Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #1
crazylegs

Drives: 2007 Yaris
cobalt rims will they fit on a 2007 yaris

just picked some chrome 16x6 rims that were going to go on a cobalt, same 4-100 bolt pattern but just curious if anyone might know of other possible fitment issues between the 2 cars when it comes to rims. I'd hate to buy new tires just to find out they need spacers due to sometime i only realize when i drive down the street with them the first time

thanks ahead of time
crazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:09 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I believe stock offset for cobalts is +42, so they should fit fine on the Yaris.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:38 PM   #3
Exiwolfman

You may need hub rings cos our hub bore is 54.1 in order to keep the wheels center and no wheel vibration.
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:01 PM   #4
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
cobalt rims will they fit on a 2007 yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
You may need hub rings cos our hub bore is 54.1 in order to keep the wheels center and no wheel vibration.

Preferable but not necessary. These hub rings are not easy to find. The lugs will Center the wheels perfectly.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:02 PM   #5
crazylegs

thank for the info anywhere online youd recommend grabbing hub rings or is that something every tire shop should have?
Old 08-12-2014, 03:03 PM   #6
crazylegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
Preferable but not necessary. These hub rings are not easy to find. The lugs will Center the wheels perfectly.
good to hear
Old 08-12-2014, 03:10 PM   #7
Exiwolfman

No they will not on a four bolt wheel u need rings on a five bolt yes ...good luck with four

sent from my S4 on Mars
Old 08-12-2014, 03:11 PM   #8
Exiwolfman

Any whhel shop should have them in stock

sent from my S4 on Mars
Old 08-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #9
Exiwolfman

Cobolt is 57.1 so u need 54.1 to 57.1 rings
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DIK...&robot_redir=1

sent from my S4 on Mars

Last edited by Exiwolfman; 08-12-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:05 PM   #10
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
^ I'd try to find plastic ones tho, as you'll have no issues with ring fusing to the wheel. I've had problems with aluminum but never with plastic.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:18 PM   #11
Exiwolfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
^ I'd try to find plastic ones tho, as you'll have no issues with ring fusing to the wheel. I've had problems with aluminum but never with plastic.
Totally agree with u plastis is better or use lots of antysieze grease lol
Old 08-12-2014, 05:09 PM   #12
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
No they will not on a four bolt wheel u need rings on a five bolt yes ...good luck with four

sent from my S4 on Mars
Four or five, the lugs will center the wheel. I have 4X100 Volk TE37 on my Miata (a car that is notoriously sensitive to wheel defects) and although they came with very nicely made aluminum rings, when the lugs are torqued up, the rings just float around loose inside the bore. Took them out because of corrosion issues and never had a problem with the wheels.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:15 PM   #13
Exiwolfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaristeve View Post
Four or five, the lugs will center the wheel. I have 4X100 Volk TE37 on my Miata (a car that is notoriously sensitive to wheel defects) and although they came with very nicely made aluminum rings, when the lugs are torqued up, the rings just float around loose inside the bore. Took them out because of corrosion issues and never had a problem with the wheels.
99% of the time its the other way around and honestly why be cheap on getting some rings for under 20$ and do it right ,also proper fit rings will not move around its a snug fit ...just my 2 cents on that ...do it right other option get wheels specific for the car I had mine ordered with correct hub bore.

sent from my S4 on Mars
Old 08-13-2014, 05:16 PM   #14
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
"99%"? LOL.

I have never heard of anyone having problems with non-hub centric wheels. While going to college, I worked at a high-end Japanese wheel importing company. Never had/heard of issues with non-hub centric wheels. Most of their products were non-hub centric. It makes sense on German cars because for some reason they like (liked?) to use lug bolts instead of studs/nuts. So the hub centricity made it easier to install wheels. Otherwise you can just hang the wheels on the studs.

You think I am "cheaping out"; I think you're wasting money.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:38 PM   #15
Exiwolfman

Well i can say one thing wheels come with proper hub bore for the car from factory , generic hub bore on after market is 73 so if u say that is fine on a 54 bore hub with 4 bolt pattern ...well all the luck with that and if u have worked at a place like that then u would recommend rings , yes five bolt up works on four not so well but do what u like and don't complain when u have vibration at high speeds honestly u are being cheap do it right or don't bother at stay with stock wheels lol

sent from my S4 on Mars
Old 11-03-2021, 08:40 PM   #16
DuluthMNNiceGuy
I've made a post!

Drives: 03 Toyota Echo
I have Mazda3 aluminum mags on the Echo.
DuluthMNNiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 08:59 PM   #17
IndestructibleYaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
How can anyone with mechanical experience think that a plastic piece can be used to support a wheel that hits potholes. LOL. Either you're gonna be in the camp of hubcentric is necessary even though the lugs are coned, and you'll use metal rings, or you won't use any rings at all because if the wheel relied on plastic to stay centered that sh1t would self destruct first pot hole you hit
IndestructibleYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 01:18 PM   #18
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndestructibleYaris View Post
How can anyone with mechanical experience think that a plastic piece can be used to support a wheel that hits potholes. LOL. Either you're gonna be in the camp of hubcentric is necessary even though the lugs are coned, and you'll use metal rings, or you won't use any rings at all because if the wheel relied on plastic to stay centered that sh1t would self destruct first pot hole you hit
not true, or should i say not entirely true, the point at which the centric ring will receive any pressure is ONLY when the lugs are loose, once torqued the rings do exactly nothing, the ring is only there to align everything in the torquing process, after that its decorative

now if we were talking about heavy trucks, then yes, the center bore is actualy load bearing to some extent but again it doesnt truely come into play unless things are loose at which point your in for a disaster anyway

i should mention the other exception..and that is badly manufactured wheels, will often need them as the nuts dont lock the wheel down very well, working in the tire/wheel industry i only came across this a few times

something to keep in mind is that most cars prior to the 80s were 100% lug centric only, no hub contact to keep anything in place, often times the center of the wheel wasnt even round, if a car uses accorn nuts and the wheel accepts them the hub in the center is typically trivial, unless the studs are too weak to support the load...which is rarely the case
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote