Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-29-2019, 09:39 PM   #1
sv650steve

Drives: accord (for now)
Clutch swap.

So I've felt my clutch giving a bit, and rode home with the ebrake on like a super dork. Now every gear is neutral. I'm about to pull the clutch...but that damn splash guard for the drive shaft seal is in the way of the final bolt. I guess I need a longer wrench? It's too tight for a socket or breaker bar. Another question is how do you get the drive shafts out, cause the manual says they just slide out, but mine are frozen. Do i just beat them out with those fork looking tool? One of the boots is ripped and has sand in it. Can i just shoot out the sand with some spray and lube it up generously? I'm willing to buy a new one...just not right now. Ohh and I got a 9 pound flywheel The car is strait gokart. No back seats, and it looks beat down, has coilovers and it sits pretty low. I'll probably zip tie alot of the extra stuff together cause it's got so many unnecessary mounts for the harness.
sv650steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:14 PM   #2
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
I got my CV shafts out by using a pry bar to pry against the lip on the metal bit of the cup. Didn't work first few times. So then i tried to shock it out by tugging on it sharply Then had another go at prying and they finally popped out. Not easy to get out.

Do you hear any clicking noises when turning? You might have got lucky. Take the joint apart, clean it out. Look for any obvious signs of wear on the metal surfaces and then regrease and replace the ripped boot. Sometimes you get lucky.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2019, 08:22 AM   #3
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I'm not sure what bolt you're referring to. When pulling the trans on mine, I remove the entire front end and pull the whole engine. I don't have AC anymore so that's one less hassle to reconnect.

For the driveshafts, I bought an axle puller attachment for my slide hammer. There's no way to use it on the slide but it works amazingly by just sliding it between the trans and the cup and tapping it in. Put the flat end towards the shaft so that it wedges it out.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:20 AM   #4
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I'm also not sure which bolt you are referring to.

In regards to pulling to axles, I find the ones in the yaris are much more snug than other cars I have pulled axles on. They way I got around this is by placing a long pry bar on the indent on the inner axle joint housing. Then use a rubber mallet or small sledgehammer and tap it. The hammering/tapping works better to pop out the axle and just trying to pry it. I have also found that turning the axle a bit and retrying helps as it changes the position of the circlip that holds it in place. Sake goes for re installing.

What ever you do, do not install aftermarket axles that dont have indents on the inner joint housing. Tjat is the only hope you have to pop them out easily.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:37 PM   #5
sv650steve

Drives: accord (for now)
Well I should be able to pull the transmission with the axle cups in place? I ended up removing both driveshafts - the cups. Also It seems I'm stuck on the lower transmission mount. I've removed enough to pull the transmission but i can't seem to remove the bracket for the mount, or push the rod with the bushings back far enough.
sv650steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:03 PM   #6
mirageman

Drives: 2009 yaris
Go HERE bud,

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/2...is-clutch.html

I just did this a few weeks ago in my 09 sedan. Runs like a dream now after 3k miles on my new clutch. Like a totally new car, smooth take offs, seamless shifts. No awkward stalls. I really think OEM wasn't ideal with range of clamping and/or clutch material. I went with Valeo, great deal and great results. Those axles popped right out on mine, check your seals, I hope you didn't cut them on the way out, you'll leak. I took care and removed the axles slowly, making sure they didn't rub on the seals. Good luck, guy!
mirageman is offline   Reply With Quote