 1st when it is cold... only if you let it out either too fast, or dont give it enough gas.

The car is on its orig. clutch, so i doubt it causes any long term reliability issues.
mick.wheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:42 AM   #65
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
i find the same problem. i have learned to master 1st but revers....fml man, i back up on my drive way (up hill) and unless i'm riding clutch hard and RPMs atleast 1500 or doing 40km in reverse it looks, feels and sounds very bad.

also with the gearing ratio i find its awkward to slow down and take off again but not stop. too fast for 1st, too slow for second...... any advice? (other then learn how to drive, lol)
Old 01-21-2010, 02:01 PM   #66
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
..also with the gearing ratio i find its awkward to slow down and take off again but not stop. too fast for 1st, too slow for second...... any advice? (other then learn how to drive, lol)...
I definitely find this to be evident! I usually just shift into second and give gas but the car really doesn't want to go into 1st gear unless stopped.
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:14 PM   #67
yaris2010RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerFlosser View Post
I definitely find this to be evident! I usually just shift into second and give gas but the car really doesn't want to go into 1st gear unless stopped.
i find it makes right turns very awkward and red lights that magically turn green a nightmare.... almost feels like its gonna stall. and today i decided to try and ride the clutch a bit.....this will not fix anything, make alot of noise then bounce. lol. guess we gonna have to live with it or change the gears.....
Old 01-26-2010, 07:02 PM   #68
dennischan0919

Drives: 2009 5 doors hatchback S
TSB 0068-09 Transverse Engine Mount-Abnormal noise and Vibration on Acceleration
dennischan0919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:23 PM   #69
BuildCode

Quote:
i find it makes right turns very awkward and red lights that magically turn green a nightmare.... almost feels like its gonna stall. and today i decided to try and ride the clutch a bit.....this will not fix anything, make alot of noise then bounce. lol. guess we gonna have to live with it or change the gears.....
I sometimes double clutch to get into 1st gear easier... i.e. clutch out, raise RPMs 500-1000 higher than idle, clutch in and shift into 1st gear at a slow rolling speed. This is all at below 5mph speeds of course.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:58 PM   #70
yaris2010RS

so u release clutch then rev a bit to get it aprox 2000RPM and then depress clutch and 1st? tomorrow on my way to school will definatly give it a shot.... lol
Old 01-26-2010, 11:15 PM   #71
yaris2010RS

something i noticed on my way home today tring to glide down a hill, possibally completly off topic but still has to do with clutch. i was driving down the road at crusing speed 100 KM/H and around 2,500RPM, so i depressed the clutch shifted to neutrel (no gear) and let go of clutch. i watched my RPMs drop to 1,000 then 500(my normal idle) then jump up to 1,500 and kept bouncing from 500 - 1,500. this only happens if i'm off the clutch and in no gear, if i'm holding clutch it wont bounce around. i took a video so if u dont exactly follow what i'm saying follow link

i'm sorry, its very bad quality and uber long, lol, i started messing around after a while, lol. and since my right hand (shifter hand) was holding phone made for a very bad experience. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEb1NY1xSXU
Old 01-27-2010, 08:02 PM   #72
BuildCode

Quote:
so u release clutch then rev a bit to get it aprox 2000RPM and then depress clutch and 1st? tomorrow on my way to school will definatly give it a shot.... lol
Less than that: 1,000 or 1,500 rpm. You'll know it's right when you can shift into first with zero resistance :)

Quote:
something i noticed on my way home today tring to glide down a hill, possibally completly off topic but still has to do with clutch. i was driving down the road at crusing speed 100 KM/H and around 2,500RPM, so i depressed the clutch shifted to neutrel (no gear) and let go of clutch. i watched my RPMs drop to 1,000 then 500(my normal idle) then jump up to 1,500 and kept bouncing from 500 - 1,500.
I don't put mine in neutral at that high of a speed, but from 40mph (60kmh) my revs will bob once or twice, but not as many times as yours did in the video. I don't worry about it, at all.