Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-10-2009, 11:31 PM   #1
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

Drives: 2 2007 Yaris 3 door liftback
Forced Induction and Fuel Economy

So far I have not heard anyone say that a turbo would increase fuel economy with the 1.5 liter motor. But with Ford talking about it's Ecoboost motor producing more power with improved fuel economy, I wonder if a turbo would pay for itself over it's life span. I found a turbo kit for the 1.5 liter motor Toyota Yaris at http://www.turbo-kits.com/yaris_turbo_kits.html. The fuel management system is not included. I have read nothing about any one making a automatic fuel management system. I am one of those who would not like to have to fiddle with manual fuel management syste. Still I wondered how guys into hp react to the cost of the kit and the claim of a 100%+ hp gain.
ellenbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:52 PM   #2
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
woah crap they are in windsor locks, CT
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:03 AM   #3
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
At that price , one would have thoght the Blitz S/C is a better option.
i only say that as a good a/m management computer is about another 2k on top
of the turbo price .
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:06 AM   #4
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Is turbo-kits.com legit?
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:07 AM   #5
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
a good a/m management computer is about another 2k on top
of the turbo price .
Um, no?
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:55 AM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
The question is about fuel economy?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:01 PM   #7
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Ford's Ecoboost engine has been designed to be turbo'ed from the beginning and its characteristics honed to provide a power increase while maintaining good fuel consumption, and by all accounts they can do a very good job at that.

The problem is that our engines have been designed from the ground up to be extremely efficient without any kind of forced induction. So, it can never have exactly the same characteristics as a turboe'd engine. That being said, by all accounts, adding a small turbo or a supercharger, then proceeding to drive normally, does give you a sensibly more powerful engine without extremely high of a mileage cost.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:01 PM   #8
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
The question is about fuel economy?
and turbos... HELP!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:20 PM   #9
Morgan

Drives: 07 MM LB
well the rest of the world gave up on the big displacement v8 a long time ago (luxury car brands excluded) and moved on to smaller forced induction engines to make power and still maintain fuel efficiency and emissions standards... its funny that ford (now doing the same thing) is marketing their 'smaller displacement forced induction' engines as "ECOBOOST" like its some new and amazing concept

yet another reason american auto makers are still behind the curve....

my $.02
Old 08-11-2009, 12:37 PM   #10
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Who needs FI, when you can get 325 hp and 660 ft-lbs of torque out of a 4-cylinder diesel motor? Well that is if the EcoMotors International open piston, opposed cylinder engine currently in development ever enters production.

For what it's worth, my fuel econ went up a couple mpg with the s/c--until I started running the A/C. With it running my mpg is down about 2-3 mpg compared to last summer.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:40 PM   #11
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

The way you get improved fuel economy with a turbo is by using a smaller turboed engine to replace a bigger naturally aspirated engine with the same power. You're unlikely to see much improvement in fuel economy by adding a turbo to an existing gasoline engine, though you do recover some wasted energy from the exhaust stream to overcome some of the pumping losses at part throttle. Usually you're going to use the turbo to increase the power used, and fuel economy will go down. Wouldn't be much point adding all that power and never using it, would there?
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:12 AM   #12
Cosmonaut
The Last Baron

Drives: 09 Polar White HB
LOL if some company guaranteed that their turbo would increase FE i would get that in writing and then sue them for false claims.

Yaris Hilton hit the head saying you get improved FE using a smaller boosted engine as opposed to a larger displacement engine. i read some time a go Ford would leave the V8 a lone but offer the ecoboost V6 engine. i say boost the 8 too.

and a good chunk of the world moved to smaller displacement engines not the "rest".
Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote