Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-06-2007, 01:24 PM   #1
Sweet Mercury

Drives: 2007 Silver LB Auto!
Induction with an Auto-Trans.

I understand that it is inadvisable to put a turbocharger on a car with automatic transmission. My question is regarding and products which assist in a more effective passive induction. I remember years ago seeing a product that could be put into the intake which supposedly channeled air more effectively and got a little more "umph" out of the engine.

Of course, I can't remember the product's name, but I was hoping maybe you guys might know, or know of something similar?

I'm not a performance freak, but if I can spend a bit of money and get a little more something out of the engine it would be nice.

Or is any of these performance enhancers detrimental/warranty-voiding to my transmission?
Sweet Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:38 PM   #2
staticorex

Drives: Sc'd Yaris Sedan.
The tranny can support FI either turbo or sc. But only so much. If you are thinking of adding significant hp I would upgrade the tranny. I replaced the torque converter and gears as well as had a hydrolic upgrade on the valve body for my Altima to prepare it for turbo. Check out level 10 to see whats out there. I would think these cars can handle 150whp without tranny work but I am not a mech and ZPI of course claims theirs can handle the 179whp.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:09 PM   #3
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Mercury View Post
I understand that it is inadvisable to put a turbocharger on a car with automatic transmission. My question is regarding and products which assist in a more effective passive induction. I remember years ago seeing a product that could be put into the intake which supposedly channeled air more effectively and got a little more "umph" out of the engine.

Of course, I can't remember the product's name, but I was hoping maybe you guys might know, or know of something similar?

I'm not a performance freak, but if I can spend a bit of money and get a little more something out of the engine it would be nice.

Or is any of these performance enhancers detrimental/warranty-voiding to my transmission?

what????

I bought my pt cruiser gt, with automatic and factory turbo, !!!! it ran fine until i bumped up the psi!!!!
Old 09-06-2007, 08:49 PM   #4
Sweet Mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch View Post
what????

I bought my pt cruiser gt, with automatic and factory turbo, !!!! it ran fine until i bumped up the psi!!!!
It's not the turbo itself that's the problem, but the boost in engine output that the transmission might not be designed to handle.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:01 PM   #5
punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Mercury View Post
It's not the turbo itself that's the problem, but the boost in engine output that the transmission might not be designed to handle.

YOU WROTE: "I understand that it is inadvisable to put a turbocharger on a car with automatic transmission"

and I provided proof that even the factories add them, so your wrong.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:37 AM   #6
Sweet Mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch View Post
YOU WROTE: "I understand that it is inadvisable to put a turbocharger on a car with automatic transmission"

and I provided proof that even the factories add them, so your wrong.
I didn't say that automatic cars were never shipped with turbos, I said that throwing one into a car with an automatic not intended to handle the extra/different power levels wasn't recommended. If the Yaris' transmission is built to handle more horsepower than the engine by itself then I suppose one can be thrown in without any problem.

Of course, I don't own a PT Cruiser. I own a Yaris. Does it stand to reason that what worked for the PT would work for the Yaris?
Old 09-08-2007, 12:05 PM   #7
punch

so why would a yaris with standard hold up any better, then an automatic??
Old 09-08-2007, 03:15 PM   #8
staticorex

Drives: Sc'd Yaris Sedan.
Yeah. If a car comes pre-FI it is designed to handle that hp.

But when you take an econbox that is ment for 90whp and drop a 100whp turbo into it the tranny may not be durable enough.

Just as if you boosted extra psi on an already forced inducted auto. Each tranny has its limits.

Unless you know what ours is already, it is advisable to either add small reasonable hp or reinforce the tranny as insurance.

Again, lvl 10 is a co. I have dealt with. Pro torque is another.