Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-09-2009, 07:26 AM   #1
nick.dollimount
Yaris = <3

Drives: '08 Sedan - Flint Mica
More Foglight Help

Hey all,

I finally got my fog lights installed thanks Ray and Garm! But I have a little issue and need some more assistance.

Following the guide, my red wire from my on/off switch goes to PIN3 (Fogs) of the plug under the steering column (headlights switch) and my black wire is grounded to the body. The lights work... all the time. The PIN3 wire provides constant power so I can turn the lights on even when the car is off with my head lights off as well.

So here is where I need help. I need to know which wire on the plug can be used as a ground that will only be active when my head lights are switched on so my fog lights will turn off with my headlights. Allowing me the option to leave the fog switch on all the time.

If anyone can help out, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
nick.dollimount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:02 AM   #2
nick.dollimount
Yaris = <3

Drives: '08 Sedan - Flint Mica
So I finally got my fog lights set up and working EXACTLY how I want them to, with the help of CTScott of course..

They will only work if the ignition is on and will shut off when then car shuts off. So no more accidentally leaving them on They are also usable at any time (while ignition is on) regardless if my headlights or high beams are on/off.

I stuck a relay between the switch and the fog PIN3 on the connector under the steering wheel. The remote on wire from the relay is stuck in the green wire on the ignition connector. Pretty simple set up that only allows the fog switch to work if the ignition is on.

Now the problem I had for a while was that the fogs would not come back on if they were turned on, turned off then turned on again quickly. Also, if I had the button on when I turned the car on, they would turn on with the ignition, off with the cranking of the car and then try to turn on again but fail for the same reason of the quickly on/off/on issue. CTScott suggested bypassing the fog switch and just bridge it to test if it was the switch. Tried and low and behold, it was working. So I picked up a little rocker switch, modified the plastic place-holder to fit the switch in and hooked that up. It works beautifully. I can flick them on and off repeatedly and fast and they turn on and off every time.

I've attached a diagram of the setup. It's not the best but it gives a good idea.
Attached Images
File Type: png FogRelaySetup.PNG (9.7 KB, 61 views)
==============================
Debadged Rear; Blue Interior Styling; Toyota Sports Pedals; AM Exhaust Tip; OEM Spoiler; Upgraded Speakers; Sony Xplod BT 2600 Deck; Infinity Basslink SUB/AMP in Trunk; 16" Konig Rims; 6000k HID Bi-Xenons; 6000k HID Fogs; NST Short Shifter
==============================
nick.dollimount is offline   Reply With Quote