Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-25-2010, 12:09 AM   #1
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
What are the best performance mods?

So I'm running out of cosmetic mods that I want to do, and have been debating whether or not I want to spend money to increase the power of my car. I'm definitely getting an aftermarket exhaust, but that's really the only mod I've considered. I've been wondering what gains can be seen with most of the bolt-on mods (exhaust, CAI, pulleys, etc.), and which are the best "bang for the buck?" As much as I love my Yaris, I just don't see much potential for power... however, I would imagine that a gain such as, let's say - 25%, would be pretty sizable since it's a light weight car.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:22 AM   #2
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Search is your friend...

Here are the basics:

I don't think you can achieve 25% increase in power with NA bolt-on mods on the stock ECU. CAI + NST pulleys + DC Sports header + axle back exhaust have been reported to give an extra 12 HP on the dyno.

If you want more power you'll have to go FI (turbo - custom kits, or supercharged - Blitz or custom).

Garm (cali yaris) has been running 20 PSI of boost on the rebuilt engine at 303 HP.

The Blitz kit will get you around 130-140 HP.

From my experience, unless you go custom and build everything yourself, most of the bolt-ons will cost about $100 per 1 extra HP.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:22 AM   #3
H3LlIoN

Drives: '09 Yarrrr hatch
to get a 25% increase in power, you'd have to supercharge. (Our car is just under 100hp as it is.) The most notable increase would be from the lighter pulleys/flywheel, which makes the engine spin up faster. It won't actually increase power really, but it does reduce the spinning weight of the engine. You can do intake, and theirs word around the performance forum concerning cams, but they are not ready to purchase at the moment, and initial cost projections are like $700 for a 10 +- gain.

Special thanks to Cali Yaris, 1NZYaris1 and lilredrocket
H3LlIoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
hahaha...i can get another 75% hp gain for about 500 bux...it's called NOS...but i wouldnt do it on a stock engine any way...

you can safely do a 2 stage 25-35 shot dry kit with an extra injector...and that'll be the cheapest horsepower you'll ever see, too bad you have to continually invest in gas.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmicle View Post
Search is your friend...
+1
I hate to be the "search" guy, but your question has been addressed in literally hundreds of threads. Also, there is very little consensus on the "best" performance mods. Some people swear by weight reduction, others will lean towards better breathing, and then there is forced induction.

You can assist your searching by focusing on what level of performance and $$ you are thinking about, and what purpose you have for the car.
Modifications for a showy street car are very different from someone who wants to track/race the car, or someone who intends to build a "sleeper."

Read-up on some of the threads in this perfomance mod section; you'll learn a ton.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:19 PM   #6
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Haha thanks guys. I know my question just screams that I haven't bothered searching around, but I have. I'm mainly looking for more concrete answers as to the hp gains of most mods, as this is pretty vague in most other threads. Let me be a little more specific with my question as well - what are the best performance mods for a daily driver who has no intention of ever going to a track? I've been under the impression that I'm best off just investing in forced induction. If so, what is the cheapest supercharger? The only two I know of are Blitz and Greddy.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:37 AM   #7
dEE89

Drives: Toyota Yaris
What if you're on your green p's and turboing/supercharging isn't allowed?

all i can think of is liek exhaust, cai

wat else... throw me ideas pplz
dEE89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:32 AM   #8
Damo

Drives: 2011 Yaris 3-Door Hatch white
As much as I love my Yaris, if I wanted HP, I would have been driving a very different car!
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:06 PM   #9
H3LlIoN

Drives: '09 Yarrrr hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LlIoN View Post
to get a 25% increase in power, you'd have to supercharge.

This might not be true anymore...follow the gude head thread.

Special thanks to Cali Yaris, 1NZYaris1 and lilredrocket
H3LlIoN is offline   Reply With Quote