Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-26-2012, 04:12 AM   #1
TMR3

Drives: Toyota Yaris YR 2006
Unhappy Water leak to passenger side AND driver side

I know many people have had issues with this before, and i havent found a solution yet to this as my yaris still leaks into the passenger side carpet.
Ive tried everything that was said -
- the little tube underneath the passenger carpet - cleaned it out.
- the windscreen gutters - got them cleaned with a pressure cleaner and flushed out with 10 litres of water...

We have been having strong storms in Sydney, Australia lately, and what ive noticed now is that, whilst is still leaks on the passenger side, as i turn the ignition on and start to move it, a flush of water just hits my feet on the drivers side...

Please, someone help me...
This is getting frustrating... and to have a first car with such problems like this, im quite dissapointed.. :(
TMR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:29 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR3 View Post
I know many people have had issues with this before, and i havent found a solution yet to this as my yaris still leaks into the passenger side carpet.
Ive tried everything that was said -
- the little tube underneath the passenger carpet - cleaned it out.
- the windscreen gutters - got them cleaned with a pressure cleaner and flushed out with 10 litres of water...

We have been having strong storms in Sydney, Australia lately, and what ive noticed now is that, whilst is still leaks on the passenger side, as i turn the ignition on and start to move it, a flush of water just hits my feet on the drivers side...

Please, someone help me...
This is getting frustrating... and to have a first car with such problems like this, im quite dissapointed.. :(
Do you hear water sloshing under the dash? If so, then chances are that it is the airbox for the A/C that is backed up with condensate. If that is the case, then you may not have gotten far enough up the condensate drain hose to break up the blockage.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Or maybe the blockage is IN the box itself?
I had this so bad n my car that the fan would speed up and slow down from the water...

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:42 PM   #4
widap
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris
Water Dripping onto the Passenger Side Floor

For a few weeks I had been experiencing water dripping onto the passenger side floor mat in my 3-year-old Yaris. It was dripping from a fan unit directly behind the glove box. At times it would just be an occasional drip, but other times (when blowing the fan hard through the floor vent, or when the car made a left turn) it would be a steady stream of water. Luckily I have rubber floor mats that allowed the majority of the water to pool. We've been receiving a lot of rain lately, so I assumed that rainwater had somehow gotten trapped inside the car and would eventually evaporate. At one point the problem did seem to correct itself for a few days, but then it came back. I then figured out, through trial and error, that the issue was actually tied to the AC unit--if I ran the AC for more than a few minutes on a particular day, the water leak would return. After poking around a bit on the Internet, including this website, I was able to correct the problem. The issue was worse when I turned a left corner--for whatever reason water wouldn't stream out during a right turn. The streaming water when turning a left corner was accompanied by a strange sound that I couldn't quite put my finger on (it wasn't just water sloshing around). I then spotted another blog that was able to help me better describe it: the sound of a rain stick. To solve the problem, I simply pulled up the corner of my carpet on the passenger side, closest to the center console. There is a black rubber hose leading from the fan unit, under the carpet, down through the floor. This is the AC condensation drain hose. Per several recommendations, I took a wire (I used a wire hanger that I had unraveled) and gently poked it up through the length of the hose. The hose is less than a foot long, so not difficult to navigate with the wire. I had a large plastic cup handy in case water came gushing out, as some folks had suggested. Nothing happened. I then attempted to blow hard on the end of the hose, but there was zero give. I then turned on the car and the AC, blew really hard again, and this time I could feel something give/dislodge. A flood of water (and a little dirt) came gushing out, and at that point air was streaming out of the hose as well. This air pressure presumably pushes out the water droplets, preventing the water from building up in the fan unit. Whatever foreign object that was blocking the hose may still be trapped up in the fan unit, but for now the problem has been resolved. Youtube has videos of exactly where this hose is located and what it looks like. I then immediately went out and purchased a Cabin Air Filter for approximately $20, because some folks had suggested that Toyota didn't supply this filter with their line of Yaris vehicles, and thus the lack of filter is what likely allowed the debris to enter the fan unit in the first place. Again, I found a video on Youtube showing how to remove the glove box and install the filter, which was actually fairly simple. Just be careful not to damage the little black arm that prevents the glove box from completely dropping down out of the dash. For now, problem solved, hopefully it doesn't return. But if it does, it should be a fairly quick fix...
widap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Sounds like one the first things that people need to do when buying a pre-owned Yaris is make sure that a cabin filter is in it...
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:31 PM   #6
eelracnna
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris 4 Door
Yaris Woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by widap View Post
For a few weeks I had been experiencing water dripping onto the passenger side floor mat in my 3-year-old Yaris. It was dripping from a fan unit directly behind the glove box. At times it would just be an occasional drip, but other times (when blowing the fan hard through the floor vent, or when the car made a left turn) it would be a steady stream of water. Luckily I have rubber floor mats that allowed the majority of the water to pool. We've been receiving a lot of rain lately, so I assumed that rainwater had somehow gotten trapped inside the car and would eventually evaporate. At one point the problem did seem to correct itself for a few days, but then it came back. I then figured out, through trial and error, that the issue was actually tied to the AC unit--if I ran the AC for more than a few minutes on a particular day, the water leak would return. After poking around a bit on the Internet, including this website, I was able to correct the problem. The issue was worse when I turned a left corner--for whatever reason water wouldn't stream out during a right turn. The streaming water when turning a left corner was accompanied by a strange sound that I couldn't quite put my finger on (it wasn't just water sloshing around). I then spotted another blog that was able to help me better describe it: the sound of a rain stick. To solve the problem, I simply pulled up the corner of my carpet on the passenger side, closest to the center console. There is a black rubber hose leading from the fan unit, under the carpet, down through the floor. This is the AC condensation drain hose. Per several recommendations, I took a wire (I used a wire hanger that I had unraveled) and gently poked it up through the length of the hose. The hose is less than a foot long, so not difficult to navigate with the wire. I had a large plastic cup handy in case water came gushing out, as some folks had suggested. Nothing happened. I then attempted to blow hard on the end of the hose, but there was zero give. I then turned on the car and the AC, blew really hard again, and this time I could feel something give/dislodge. A flood of water (and a little dirt) came gushing out, and at that point air was streaming out of the hose as well. This air pressure presumably pushes out the water droplets, preventing the water from building up in the fan unit. Whatever foreign object that was blocking the hose may still be trapped up in the fan unit, but for now the problem has been resolved. Youtube has videos of exactly where this hose is located and what it looks like. I then immediately went out and purchased a Cabin Air Filter for approximately $20, because some folks had suggested that Toyota didn't supply this filter with their line of Yaris vehicles, and thus the lack of filter is what likely allowed the debris to enter the fan unit in the first place. Again, I found a video on Youtube showing how to remove the glove box and install the filter, which was actually fairly simple. Just be careful not to damage the little black arm that prevents the glove box from completely dropping down out of the dash. For now, problem solved, hopefully it doesn't return. But if it does, it should be a fairly quick fix...
When you say you blew on it, do you mean you blew air into it or literally blew into the tube like a balloon? I've been trying different wires and I get a few drops and little drains, but nothing like the gushing water people are describing. Just trying to understand your method a little better so I can give it a try!
eelracnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:03 PM   #7
Kelvincoffey
I've made a post!

Drives: 07 Yaris YR
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR3 View Post
I am currently chasing this issue as well. Drivers side, 1 inch of water deep after rain and pours out on my feet when i goto drive.

Cannot for the life of me find where its coming from, but its definitely coming from under dash. My gut feel is windscreen seal.

I did have the windscreen replaced around 5 years ago.
Kelvincoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:19 AM   #8
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
HVAC drain hose

There are few cars on the road that didn't come with one of those drain hoses, aimed at the pavement somewhere in the vicinity of the lower firewall.
I put a small clear plastic bag on the end of my Corolla's recently to help determine coolant use was not a leaky heater core or something else in the airbox. (Sure enough, head gasket...another story.)
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote