Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #19
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Please define a "SPL rig"
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:27 PM   #20
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
I'm going to be 41 in June, I used to be one of those that you could hear/feel blocks away! I just never knew about sound quality and what was all about! I started playing with a comodore 64, Atari, Pac Man, Space Invaders etc, now I enjoy playing Wii with my family. Still love the out doors and good music!

D.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:54 AM   #21
RedRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
I'm going to be 41 in June, I used to be one of those that you could hear/feel blocks away! I just never knew about sound quality and what was all about! I started playing with a comodore 64, Atari, Pac Man, Space Invaders etc, now I enjoy playing Wii with my family. Still love the out doors and good music!

D.
I let you in a secret that many are in denial over.
Sound quality was no different back then and in some ways, even better.
Fact is, high qualty, high dynamic range anilog is better than compressed digital any day.

Also, about the only advantage of modern amplifiers is that they are much more efficient, not that they sound better than amps of the C-64 era.

Last edited by RedRide; 05-08-2012 at 02:09 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:14 AM   #22
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
I don't have to define SPL rig. You know it means.

Keep on the roll about analog formats. I'm sure your insistence of analog format supreme excellence will change the industry.

This isn't the thread to re-start your analog vs digital argument.

...and yes, you're right. high dynamic range analog is better than compressed crap. I also generally agree about the modern vs "classic" amplifiers. Still, this also shows that you haven't listened to a properly setup full range D class amplifier setup. I can't tell an appreciable difference in sound quality between (for instance) the 2011 IASCA Expert Solo 1 seat world championship vehicle using JL HD/750 class D amplifiers on each speaker versus my "classic" A/B surfboards and the "smaller" A/B 4 channel. We're using the same format of source and the same line of speakers. The only difference is in amplifier power and slight differences in processing.

Last edited by sqcomp; 05-08-2012 at 02:41 AM.
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:34 AM   #23
spocksleftball

Drives: 2011 yaris
Well I am 50, I play halo weekly, and as a former punk rocker I love music loud. But thumping along with the accoustic signature of rythmicly falling bull carcasses is just a lame way to beg for attention. I prefer to upgrade my cars performance, not annoy my fellow drivers.
spocksleftball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:47 PM   #24
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

^ I like that one! "thumping along with the accoustic signature of rythmicly falling bull carcasses is just a lame way to beg for attention"
Old 05-08-2012, 06:39 PM   #25
skootdog

Drives: 2011 White A/T
40 in june and I grew up a basshead. I have grown toward quality instead of quantity as I've gotten older. It just doesn't sound right if it don't bump when its supposed to!

"Because it's Racecar"
skootdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #26
Strider199

Drives: Black 2012 Yaris 3door 5speed
Turned 50 early this year and I still play Halo and Call of Duty with my 18 year old son.
I remember having an $800.00 car and a $5000.00 sound system in it back when 8-tracks were the craze. I still have my amps, and speakers from way back but I haven't put them in my 2012 Yaris yet.
I love to Rock it as long as the quality of the sound is there.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #27
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider199 View Post
Turned 50 early this year and I still play Halo and Call of Duty with my 18 year old son.
I remember having an $800.00 car and a $5000.00 sound system in it back when 8-tracks were the craze. I still have my amps, and speakers from way back but I haven't put them in my 2012 Yaris yet.
I love to Rock it as long as the quality of the sound is there.
Awesome, man!

Just trying to figure out what would be the present day equivalent of $5000 from the days when 8-tracks were the craze?
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #28
RedRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
I don't have to define SPL rig. You know it means.

Keep on the roll about analog formats. I'm sure your insistence of analog format supreme excellence will change the industry.

This isn't the thread to re-start your analog vs digital argument.

...and yes, you're right. high dynamic range analog is better than compressed crap. I also generally agree about the modern vs "classic" amplifiers. Still, this also shows that you haven't listened to a properly setup full range D class amplifier setup. I can't tell an appreciable difference in sound quality between (for instance) the 2011 IASCA Expert Solo 1 seat world championship vehicle using JL HD/750 class D amplifiers on each speaker versus my "classic" A/B surfboards and the "smaller" A/B 4 channel. We're using the same format of source and the same line of speakers. The only difference is in amplifier power and slight differences in processing.
Are you arguing that a modern class D amps sounds great?
I never said that they did not and...... I've heard plenty.
I just said that a quality vintage amp sounds just as good while being less efficient.

As far as anilog vs digital, if ones knows anothing about digital sound they would be aware that digital can not reproduce every nuance of sound as anilog can. This is one of the reasons that anilog can often sound better.
Yes, high bitrate digital can often sound great but there is a difference in a Blind A/B test with high qualty aniolog.

Yeah, I know what "SPL" means but why call something a "SPL rig" ..... a "high SPL rig" yes , but both are just another name for high volume and neither one has anything to do with sound quality. It's all just pretentious BS IMO.

Last edited by RedRide; 05-08-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #29
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
Are you arguing that a modern class D amps sounds great?
I never said that they did not and...... I've heard plenty.
I just said that a quality vintage amp sounds just as good while being less efficient.

As far as anilog vs digital, if ones knows anothing about digital sound they would be aware that digital can not reproduce every nuance of sound as anilog can. This is one of the reasons that anilog can often sounds better.
Yes, high bitrate digital can often sound great but there is a difference in a Blind A/B test with high qualty aniolog.

Yeah, I know what "SPL" means but why call something a "SPL rig" ..... a "high SPL rig" yes , but both are just another name for high volume and neither one has anything to do with sound quality. It's all just pretentious BS IMO.
so you are basically claiming that todays multimillion dollar recording studios that record everything right on to a hard drive are crap. Sure, and if you buy that I have a bridge to sell you.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #30
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
Come on let's keep this thread fun. I'll be more than Happy to start an Analog vs Digital audio format thread or Class D vs old school amps thread but this is definately off Topic for this thread.

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #31
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Our illustrious RR forgets the basis for this thread. He's trying to drag anyone he can into a fight...on the internet...again...as usual.

See my signature quote.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #32
LEXX
0-60 IN UNDER FIVE

Drives: 2008 Blk on Blk Yaris Sedan
DEF not 30's. 30's are still young. Doesn't get weird till 50's +. But more about the person than the number they carry.

I'm pretty sure all the bass heads and rappers who are in their 40's and 50's now like tommy lee... kid rock... jay z... wu tang clan and a crapload of other rockers and rappers are still banging their systems loud in their rides. That era made the best music. No way they're not still blasting it out their rides.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #33
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
28 and still pushing 140db ;)
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #34
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Our illustrious RR forgets the basis for this thread. He's trying to drag anyone he can into a fight...on the internet...again...as usual.

See my signature quote.
Lolll I'm all for a debate just not in this thread.

2 things though

1). Use spellcheck

2). And keep your comments on the topic inside that thread. No need to drag it out over diff posts.

New debate thread being posted now.

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #35
Killchain

Drives: '10 Yaris LB Polar White
Ok,ok you got me. I'm 49 yoa. Yet I don't have a bad sound system. Only stock.
Yet I will blast some Kaskade or DEV.
Killchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #36
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _S7V7N_ View Post
Lolll I'm all for a debate just not in this thread.

2 things though

1). Use spellcheck

2). And keep your comments on the topic inside that thread. No need to drag it out over diff posts.

New debate thread being posted now.
Did I misspell something?