Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-18-2010, 01:20 PM   #55
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
These crossover points will, of course, be dependant on what we hear. The record for this L4 is spectacular. You see the response curves on these speakers...they're not weak speakers. This is why most of my install costs will be in tuning...I can make whatever I need. We're trying to source an RTA to do EQing duties. We know of one person, but we don't want to use him...He's over priced for the service delivered. Jim and I used to work for him...It would be sort of awkward.

That L8 seems to work well around the 75Hz range all the way up to about 300Hz. I may cross it aorund the 250Hz range...again, it just depends on what my ears (and all the other shop ears) tell me. The other owner of the shop (Justin) has an IASCA claim to fame for tuning. He's one of the only people I have ever heard that has tuned a vehicle to a perfect RTA score ALL BY EAR (no RTA was used). With that said, the placement and aiming of the speakers is going to be a major factor. I've got steep enough crossover capacility (easily) through the source. Scott asks for 24dB and I've got 36dB ability just through the deck on all four outs.

If my understanding of acoustics is correct, the differences in speaker axis positioning relative to my ears is going make a big difference the higher I go in frequency. Giving away a bit of amplitude because of off axis positioning should gain a bit of staging accuracy for gained "depth". On the other hand, I may be totally off kilter and loopy. This is why I'm going to be trying MANY different positions until I get the staging and height of said stage correct. The tweaking will get more precise as I dial it in over several days on some test tones and musical tracks. Yes, I'll have placement enclosures before the final staging.

We'll be playing with the points and slopes from 24dB to 30dB to 36dB as well as ranges for days and weeks i'm sure. I've got seven octaves to play with on those L4s...I'll see what happens.

Goku - I've got a minor clue. :) We'll see how this works There's enough flexibility with the equipment choices I've made that I have NO doubt I'll find the winning combination with some tuning time.

Last edited by sqcomp; 01-18-2010 at 01:40 PM.
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:00 PM   #56
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post

If my understanding of acoustics is correct, the differences in speaker axis positioning relative to my ears is going make a big difference the higher I go in frequency. Giving away a bit of amplitude because of off axis positioning should gain a bit of staging accuracy for gained "depth". On the other hand, I may be totally off kilter and loopy. This is why I'm going to be trying MANY different positions until I get the staging and height of said stage correct. The tweaking will get more precise as I dial it in over several days on some test tones and musical tracks. Yes, I'll have placement enclosures before the final staging.
yeah dude.... I believe the way it works is...

1) the higher the frequency the more directional it becomes (especially when off-axis listening)

2)the smaller the speaker the less problems it has playing off-axis.

weird how it works... but kinda cool, because it really makes it easy to justify using smaller size mids if playing off axis, or if trying to reduce crossover points. I had a pair of 6.5 comps about 6 years ago that were actually designed for 45degree off axis listening. They had awesome midbass too... I remember when I first installed them thinking that I no longer needed a sub... was way cool. Wish I still had them, sold them and bought my 8's.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:57 PM   #57
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

The off axis play is what Scott has been saying his L1 se and the L4 can do with some authority. I've already got a good idea of placement for those...It'll be an excersise of making the test enclosures more than anything. I have a good plan for that though. I have pleny of power and headroom for great signal; enough to overcome the off-axis "issues" at least.

Oh man this is going to be fun!
Old 01-20-2010, 05:17 PM   #58
waitntodwnsize
cruisin in the land yacht

Drives: 2001 Buick Park Avenue Ultra;)
i have powerbass speakers in my car from sonicelectronix.com that arae very nice and sound great. plus the pair of 6x9 3 way subs i put on my rear deck a few hrs ago were only $45 a pair!
Old 01-20-2010, 10:46 PM   #59
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Powerbass is a pretty darned good value. I've got an ASA 700.5 pushing my wife's system in her Tacoma. It sounds just fine.