Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-29-2007, 07:41 PM   #19
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Olavich View Post
No, you are wrong again....since the LB Yaris gas gauge shows bars, these indicators are ANALOG, not DIGITAL...you wrongfully think that just because the display is an LCD, that it is digital...this is wrong thinking...for that gauge to be digital, it would have to show NUMBERS!

I have Master's in Electrical Engineering, by the way ;-)
Oh shit.. Pavel IS BACK!!
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:38 PM   #20
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by petesimac View Post
Digital television displays a picture, not numbers.
hehe you are quite wrong actually... a digital TV (i assume we are talking about LCD or plasma) have pixels that are either on (1) or off (0) of yellow, megenta, blue, or the presence of all the colours (white) or the abscence of all the colours (black). :)
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 02:04 PM   #21
manborn
are u still 34/39?

Drives: flint mica yaris s sedan
2 blinking modes

not sure if this has been mentioned but on my s sedan:

- last bar blinks slow first
- then a bit faster when it's really low

i'll post youtube link soon
manborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 02:07 PM   #22
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

It has, but I guess post it for those wondering..
Old 08-26-2007, 04:20 PM   #23
jdium
Mr Attitude

Drives: Blazing Blue 5 Spd
I have a digital watch, I won it at a carnival

Like others said, I get nervous when it starts blinking at me. And with the story someone posted on here recently about the cost of replacing his fuel pump that warranty didn't cover due to negligence, I don't want to risk it...
Old 08-26-2007, 04:24 PM   #24
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Exactly. No reason what-so-ever to let it get to that point... with the MPG these cars get, there shouldn't be an issue finding a gas pump before then.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:20 PM   #25
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
I like the digital gage. The fast blink mode (twice every second) is hard to ignore. Once it's in hyper blinking mode, getting gas becomes my number one priority.

In my old car (Civic), the analog gage was annoying, since it'd fluctuate while taking a turn. The digital gage in the Yaris isn't so quick to react from the G's, which is a good thing.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:41 AM   #26
black2yaris
The Man In Black Lives

Drives: Black Sand Pearl L/B 'o7
Yes the pump is in the tank & yer wise to keep cool with a bath of fuel as replaceing it is expensive
black2yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:29 AM   #27
Canuck

Drives: 07 5 door Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pars View Post
I like the digital gage. The fast blink mode (twice every second) is hard to ignore. Once it's in hyper blinking mode, getting gas becomes my number one priority.

In my old car (Civic), the analog gage was annoying, since it'd fluctuate while taking a turn. The digital gage in the Yaris isn't so quick to react from the G's, which is a good thing.
The same colour blinking combined with the center mounted console makes it hard to see. There should be a yellow warning light on the left hand side of the cluster, closer to our peripheral vision.

And that gauge is not that accurate. Last Friday, I was starting to think that either the cluster or the tank sensor was broken as that first bar was not disapearing. It went after 125km. My next thought was that this will be my greates tank ever!!!! The second bar went at 185km. Pretty much where it always disappears.
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:46 PM   #28
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
my gas gauge average fuel:

1st bar atleast 110km to 126km the most
2nd bar goes up to 180-205km the most
3rd bar goes up to 250-265km
4th bar goes up to 320-345km the most
5th bar goes up to 385-405km
6th bar goes up to 460-490km
7th bar goes up to 540-572km
last bar- unbeknown- id give it 50-75 km the most. to dry empty.

Last edited by marcus; 08-27-2007 at 07:22 PM.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:27 PM   #29
Trish

Drives: Yaris Sedan 07
Send a message via MSN to Trish
LOL! That probably will happen to me some day....but, you guys don't have the PEA???? It's a protection sold with our Yaris here in Quebec. It' pretty like the CAA. They will bring gaz if you need it ad it's free (you pay for it when you buy the car)
Old 08-27-2007, 04:29 PM   #30
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
yup i got one caa here in canada under toyota roadside assistance.

AAA in the states..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:16 PM   #31
argylesocks
Bears eat beets.

Drives: Yaris LB
oh man... i ran out this winter... at a stop light, about 1 mile from the gas station. 2 lane road with no shoulder.... i pushed it for about 500 feet solo to the first spot i could get it off the road. haha... pushed it into a snow bank cause i couldnt turn the wheel fast enough, so then i had to push it out of the snow, and back into the parking lot. what a mess... all the while, i was peeing myself afraid that i was gonna get runned over.

ran to the station at that point...
Old 08-27-2007, 06:19 PM   #32
death is my gift
wacky broadway nightmare

Drives: Willow is a '07 Red Yaris LB
Send a message via AIM to death is my gift Send a message via MSN to death is my gift Send a message via Yahoo to death is my gift
Quote:
Originally Posted by argylesocks View Post
oh man... i ran out this winter... at a stop light, about 1 mile from the gas station. 2 lane road with no shoulder.... i pushed it for about 500 feet solo to the first spot i could get it off the road. haha... pushed it into a snow bank cause i couldnt turn the wheel fast enough, so then i had to push it out of the snow, and back into the parking lot. what a mess... all the while, i was peeing myself afraid that i was gonna get runned over.

ran to the station at that point...
That is a really funny mental image.

The peeing.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:29 PM   #33
manborn
are u still 34/39?

Drives: flint mica yaris s sedan
i guess im just real cheap coz i did kill mine as well before trying to go to next next next cheaper gas station
manborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:19 AM   #34
death is my gift
wacky broadway nightmare

Drives: Willow is a '07 Red Yaris LB
Send a message via AIM to death is my gift Send a message via MSN to death is my gift Send a message via Yahoo to death is my gift
Normally when my last gas bar thing is blinking I get all nervous. Well, it's blinking now and I want to see how far I can push it. I've read here that someone got like 50 miles out of the last gas bar blinking. I reset my mile thingie when it went down to the blinking light.....so far I have 14 miles on it. Hope it lasts til 50 cuz I don't get paid until Friday.

Oh. I drive 16 miles round trip to work. Staying in once I get home too. Gonna milk that last bar.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:17 PM   #35
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
Makes two of us.

wow so by your reasoning everything DIGITAL has to have numbers right? well the basis of DIGITAl is 1 and 0 and as an example a binary clock doesnt show numbers just bars/dots/lines. also most car makes still use analog inputs and convert the data into digital form. its called ADC and sampling

the gauge display is digital since its probably BCD coded to display the bars, the mechanism is analog im not arguing that , but the DISPLAY itself is digital, they dont turn off gradually, each bar comes on 1 or off 0, we could be sitting here arguing till we're blue in the face but until we see the schematic of the gauge display you and i could both be wrong or right. Im sure your familiar with the 7 segment decoder chip , also it can have an ADC to take the level mesurment and convert it into bar display.

Just because the bars have two states (off and on) does not make the fuel gage digital. The bars are in fact not linear in representing the same quantities of gas. The gage is in fact analog, otherwise if it were digital then each bar would represent the same quantity of fuel, which they do not. For example the first few bars turn off slower then the last few ;-)
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:01 AM   #36
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
The same colour blinking combined with the center mounted console makes it hard to see. There should be a yellow warning light on the left hand side of the cluster, closer to our peripheral vision.

And that gauge is not that accurate. Last Friday, I was starting to think that either the cluster or the tank sensor was broken as that first bar was not disapearing. It went after 125km. My next thought was that this will be my greates tank ever!!!! The second bar went at 185km. Pretty much where it always disappears.
Yep, my first drop happens at around 130km. The digital display is setup in a way to mislead you into thinking that you've got 1/2 tank remaining when you've actually got 1/3 tank left. Regardless, it's still very accurate once you factor in that idiosyncrasy
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote