Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-10-2009, 01:12 PM   #19
cyberfrogg

Drives: Yaris Sedan S
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
If you just "tapped" your switch onto pins 3 and 4 then that would explain the issue you are having.
what does that mean? If I just "tapped" them?
cyberfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:19 PM   #20
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfrogg View Post
what does that mean? If I just "tapped" them?
I mean if you spliced your wires onto the existing wires, as opposed to pulling the pin out of pin 3 and inserting the new wire into pin 3.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #21
cyberfrogg

oooohhhhh! No, I didnt do that. I just inserted the wires with the existing ones. Blue into pin 3 and green to pin 4. Was I supposed to remove the existing wire in pin 3? what would that do?
Old 04-10-2009, 01:39 PM   #22
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
oooohhhhh! No, I didnt do that. I just inserted the wires with the existing ones. Blue into pin 3 and green to pin 4. Was I supposed to remove the existing wire in pin 3? what would that do?
The pin 4 connection is the big issue I believe. Only the OEM wire should be connected there.

Try this:

1. Disconnect both of your wires from Pins 3 and 4.

2. Pop the pin out of pin 3 (or, if your harness just has bare ends, snip the wire going to pin 3, leaving an inch or so to connect to.

3. Connect one of your wires to one side of the snipped wire (harness side) and the other to the other side (connector side).
Old 04-10-2009, 02:32 PM   #23
cyberfrogg

okay I'll do that when I get home. =] thanks!

I hope this works!
Old 04-10-2009, 05:44 PM   #24
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
The relay from what i have been told should also have a
inline resister as per photo of this relay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg relay 005.JPG (30.7 KB, 350 views)
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:01 PM   #25
Meteorite_Marty

Drives: 2008 5-door Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
exactly the Yaris is already prewired, the only harness you need is the one to connect the Fogs together and to the fuse box in the engine bay.

Purchase the foglight stalk. The install is SOOOOOO much simpler and no messing with firewall and interior wiring. Plus, the fog light stalk is how it would come if you ordered your car with fogs from Toyota factory directly.
Meteorite_Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:02 PM   #26
Meteorite_Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbond View Post
So, let's see if I understand this. If I wanted to use the factory stalk instead of the little button that goes into the console, then all I need to do is wire up the fog lights, put the wire into the fuse box in the engine bay, and then put the relay where it's supposed to go? So I wouldn't even need that extra wiring harness for the cabin? If so, that's fantastic.
Purchase the foglight stalk, I don't think the default headlight stalk can handle fog light control. The install is SOOOOOO much simpler and no messing with firewall and interior wiring. Plus, the fog light stalk is how it would come if you ordered your car with fogs from Toyota factory directly.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:54 PM   #27
mrbond

Drives: 2008 meteorite hatchback
Send a message via AIM to mrbond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteorite_Marty View Post
Purchase the foglight stalk, I don't think the default headlight stalk can handle fog light control. The install is SOOOOOO much simpler and no messing with firewall and interior wiring. Plus, the fog light stalk is how it would come if you ordered your car with fogs from Toyota factory directly.
For sure, I'm definitely doing this. I don't like messing with electrical stuff - too complicated.
mrbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:06 PM   #28
Meteorite_Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbond View Post
For sure, I'm definitely doing this. I don't like messing with electrical stuff - too complicated.
This post gives links to order the RELAY and FOG LIGHT STALK

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...og+light+stalk
Old 04-10-2009, 10:57 PM   #29
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Thanks all. I installed the foglights and figured that I don't HAVE to have the foglight indicator on in the instrument panel since it indicates "on" on the button itself.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:24 PM   #30
Meteorite_Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Thanks all. I installed the foglights and figured that I don't HAVE to have the foglight indicator on in the instrument panel since it indicates "on" on the button itself.
If you had used the fog light stalk, then the bonus to that is the dash indicator comes on when you turn on the fogs. Totally like factory.

This is the way I did mine.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:53 PM   #31
cyberfrogg

Quote:
The pin 4 connection is the big issue I believe. Only the OEM wire should be connected there.

Try this:

1. Disconnect both of your wires from Pins 3 and 4.

2. Pop the pin out of pin 3 (or, if your harness just has bare ends, snip the wire going to pin 3, leaving an inch or so to connect to.

3. Connect one of your wires to one side of the snipped wire (harness side) and the other to the other side (connector side).
I tried doing this and it didn't work... My fog lights would not turn on. I snipped the original yellow wire in pin 3 and connected my green wire to it (so now the green wire is connected to pin 3 directly) and then I got my blue wire and connected it to the other piece of the yellow wire that was hanging.

this is what it looked like before:

And it looks something like this now:

(the black rectangle on the bottom just represents like the switch of the fogs...)

Did i do something wrong? Now that its wired like this my switch works just as its supposed to but my fog lights wont turn on at all anymore... =/

please help!
Old 04-25-2009, 10:06 PM   #32
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Did i do something wrong? Now that its wired like this my switch works just as its supposed to but my fog lights wont turn on at all anymore... =/

please help!
What do you mean by switch works just as it's supposed to? Do you mean that when you press the fog switch, the dash indicator comes on, but the lights don't?
Old 04-25-2009, 10:13 PM   #33
cyberfrogg

Quote:
What do you mean by switch works just as it's supposed to? Do you mean that when you press the fog switch, the dash indicator comes on, but the lights don't?
The fog light symbol on the switch turns along with all my other interior lights, which is good. And when I press the switch, the little led indicator turns on as its supposed to. The only thing is the fog lights themselves dont turn on and therefore the symbol on the dash doesnt turn on. So the lights on the switch do what theyre supposed to do. Before I wired it this way, the little led would be on all the time (except for when I had my fogs in use). So in a sense, it was backwards. And now it works, but my fogs dont turn on...
Old 04-25-2009, 10:51 PM   #34
CTScott
ULTIMATE

How many wires connect to your switch?
Old 04-26-2009, 12:40 PM   #35
cyberfrogg

Four. This is an old pic I had. Its the only one that kinda shows em.

I have two Greens, one blue, and a ground... the black one.

One green I have wired underneath the gear shift so that the fog light symbol gets light from it and turns on when I turn on my lights inside.

The other green and the blue are what are messing me up.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:14 PM   #36
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Four. This is an old pic I had. Its the only one that kinda shows em.

I have two Greens, one blue, and a ground... the black one.

One green I have wired underneath the gear shift so that the fog light symbol gets light from it and turns on when I turn on my lights inside.

The other green and the blue are what are messing me up.
Looking at various DIY's on aftermarket fog installs, it looks like there a couple of different harnesses (with different wire colors, etc.), some of which require modification in order to connect them to the oem fog wiring.

This one seems to best match your description, and it requires modification to connect to the oem wiring:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9473