Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-20-2009, 04:41 PM   #1
MicroHB

Drives: MY HB
TC swap?

anyone tried to swap TC engine into yaris??
MicroHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:57 PM   #2
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
pretty sure no

why would you choose such a heavy powerplant?

and why not call it a toyota Highlander engine?
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:55 PM   #3
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
or a camry
Old 03-20-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZINBLUEVITZ View Post
or a camry
or a tacoma
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:30 PM   #5
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
or a tacoma
really?
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:33 PM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
or a tacoma
Nope, not the same as a Tacoma.

Quote:
Engine
2.7-liter DOHC EFI 4-cylinder with VVT-i
159 hp @ 5200 rpm
180 lb.-ft. @ 3800 rpm
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
mastaofdisasta

Drives: yaris
throw a nissan titan engine in thar
Old 03-20-2009, 07:43 PM   #8
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Nope, not the same as a Tacoma.
1999 tacoma 2.4

2AZFE

sorry dude, you're wrong
http://www.1aauto.com/1A/alternator/...AL00344/610766
you nailed it sir.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:48 PM   #9
tuckevalastin

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
I don't think the point is that it won't fit but more that there are better, lighter options that will also fit
Old 03-20-2009, 08:52 PM   #10
supmet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
isn't the TC engine bay same size as the regular Yaris?
I don't really think so.. the tc hood is like 4 feet long. The yaris hood is like 2.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:58 PM   #11
tuckevalastin

Well personally if I couldn't figure a way to stuff a LS1 in it I wouldn't bother with a motor swap in the Yaris... but for those that would, I think they find other Toyota motors to be a better choice.

As for engine swaps in general, certain motors like the chevy 350 or the LS1 or etc. can be put in almost anything and still be considered ok in the car world. A die hard fan will always be against an engine from a different make though.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:08 PM   #12
tuckevalastin

assuming you are talking about the last generation MR2's 1ZZ-FE, I'm pretty sure that engine wasn't as powerful as the 2zz-GE from the Celica.

don't qoute me though, I'm no Toyota engine diehard
Old 03-20-2009, 09:13 PM   #13
tuckevalastin

You'd stand out from the rest of us...
Old 03-20-2009, 10:48 PM   #14
Tamago

www.monkeywrenchracing.com for all your 1zz/2zz needs
you nailed it sir.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:21 PM   #15
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
the 2AZ will fit and it is a great platform to build on. On such a light car, the power to weight difference doesn't really factor in. Yes, the 2ZZ is more powerful, but that doesn't mean better.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:45 PM   #16
supmet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
the 2AZ will fit
link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
and it is a great platform to build on. On such a light car, the power to weight difference doesn't really factor in. Yes, the 2ZZ is more powerful, but that doesn't mean better.
In what way is a 2.4L that is producing less power better than a 1.8 producing more? From what I hear the 2ZZ is a tight squeeze already. There's no way you'll be able fit a supercharger or turbo with the 2AZ(if it actually fits).
Old 03-21-2009, 05:14 AM   #17
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
In what way is a 2.4L that is producing less power better than a 1.8 producing more? From what I hear the 2ZZ is a tight squeeze already. There's no way you'll be able fit a supercharger or turbo with the 2AZ(if it actually fits).
Very different engine characteristics, the 2ZZ needs to rev HARD to get its power, while a larger engine would be much more torquey and usable.

PK, if it's the latest model MR2 then yes, that would be a 1ZZ engine. Engine which was also used in the previous generation regular 1.8L Corollas. The 2ZZ (Celica, Matrix/Corolla XRS) is essentially the same engine, but with the VVTL-i head which, like Honda's VTEC, allows a high-RPM cam profile for an increase in power, like a second wind, if you will... These engines have been swapped in Yarii over here, as well as Puerto Rico, and I am sure in many other places.

If it's an older MR2 then you'd have the 2.0L 3S-GE engine, a very very respectable powerplant but far larger and heavier than the ZZ series. I have seen one with my own eyes wedged in a previous-generation Vios here, really tight fit!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:20 AM   #18
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
Sounds like I need to revamp the old "motor swap thread"
2az (New TC 2.4L Motor) Will not fit.

Reasons why,
1. Its a BIG motor compared to the Yaris motor, I mean yes it is small in comparrison to other 2.4L motors, but it is fairly too big to fit in the tiny Hatchback engine bay, even the sedan engine bay wouldnt hold that much.

2. The complete orientation of the motor is reversed from the Yaris, meaning that the hot side (exhaust) and cold side (intake) are reversed...This will only complicate things if you want to keep the ECU and cooling parts in their same area, IF you wedge the motor in the car, but the header is 3 centimeters from the radiator, your going to have a small issue. Or if its 3 centimeters from the ECU, problems once more. The hardest part of this particular swap, would be rebuilding the engine bay from the ground up to make everything fit and work in a harmonous manner. Plus there is the downfall of having to change either the complete setup of the engine bay, or the orientation of the motor...CUSTOM WORK, of course your going to expect it when it comes to exhaust and intake piping, but when you have to change drivetrain parts, who says that the TC transmission is even going to come close to fitting, and if even clear certain critical parts of the Yaris. Then your going to have to pray that after all this, you can bolt up to the origional driveshafts, if not...more custom and costly work.

3. IF you were to swap this in, there are better and smaller motors out there that can generate the same if not more HP than this engine. The 2az TC motor only produces about 160hp, the Xb version even less...Now compare that to a 1zz from the Celica (140hp) add intake, exhaust, header, pulleys and you are at the same HP level. Cram a 2zz in there and your looking at 170ish HP. A 4age Blacktop is around the same HP as the 2az. I am not saying the 2az is a bad motor, just there are more motors out there, than just the TC one.

4. Money, IF you are willing to spend this kind of money into a car, I would assume that more than likely you could have afforded a nicer/faster car. If you wanted 160hp to start, why not buy a last gen Civic SI hatch (Not trying to promote Honda, but just being honest).

5. With money comes another idea, instead of tearing apart EVERYTHING in hope that you can start new, take the existing motor, redo internals and try boost. Almost every application using a turbocharger out there is putting down 150WHP (WHEEL, not base), which is about 170bhp. I am not claiming that the 1nz (Yaris motor) is the best canidate for the forced induction market, but by no means does it have no potential...Just ask Garm

Oh and to clear up the cost of a 2az motor, cheapest one I found was $1100, no transmission, no ECU, no wiring harness, etc...cheapest with all that was about $2000, but with a 4spd auto, "Complete".

Oh, and heres the application list for all vehicles that have a 2azfe in them...
Most common application is the TC, and Camry
Toyota Camry (2002-2009)
Toyota Matrix XRS/Pontiac Vibe (2009-)
Toyota Corolla XRS (2009-)
Toyota Camry Solara (2004-)
Toyota RAV4 (2006-2008)
Toyota Highlander/Kluger (2001-2003)
Toyota Estima / Toyota Previa / Toyota Tarago
Toyota Alphard
Toyota Blade
Scion tC
Scion xB (2008-)

Last edited by Sabretooth; 03-21-2009 at 06:40 AM.
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote