Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #127
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Well the Japanese reply on nuclear energy for a large fraction of their electricity. I think there are only one or two nukes there making electricity now. So it figures manufacturing isnt getting all the power it would like. And what they have they are liekly charging more for.

Not a good situation for them.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #128
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Well the Japanese reply on nuclear energy for a large fraction of their electricity. I think there are only one or two nukes there making electricity now. So it figures manufacturing isnt getting all the power it would like. And what they have they are liekly charging more for.

Not a good situation for them.
No, not a good situation for them. I'd think the very logical scenario you just pointed out would indicate that any significant 'aftermath issues', however tangental from an energy perspective, were probably figured into what they (Toyota executives) called 'skyrocketing energy costs'.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #129
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
In time the Honda Fit is going to be manufactured in Mexico . Probably for same reasons . More $ to be made . You'd think Toyota would do the same as Honda or here in the States . Like at the NUMMI plant in California . Shame they don't .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:42 AM   #130
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
Do any of you have access to test equipment that could do that?

Just an idea, but are drinking the synthetic oil instead of using it in Yaris? This might account for your problems....

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:45 AM   #131
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
The Reuters article that I found (and mentioned ) deep into the 'Yaris production moving to France' thread stated that the two primary reasons are the rising yen and the 'skyrocketing cost of energy'. I wonder if the problems you are referring to have been included in the 'skyrocketing cost of energy' equation that is in the minds of the top Toyota executives.
All of the Japanese car makers are building plants all over the world. When the value of a currency makes building a car somewhere more profitable, they build them there. With worldwide production capability, they can spit our thousands of cars at higher profits. Even if that profit is a hundred dollars, you do the math!

Old 07-23-2012, 06:32 AM   #132
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
Just an idea, but are drinking the synthetic oil instead of using it in Yaris? This might account for your problems....
I know you are trying to come up with an intelligent thought here but its not working....
Old 07-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #133
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
In time the Honda Fit is going to be manufactured in Mexico . Probably for same reasons . More $ to be made . You'd think Toyota would do the same as Honda or here in the States . Like at the NUMMI plant in California . Shame they don't .
While looking for information on another subject I found some Honda fit to Mexico information and posted it on 7-7-12 (see my post #96 on the U.S. Yaris.....France thread and the follw up posts by me, why?, and moderator tk-421 up to post #104). This info didn't include radiation as a reason, but it is certainly more than possible.

BTW, thanks for posting the Prius C YT video from MPG-o-matic.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #134
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Old 07-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #135
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
All of the Japanese car makers are building plants all over the world. When the value of a currency makes building a car somewhere more profitable, they build them there. With worldwide production capability, they can spit our thousands of cars at higher profits. Even if that profit is a hundred dollars, you do the math!
Are you implying a variant on James Carville's famous phrase ('It's the Yen, stupid' instead of "It's the economy, stupid"). If not, you are missing the mark, because that;s how you sound. Hmm...who am I going to think might have the most credible information, you or Reuters. I think I'll go with Reuters, especially when the information in their article makes sense. The Reuters article (Toyota to move Yaris North American production to France) lists the Yen AND soaring energy costs as reasons Toyota made this decision. Later in the article they mention three headwinds that are facing all Japanese auto manufacturers---1. costly labor regulations, 2. high corporate taxes, and 3. a post earthquake energy policy deadlock. If soaring energy costs were ONLY attributable to the value of the Yen, why would they list the energy costs as a separate reason? They wouldn't.

Of course it is a 'you do the math' scenario with the value of the Yen likely being the dominant factor...BUT it is not the ONLY factor.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:24 PM   #136
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
I know you are trying to come up with an intelligent thought here but its not working....
Old 07-23-2012, 10:11 PM   #137
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Are you implying a variant on James Carville's famous phrase ('It's the Yen, stupid' instead of "It's the economy, stupid"). If not, you are missing the mark, because that;s how you sound. Hmm...who am I going to think might have the most credible information, you or Reuters. I think I'll go with Reuters, especially when the information in their article makes sense. The Reuters article (Toyota to move Yaris North American production to France) lists the Yen AND soaring energy costs as reasons Toyota made this decision. Later in the article they mention three headwinds that are facing all Japanese auto manufacturers---1. costly labor regulations, 2. high corporate taxes, and 3. a post earthquake energy policy deadlock. If soaring energy costs were ONLY attributable to the value of the Yen, why would they list the energy costs as a separate reason? They wouldn't.

Of course it is a 'you do the math' scenario with the value of the Yen likely being the dominant factor...BUT it is not the ONLY factor.
I wasn't thinking of only the Yaris, I was using the Japanese market as a whole. They are building factories all over the world that produce the same car. In Indiana, they just built a Honda plant to build the same line as the Canada plant. They also have an Ohio plant.

If you use the Yaris as the model, you would probably be right, but from a macro perspective, they are going to build cars at factories where the profit margins are higher in relation to the value of the yen vs the country's currency.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #138
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
I wasn't thinking of only the Yaris, I was using the Japanese market as a whole. They are building factories all over the world that produce the same car. In Indiana, they just built a Honda plant to build the same line as the Canada plant. They also have an Ohio plant.

If you use the Yaris as the model, you would probably be right, but from a macro perspective, they are going to build cars at factories where the profit margins are higher in relation to the value of the yen vs the country's currency.
Again, the last four of the five issues discussed in the Reuters article aren't directly related to how the Yen is valued paired to any particular other currency. Those four reasons mentioned are significant enough unto themselves to be part of the reasoning/decision making process, and the last three involve the entire Japanese auto industry, not just Toyota. The location of raw materials issue that Yarisworld moderator tk-421 previously brought up and the effect of trade agreements issue that I previously brought up are other considerations re a prospective plant location, and there may be others.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:09 AM   #139
nookandcrannycar

I just came across an article posted to the main Yahoo! Finance page a few hours ago. The article is entitled "Study sees U.S. auto job losses if Japan joins trade pact". One of the most interesting points IMO (and I haven't heard it mentioned elsewhere...and I didn't know this before reading this article...mentioning tarrifs in previous posts was a hunch) is that there is a current 2.5 percent U.S. tariff on Japanese auto imports. The article also discussed currency issues. This seemed to be the most logical thread to post info about this new article to.