Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-30-2015, 11:37 PM   #1
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Rebuilt Blitz Supercharger on Crashy

After rebuilding a Blitz supercharger, which I picked up due to it having a bad clutch bearing mount, I decided to test it on Crashy before running it on one of my street-able Yaris. The Yaris clutch has a large bearing which rides on the aluminum nose piece of the supercharger. Over tightening the belt eventually causes the bearing to wear and eventually damage that piece. Below is what the piece looks like. The inner race of the bearing slides over the chewed up center piece. The silver electromagnet that surrounds it pulls the outer clutch plate against the inner one. The outer plate is mounted to the end of the shaft and has a spring assembly to keep it away from the inner plate. The inner plate is part of the pulley assembly and spins freely on the bearing. Engaging the clutch pulls the outer one in to allow the belt to spin the supercharger.

It is getting to be very difficult to find parts for the Blitz, so I first looked at having the part custom machined and was looking at $1500. The machine shop thought they may be able to machine it down and sleeve it, but due to the grooves for the split rings, they could not. I decided to experiment with using an industrial metal adhesive to rebuilt the outer nose piece and when I applied the adhesive and slid the bearing on, I engaged the clutch with a bench top power supply to ensure that it was properly centered as the adhesive cured. I installed it on Crashy and will put a few hours of run time on it before I move it over to one of my other Yaris.

Here's a video of it in action:
https://youtu.be/S8DIkeR9Qg0
Old 03-31-2015, 06:37 AM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I was hoping the rebuild would have been a complete teardown, but this is still good info. My kit is showing its age and may need this in the near future.

I purchased a used kit for spares, but I don't know that very much of it is salvageable. I bought it about 95% disassembled, but there are some shims that were damaged in the teardown process. I don't know for sure where they were originally, or what dimension they were compensating for. At the very least, I have the snout and a replacement clutch, which makes the purchase worthwhile.

In addition, the
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:40 PM   #3
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
What does the original aluminum piece look like? (Not chewed up)
If you have original dimensions, etc. I think there are shops that could manufacturer it for much less.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:59 PM   #4
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
What does the original aluminum piece look like? (Not chewed up)
If you have original dimensions, etc. I think there are shops that could manufacturer it for much less.
I had this same thought today. There's a free CAD model of the base TX07 online, including the OEM portion of the snout. It would still be a few hundred dollars to have machined, but it's something you could do on your own if you have the tools.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:35 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

I forgot to snap a pic, but it is not a super complicated part, but I could definitely see why my metal fab guy would want that much for CNC'ing it. With a metal lathe alone you could actually fab the part.

Now that I look again, the standard TX07 snount looks pretty similar to the Blitz one.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:53 PM   #6
CrankyOldMan

Indeed it does...
Attached Images
File Type: png Ogura snout.png (100.7 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg Blitz snout.jpg (336.6 KB, 220 views)
Old 03-31-2015, 10:22 PM   #7
CrankyOldMan

The bearing itself is a very common and easily obtained compressor bearing. The one on mine is an NSK 35BD5020DUM1. The problem arises when you try to remove it. The damn thing is crimped in place:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clutch bearing.jpg (332.3 KB, 218 views)
Old 03-31-2015, 10:44 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Fortunately my bearing was good. Are you sure that is crimped and that that ring does not unscrew?
Old 03-31-2015, 10:51 PM   #9
CrankyOldMan

If it does unscrew, there's no sign of threads for it to back out on. The paint around each divot is chipped and the divots all protrude slightly over the outer race.

Last edited by CrankyOldMan; 04-01-2015 at 06:21 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:43 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Ah.

So, I spoke with Ogura (and they stink). They do not sell replacement parts, except to OEMs, so that's a dead end as well, other than looking for used TX07s.

On the positive side, I now have about an hour of run time on Crashy with the repaired one, as thus far it is perfect. So, within the next couple of weeks I will move it over to my 09.

By the way, for those interested, if you don't have A/C (or want to eliminate it with the Blitz) a 55" belt fits perfectly. Crashy doesn't have a compressor, so I bought a 4040550 from Autozone (which is a common stocked part, as it fits all PT Cruisers). A Bando 4PK1400 or Gates K040550 works as well.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:40 PM   #11
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Would have loved to see Super-Crashy snowplowing down the road with that extra hp... :)
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:20 PM   #12
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
Extra torque :P
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:21 AM   #13
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
By the way, for those interested, if you don't have A/C (or want to eliminate it with the Blitz) a 55" belt fits perfectly. Crashy doesn't have a compressor, so I bought a 4040550 from Autozone (which is a common stocked part, as it fits all PT Cruisers). A Bando 4PK1400 or Gates K040550 works as well.
Autozone lists the PT Cruiser belt as 5040550 online, but no listing for 4040550. Looks like it's the equivalent part number:

Tags
blitz, supercharger