Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-13-2015, 09:05 PM   #1
bmbit
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris
A/C on and off on 2011 Yaris

Parents have a 2011 1.3 litre Yaris and just recently the A/C started malfunctioning. It will come on for about 15 minutes, then switch off for 15 and then come back on again. It never stays on throughout the trip. I hope it's not the compressor due to the age of the car. Any insight would be appreciated.
bmbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:11 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Typically it will cycle like that if the refrigerant level is either too high or too low.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:05 PM   #3
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
What is the typical/correct cycle time for a properly charged system? Mine cycles about 15 seconds (at idle, which is the only time I can hear it) as well. My Yaris is about 5.5 years old and has about 131,000 miles and I haven't taken it in for (or done) any maintenance besides oil/filter changes...

TIA
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:53 PM   #4
Ben_

Drives: 2010 Yaris Hatch
Every system will run differently based on humidity ambient temp condition of the system and amount of refrigerant. The ac system is a huge collection of sensors and a computer and is very intelligent so it can run at peak performance. I was searching through the service manuals available on Mitchell online and did not find a specific cycling period but that doesn't mean there isn't one. Read up on the ac system in the service manual but I will say that as long as the system is working there is no cause for alarm. The computer will shut down the compressor long before any catastrophic damage is done

On a side note I recently recharged my system and it was sitting at .42 lbs when it should be between .75-.85 lbs. This is after what I can assume is 5 years but I don't know if the PO recharged it before I bought it 2 years ago. The system still ran just fine with the refrigerant so low but it can cause excessive wear on the compressor clutch. I haven't noticed a giant difference in cooling efficiency after the recharge but then again its still only 70 outside in utah
Ben_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 02:45 AM   #5
khudainazar
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2008
Few weeks back, I also bought Yaris 2008 in Dubai, U.A.E where the weather is usually very hot. Problem with the AC is like when it wants, it blows cool air but most of the time it blows just plain air, Plus it works only up to 2 fan speed, if I select 3 or 4 fan speed, it stops working at all.
Went to one workshop, the guy was telling me its Ambient Temp Sensor has problem and he was changing it for 70 AED but not giving any warranty/guarantee. That's why I didn't.
Checked with some people who own Yaris. They suggested me if you get that kind of problems, better to replace Compressor.
(1 thing more, when I went to workshop, AC was not working that time, AC guy squeezed the wires which was going towards Ambient Temp Sensor, then suddenly AC started working. Check also these cables)
khudainazar is offline   Reply With Quote