Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > UK
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-22-2010, 09:51 AM   #1
hender19

Drives: Yaris SR (08 plate)
Yaris RS Front Discs

Just had our (08) Yaris SR in for its second annual service, was told Front discs were below recommended minimum thickness. Minimum thickness is 22mm ours were 21 mm. There is only 24000 on the clock and the front pads are the original ones with 80% wear. There is still life in the pads but the discs are worn!! How is this, has anyone else experienced this? It cost more than £200 to repair! I think there is a problem here that I would like to share with you and fore warn you.
hender19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:25 PM   #2
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
never heard of that

sounds like a load of crap

or get them warrantied....i know its a wear item, but 24k miles (im assuming miles) is still pretty insane for rotors
Old 11-23-2010, 12:55 AM   #3
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
heck i didn't even know rotors could wear. I agree you are being fed a line.

Either that or you love to slam on your brakes all the time. I did know someone that had to get her brakes done what seemed like every year or so because she basically slammed them on as hard as possible every single time she touched the brake pedal.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:01 AM   #4
thebarber
daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
heck i didn't even know rotors could wear. I agree you are being fed a line.

Either that or you love to slam on your brakes all the time. I did know someone that had to get her brakes done what seemed like every year or so because she basically slammed them on as hard as possible every single time she touched the brake pedal.
my mother has to get new rotors/pads in her 03 malibu about every 40000km because she drives like that....she's just brakes too late and therefore has to brake harder all the time
Old 11-23-2010, 09:37 AM   #5
hender19

Yaris Front discs

Thanks for your replies so far, can I just make the point that my missus does not stand on her brakes, she spends most of her time ferrying the grand kids around and is a careful driver. Her last car which she had for 9 years was a Corsa, when she got rid of it it had 90000 odd miles on the clock with the original front discs still intact.

The point I am trying to make is, how come there is still a couple of thousand miles left on the brake pads but the discs have worn down below their limits? If it was the pads that had caused the problem they would be down to the bare metal. I suspect that there is a problem with the discs themselves and I would warn anyone who has an 08 Yaris to prepare for the worse when they next get a service, keep a couple of hundred pound handy. After all no-one suspected Toyota would have problems with the accelerator but they did, why can't they have a problem with the discs?
Old 11-23-2010, 12:02 PM   #6
thebarber
daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by hender19 View Post
Thanks for your replies so far, can I just make the point that my missus does not stand on her brakes, she spends most of her time ferrying the grand kids around and is a careful driver. Her last car which she had for 9 years was a Corsa, when she got rid of it it had 90000 odd miles on the clock with the original front discs still intact.

The point I am trying to make is, how come there is still a couple of thousand miles left on the brake pads but the discs have worn down below their limits? If it was the pads that had caused the problem they would be down to the bare metal. I suspect that there is a problem with the discs themselves and I would warn anyone who has an 08 Yaris to prepare for the worse when they next get a service, keep a couple of hundred pound handy. After all no-one suspected Toyota would have problems with the accelerator but they did, why can't they have a problem with the discs?
well, i wouldnt jump to conclusions....i don't think its going to be an epidemic
Old 11-26-2010, 03:01 AM   #7
hender19

After a lot of digging I have found out that the minimum tollerance for a new shape Toyota Yaris front discs is 19mm. The garage has been naughty and, when challenged have admitted the discs did not need changing, I am expecting more dialogue today.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:18 PM   #8
thebarber
daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by hender19 View Post
After a lot of digging I have found out that the minimum tollerance for a new shape Toyota Yaris front discs is 19mm. The garage has been naughty and, when challenged have admitted the discs did not need changing, I am expecting more dialogue today.
Nice.

Put your foot up their collective asses.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:08 PM   #9
pault

Drives: 2008 yaris 1.3 vvi-tr
Hi mine is an 08 Yaris, and I have been getting that horrible sort of shushing but not quite grating noise that tends to mean that the pads at least have to be changed and my car has only done 20k, I actually took my car back to the garage X2 and they said that they have checked out the pads and they are OK, they also ground the edge of the disc,s, but its still the same, to be fair I have given up on the Toyota garage they are a shambles.

Anyone else got noisy pads, more noticeable at slow speed,s.
pault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:35 AM   #10
marco168
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris
i had my front disk changed at 22k, but then i do alot of heavy braking, pads i have been through 4 since. its normal i woulkd say....but i do recommend getting aftermarket brake disk and pads, works out roughly same price as Toyota's and 'can' last longer
marco168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:03 PM   #11
ItalianYaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris TS
Send a message via AIM to ItalianYaris Send a message via MSN to ItalianYaris
That is quite odd I must say. My TS/SR has over 30,000 miles and has had all services and they never changed the disks. I changes to new pads about 10,000 miles ago because i wanted better ones, but they were still in good shape. I would guess there might be a problem with alignment on the disks and pads maybe? I heard of that before, not on a toyota tho! Im not sure how reliable the Toyota garages are in the UK, since I have not used them. Mine gets the services done in Italy. But I would have the car checked by someone else just in case....
ItalianYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:17 PM   #12
flembo

Drives: yaris 1.3 sr mmt
yaris front discs

I actually logged in to ask how long discs should last. I have a 2007 yasris SR mmt with 18600 miles from new. Just had a service and was told pads have 80% wear and discs need changing. I already knew this as I saw them in December when I had new tyres fitted. There has to be something wrong with the disc metal IMO as my previous car was a SEAT Leon Cupra which I had for 3 years at 20000 miles per year. So 62000 miles total on the original SEAT discs with some VERY hard braking and only 18600 miles with Toyota and gentle,about-town braking. I intend to take this up with Toyota as its just ridiculous for them to wear quicker than the brake pads. I'm no engineer or metalurgist but either the brake pads are too hard/abrasive or the discs are too soft. They are the original pads.
flembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:28 AM   #13
flembo

Drives: yaris 1.3 sr mmt
Just had some correspondence with Toyota Customer Relations about the break discs. They have fobbed me off with a load of rubbish about how these brake discs have been improved over the previous models, and how, after speaking to my local Toyota service centre tell me that its just normal wear. They have refused to make any contribuution to the financial cost of replacement or to acknowledge that they have used inferior materials.Its just something thats going to bug me, and its very likely that my next car will NOT be a Toyota, even though I'm very fond of the Yaris.
flembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #14
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
mines going 80k km original pads and rotors.. may need to check them next month.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:50 AM   #15
siltec
wahiba

Drives: Yaris GS
We had new, for the first time, rotors at the last service 160 000 miles (256000 km)
siltec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:53 PM   #16
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
didnt have chance to check the rotor thickness but my pads still thick i think only less than 40% was used car has almost 80k kms on it im actually surprise..it is a manual though ...
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote