Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-19-2007, 11:25 AM   #1
death is my gift
wacky broadway nightmare

Drives: Willow is a '07 Red Yaris LB
Send a message via AIM to death is my gift Send a message via MSN to death is my gift Send a message via Yahoo to death is my gift
What's the deal with electronics from China??

http://www.chinavasion.com/

http://www.dhgate.com

What's the story on this? Is it crap that will not be worth it? Will it suffice for a cheap ass like me? Will it even work? Has anyone ordered or installed anything from either site? Or from any China based electronic store for that matter?

I need pretty in my car! I mean, other than me.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:02 PM   #2
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
I would expect them to be no less "cheap" than any other brand, considering China makes them all anyway. However, quality control could be sloppier if it's a China-based company without foreign management to answer to. They're all knock-offs of other products, so they don't have any investment money tied up in research.

~YR
Old 09-19-2007, 12:56 PM   #3
death is my gift
wacky broadway nightmare

Send a message via AIM to death is my gift Send a message via MSN to death is my gift Send a message via Yahoo to death is my gift
Hey thanks man. Thought I was talking to myself for a while there. I'm seriously considering getting a double din dvd player from either one of those. Only thing, I can't find a dvd that has front aux input. I need my iPod without getting to complicated about it.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:57 PM   #4
redduck

Drives: Yaris
This is basic economics actually. Cheaper labor means cheaper products for you. the Chinese generally sell their product cheaper to the American market than they will their own. also cheaper than anyone can possibly compete with here. in the import export world this is called "Dumping." however I don't think that this counts.

I would go for it. most higher end products are just re-branded Chinese stuff.
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:06 PM   #5
death is my gift
wacky broadway nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
This is basic economics actually. Cheaper labor means cheaper products for you. the Chinese generally sell their product cheaper to the American market than they will their own. also cheaper than anyone can possibly compete with here. in the import export world this is called "Dumping." however I don't think that this counts.

I would go for it. most higher end products are just re-branded Chinese stuff.
Hey thanks man. I'm actually happy with the responses I've gotten so far. All two of them...hahaha. Even if it's a dud then at least I'll know and can just replace it with a 100 dollar cd deck.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:15 PM   #6
umm_bacon
Medium Pimpin

Drives: 07 Gerbil Powered Hatchback
You have seen how great of a job the Chinese market has done in exporting dog food, children's toys, tooth paste, etc...I see absolutely no reason why you shouldn't buy the cheapest products the Reds are willing to ship over...
Old 09-19-2007, 01:18 PM   #7
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by umm_bacon View Post
You have seen how great of a job the Chinese market has done in exporting dog food, children's toys, tooth paste, etc...I see absolutely no reason why you shouldn't buy the cheapest products the Reds are willing to ship over...
In other words, don't eat, or eat off of your stereo.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:38 PM   #8
umm_bacon
Medium Pimpin

Drives: 07 Gerbil Powered Hatchback
All because of a cheap Chinese car stereo...
Old 09-19-2007, 02:55 PM   #9
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
I dunno Death...

What if you have to return it? They'll give a cheap rate to ship to you, but what about the cost of shipping back to China? Or calling them to straighten things out?

Also, since you are looking for pretty, think of the effect on your beauty! The severe frowny-face brought on by defective Chinese electronics is NOT gonna be attractive.
kurokoma-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:49 PM   #10
death is my gift
wacky broadway nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurokoma-kun View Post
I dunno Death...

What if you have to return it? They'll give a cheap rate to ship to you, but what about the cost of shipping back to China? Or calling them to straighten things out?

Also, since you are looking for pretty, think of the effect on your beauty! The severe frowny-face brought on by defective Chinese electronics is NOT gonna be attractive.
hahahahaha, you're cute.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:27 PM   #11
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
i just bought a dvd player from an ebay vendor .. the SA7020G i love the ease of use and the quick response pf the touch screen..but am unhappy with about everything else.

lack of audio controls, sub output options, cross over options, blue tooth option doesnt work, which is crappy cause i love the layout of the unit.

also it doesnt fit in the stock trim.. its a little big .. so i have to mount it sticking out rather than flush... i'm probably going to return it..