Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-12-2010, 10:22 AM   #1
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
What with CHEVY advertised lately?

Sorry if this is an old new, i haven't watch TV for a while, last night i saw a Commercial from CHEVY that stated all their cars got better gas than Toyotas and Hondas, i was shock when i see a MALIBU as 32mpg almost 1mpg less than my Yaris?
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
kac

Drives: 2009 Meteorite 3dr
Malibu rated at 32 mpg highway and Yaris at 36 mpg highway... isn't that more like 4mpg more?
kac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #3
Goose
Car Geek

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Although I view such mileage figures with skepticism, there are other qualitative factors involved. I'd pick an import every time over a GM for a wide variety of reasons.

'07 Blazing Blue 5-speed liftback (sold)
'08 Black auto liftback (sold)
'09 Carmine Red auto 4-door liftback (sold)
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:39 PM   #4
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by kac View Post
Malibu rated at 32 mpg highway and Yaris at 36 mpg highway... isn't that more like 4mpg more?
I don't mind go with the malibu and loose 4mpg compare with the yaris
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
kac

Drives: 2009 Meteorite 3dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal1984 View Post
I don't mind go with the malibu and loose 4mpg compare with the yaris
yeah... and pay twice as much for a car that lasts half as long... But everybody likes what they like.
kac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:05 PM   #6
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
gm is doing everything they can to try to convince people they are a legit company, even though they aren't.

it is too bad, they actually have some decent products. But no one should buy a car that is funded by American citizens. if we give you money, you give us each a car for free.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #7
coffiend

Drives: 08 Black LB
Well, to be fair, the yaris and Malibu are not comparable models.

Idk the numbers but the Camry is a more accurate comparison to the Malibu.

For the record, I would never buy a chevy, either.

The ads that really annoy me are the ford ones that switch Cars with "everyday citizens" then have them comment on how much better their fully loaded ford is than their base model Toyota.

"I dont have gps in my camry" lol.

Well.. You could have if you paid for it... Haha
Old 05-12-2010, 01:38 PM   #8
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
GM is doing anything they can to keep their rusted, leaky and adrift ship from sinking. They have lied, stolen and now borrowed on a massive scale, but the one thing they simply will not do, or perhaps cannot do, is produce reliable vehicles.

Even as the U.S. taxpayers bailed them out - for the 3rd time - GM executives (which never skipped their bonuses) stated that it might not be enough to save the company.

Even their bank (GMAC), which they spun off into its own company the 2nd time they were going bankrupt, has such a tarnished reputation due to their own large part of the economic crisis and bailout money siphoning that they renamed their commercial unit "Ally Bank" in order to superficially disassociate it from its parent.

I honestly don't think that GM/GMAC have made a single good decision in my lifetime thus far, so I don't expect them to now.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:02 PM   #9
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

letting gm die would change the face of this country so much. I just don't get why people think it is a bad idea?

the most important part of freedom is the freedom to fail.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:23 PM   #10
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
you cant get rid of a corvette...and you cant get rid of cadillac. you just cant. everything else is a crap shot...well, trucks are decent and decently priced if you have the patience to make a deal happen.

and i do have one thing to say about all you haters out there...the pontiac vibe (which is exactly the same thing as a toyota matrix) was a piece of junk...built by toyota, made for GM...it was a waste of money and time. i hate the matrix too...that's toyota's downfall. another thing toyota did that was retarded...getting rid of the only sports car they ever had, the supra. what do they have now??? a gs470 from lexus...oooooh nice. ya right.

ok, enough bickering...any way. there is no way america will ever let the vette go down. it's been here for generations and people want it. old, young, male and female...everyone wants one. or wants to be seen in one. if you dont, you're lieing or physically can't be in a car that low to the ground, or a car that small.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:49 PM   #11
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post
...everyone wants one. or wants to be seen in one. if you dont, you're lieing or physically can't be in a car that low to the ground, or a car that small.
What a sweeping, wholly inaccurate generalization.

I've never wanted a Corvette and have thought they were silly since I was a child. If I ever want a "supercar" I'll be sure to get one that can handle more than just straight line runs without falling apart. Many folks I know feel the same way.

I have also been in one and found it to be the third most uncomfortable ride I've ever experienced (behind a military HMMWV and the jump seat of a Toyota Tacoma).

Even the hosts of Top Gear thoroughly trashed the Corvette. I remember Jeremy Clarkson saying that it was the scariest car he ever drove because the ass end was anywhere but where he expected it to be. He actually liked the ZR-1 but never fails to mention that after just 3 days various parts of the car began to disintegrate, which was accentuated by electrical failures. Not what you'd expect from a $100k+ vehicle.

I have also been in a few Cadillacs and the only phrase that comes to mind is "lipstick on a pig".

Share the Road

Old 05-14-2010, 12:04 PM   #12
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post

ok, enough bickering...any way. there is no way america will ever let the vette go down. it's been here for generations and people want it. old, young, male and female...everyone wants one. or wants to be seen in one. if you dont, you're lieing or physically can't be in a car that low to the ground, or a car that small.
Shortly after I bought my yaris I was crusing down I90 (@ 70mph) and passed a brand new vette.... about 30 seconds later I looked in my rear view, and the thing was pulling over, and there was something that looked like smoke going all over the place.

Not quality, not everybody wants one.
If I want a sports car, I'll hook it up with a 3rd gen RX7 and drop a 3rotor in it, that'd be just as fast as any oem vette, and it'd even be able to negotiate turns too. I'd also be happy just buying a new rx8 and putting a turbo on it.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:00 PM   #13
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
gm is doing everything they can to try to convince people they are a legit company, even though they aren't.

it is too bad, they actually have some decent products. But no one should buy a car that is funded by American citizens. if we give you money, you give us each a car for free.
GM is not funded by American citizens.
They got a loan to keep solvent, to save tens of thousand of jobs and it's my understanding that they have since paid it all back.

I assume that this is something the Glenn Becks of the world wont tell you.

Having said that, I still don't like GM products and never have.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:31 PM   #14
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
They got a loan to keep solvent, to save tens of thousand of jobs and it's my understanding that they have since paid it all back.

Speaking of not being told things, are you aware that GM repaid that TARP loan with other TARP money? That's right, it wasn't a real repayment but a transfer from one TARP account to another.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...payment-fraud/

Not funded by American citizens, indeed.

Share the Road

Old 05-14-2010, 05:43 PM   #15
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post

how many times does the government need to throw trillions of dollars at the american auto industry before it gets a clue? Letting these companies die would be a good thing, because out of the ashes would arise something that might actually be able to compete on a global level.

oh, and nice job proving your lack of knowledge.