Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Australia
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-27-2012, 12:27 AM   #1
Micropurchase

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE
Telescopic steering column extension length?

Quick question for those in Australia who have Yarii with telescopic steering columns: What is the total length of extension the telescopic column provides?

I have a '12 Yaris (United States model) and am looking to purchase and install a telescopic column. The seller in Europe that I am looking to purchase a left hand drive telescopic column from doesn't know what the extension length is.
Micropurchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:08 AM   #2
aussie muzza

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan YRS auto
Micropurchase
I did not know my steering column was adjustable for reach (I knew it adjusted up and down) until I read your question and went out to the garage to consult my owners manual. My '07 YRS Sedan has the adjustable reach column. It is difficult to measure accurately but the best I can determine is that the reach can be extended by 35mm. This is almost 1.5 inches. I hope this is of some help.
regards Muz
aussie muzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:56 AM   #3
Micropurchase

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE
Thanks Muz. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Our US versions of the Yaris only have tilt adjustment, not telescopic (even the brand new 2012s). There have been a number of discussion threads on the US forum on ways to extend the steering column. So far, nobody has come up with good ways to do that. I am looking at options . . .
Micropurchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:38 AM   #4
aussie muzza

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan YRS auto
Micro
Could I respectively ask why you wish to change the steering column? Mrs Muz is fairly short, about 5ft 4 and has no trouble reaching the wheel although she puts the drivers seat forward a fair way. I am a fair bit taller and we seem to cope without adjusting the column reach. It would be quite an operation to change the steering column on your new car. If you change it can you still fit the original steering lock so you keep the same key? Would you use the original steering wheel?
regards Muz
aussie muzza is offline   Reply With Quote