Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > UK
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-06-2014, 01:30 PM   #1
Gretch2689
I've made a post!

Drives: toyota yaris 2009 reg manual
Unhappy Gear fault on a 2009 manual toyota yaris please help!

Hi I have a 2009 reg manual toyota yaris 1.3 TVVi-TR (?) with around 40 000 in mileage. It was perfectly fine to drive for the last 3 years that I have owned it until 2 days ago when I was struggling to put it into gear. It only goes to 1st and 3rd gear (and only when I push it hard) but not on any other gears at all. I had it checked by two different garages, both have said that its the gearbox that is the problem but could not determine specific fault unless it is opened up to identify the actual fault. I have read some articles and forums online how some drivers has experienced simillar things to their yaris particularly on cold weather although this has never happened to mine before? I'm wondering if anyone have a bit of an advice as to what this could be as I dont want to pay £400-800 for labour cost if it is a completely different fault. Toyota dealerships werent too helpful either plus they would charge me £45 just for inspection when other garages does it for free??!!. please help!

Thanks in advance
Gretch2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:41 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
There are quite a few possible causes. Below is a list from the service manual. The only one than can be easily checked without tearing into the gearbox is the shifter cables. That is definitely where to start though.

1. Control cable (Faulty)
2. Shift fork (Worn)
3. Synchronizer ring ((Input shaft) Worn or damaged)
4. Synchronizer ring (Output shaft) (Worn or damaged)
5. Shift key spring (Input shaft) (damaged)
6. Shift key spring (Output shaft) (damaged)
7. Gear (Input shaft) (damaged)
8. Gear (Output shaft) (damaged)
9. Hub sleeve (Input shaft) (damaged)
10. Hub sleeve (Output shaft) (damaged)