Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-07-2019, 05:38 PM   #1
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
2013 Golf SportWagen...Considering

Hey Folks.

Since we've been thinking about downsizing from our van, we were out browsing car lots. We stumbled on this 2013 Golf Sportwagen. I have rarely seen a used car of this vintage in such pristene condition. The car has 31000 km on it. I negotiated down to ~$10900.00 plus tax of course. It is what I'd call a base model but it has a lot of features including power everything, heated seats etc. Oddly, it has bluetooth music streaming but not hands-free calling, though a module is available. The car has brand new tires. I checked all the fluids and they are all perfectly clear and fresh. The interior is about the same, apparently owned my a 50 year old bachelor, so I don't think the back seat was even used.

I got the car for the weekend with a $500.00 refundable deposit. Although I'm not really thrilled with the overall look of the car (exterior) it has absolutely perfect paint. I literally went over every square inch and could not find so much as even a paint chip. 100% straight body, zero door dings.

I have never owned a VW of any kind. I have been doing some research and the 5 cylinder 2.5L seems like a good engine, if not having a strange oil filter change procedure.

If anyone has any experiences with this car or similar 2.5 6-speed auto VW product, I'd love to hear about them. On to the pics...

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 12-08-2019 at 03:12 PM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:59 PM   #2
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
VWs are nice looking cars and they drive great, however they often turn into maintenance nightmares in my experience. Prior to my 2014 Yaris I owned a 2010 Golf. It is why I now own the Yaris. Several strandings, constant fights with the dealership, just an unreliable car. After that experience I specifically searched for a reliable vehicle and that's what lead me to the Yaris. (BTW thank you to Yarisworld for helping in that decision.)

At the time I owned the Golf there were about 6 other guys at work who also owned VWs. None of us now do. Take that for what it's worth. As for myself I will never own another VW. I learned my lesson.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:39 PM   #3
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
VWs are nice looking cars and they drive great, however they often turn into maintenance nightmares in my experience. Prior to my 2014 Yaris I owned a 2010 Golf. It is why I now own the Yaris. Several strandings, constant fights with the dealership, just an unreliable car. After that experience I specifically searched for a reliable vehicle and that's what lead me to the Yaris. (BTW thank you to Yarisworld for helping in that decision.)

At the time I owned the Golf there were about 6 other guys at work who also owned VWs. None of us now do. Take that for what it's worth. As for myself I will never own another VW. I learned my lesson.
Ahhh, that doesn't sound good at all. Did yours have the 2.5 5-cylinder and 6-speed auto? Regardless, could you please elaborate a bit on the types of issues you had? I do appreciate the input. Thanks for that.

One customer satisfaction site I was on gave the car a 4.8/5.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 12-08-2019, 12:06 AM   #4
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Mine was the TDI (diesel) model with the DSG 6 speed. You can read my story here:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=416471

The diesels in general had a lot of problems, but I had general non diesel related issues with mine as well.

It is my understanding that the 2.5 gas engine is more reliable, but that is just based on what I have read, I have no direct experience with one. I would check Consumer Reports for their reliability rating for that model. It seems everyone hates CR but I have found their historical ownership data pretty accurate. It's their new car ratings that are more questionable.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:56 AM   #5
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
Ditto what NYC-SE said. My experience with VW wasn't positive, at all. More like nightmarish. I also owned a VW Golf. Easily the most unreliable vehicle I've ever owned. I bought a low mileage Golf, but that didn't matter one iota. Literally in the shop every two months with everything under the sun going wrong. In my experience, VWs suck, it's hard to find competent mechanics that'll work on them, and the parts are expensive as hell. As the owner of Superior Imports (where I took my VW Golf when I had it and who has been working on VWs for decades) told me, modern VWs are fine as long as you have a warranty. 06YarisRS, I wouldn't touch a used VW Golf with a 10 foot pole. But then again, you and your family might love it and it might be the greatest car you've ever had. Highly doubtful, though. I definitely would pass on this car. I've owned my Yaris 9 years this month. After the stellar out-of-this-world reliability experience with my Yaris, I'll never buy another VW.
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:08 AM   #6
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjazz View Post
Ditto what NYC-SE said. My experience with VW wasn't positive, at all. More like nightmarish. I also owned a VW Golf. Easily the most unreliable vehicle I've ever owned. I bought a low mileage Golf, but that didn't matter one iota. Literally in the shop every two months with everything under the sun going wrong. In my experience, VWs suck, it's hard to find competent mechanics that'll work on them, and the parts are expensive as hell. As the owner of Superior Imports (where I took my VW Golf when I had it and who has been working on VWs for decades) told me, modern VWs are fine as long as you have a warranty. 06YarisRS, I wouldn't touch a used VW Golf with a 10 foot pole. But then again, you and your family might love it and it might be the greatest car you've ever had. Highly doubtful, though. I definitely would pass on this car. I've owned my Yaris 9 years this month. After the stellar out-of-this-world reliability experience with my Yaris, I'll never buy another VW.
Thanks bentjazz. Again, not very encouraging.

Old 12-08-2019, 09:46 AM   #7
06YarisRS

Some Basic Parts Pricing

Figured I'd do some preliminary general parts pricing in the event that we do go with the car. I read a lot about the 2.5 5-cylinder and the consensus seems to be that most of the bugs - which were few - we're ironed out well before the 2013 mode year. One had to do with the timing chain. I'll add more parts as I go...

Anyway, on to basic parts. Prices are from Rockauto (unless otherwise specified) as I normally order my parts from there. As a reference, I used my 2008 Yaris as a comparison. In the case that there is only one price listed, it's because only one part was available through rockauto. All prices are Canadian dollars unless otherwise specified. The prices below are not necessarily the least expensive as I didn't search many sources. I expect that if I went for OEM parts there might be a large disparity between the VW and Toyota. That said, I priced an OEM speed sensor for the Yaris U340e and they wanted $500.00 CAD!

Alternator (with core charge):

Golf: $217.00 - $276.00 Yaris: $164.00 - $262.00

Brake Caliper (with core charge)

Golf: $96.00 Yaris: $76.00 - $205.00

Brake Rotor (eBay Centric rotor for Golf):

Golf: $41.00 (USD) + Yaris: $17.00 - $95.00+

Brake Pads:

Golf: $20 - $43.00+ Yaris: $14.00 - $95.00+

Water Pump:

Golf: $74.00 - $83.00 Yaris: $26.00 - $49.00

MAF/MAP Sensor:

Golf: $59.00 Yaris: $50.00 - $144.00

Half Shaft/Axle:

Golf: $58.00 - $137.00 Yaris: $50.00 - $78.00

Wheel Bearing:

Golf: $196.00 (Napa in CAD) Yaris: $62.00 - $219.00

VVTi Solenoid:

Golf: $66.00 - $141.00 Yaris: $24.00 - $79.00

Timing Chain:

Golf: $46.00 Yaris: $23.00 - $37.00

Ignition Coil:

Golf: $22.00 - $30.00 Yaris: $23.00 - $71.00

A/C Compressor:

Golf: $424.00 Yaris: $348 - $437.00

Starter:

Golf: $169.00 - $258.00 (with core charge) Yaris: $126.00 - $215.00 (with core charge)

Evap Purge Valve:

Golf: $25.00 Yaris: $52.00 - $83.00

Transmission Filter:

Golf: $44.00 Yaris: $9.00 - $21.00

Additional Research (All OEM Parts):

Brake Rotors:

Golf: $52.25 Yaris: $72.57

Sway Bar End Link:

Golf: $91.00 Yaris: $84.00

Front Strut:

Golf: $170.00 Yaris: $143.00

CV Axle:

Golf: $402.00 Yaris: $509.00

Wheel Hub and Bearing:

Golf: $239.00 Yaris: $274.00

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 12-08-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:28 PM   #8
bentjazz

I hope it works out for you, 06YarisRS. It really is a very attractive station wagon, and it has been a good number of years since I owned my Golf. So, hopefully quality has gone up since then. I can see why you're smitten with it. I wish you the best.
Old 12-08-2019, 03:10 PM   #9
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
Mine was the TDI (diesel) model with the DSG 6 speed. You can read my story here:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=416471

The diesels in general had a lot of problems, but I had general non diesel related issues with mine as well.

It is my understanding that the 2.5 gas engine is more reliable, but that is just based on what I have read, I have no direct experience with one. I would check Consumer Reports for their reliability rating for that model. It seems everyone hates CR but I have found their historical ownership data pretty accurate. It's their new car ratings that are more questionable.
Thanks! I had a read of your post as well as many of the responses. Sounds definitely like the diesel variant did have quite a few issues. I may fork over whatever $ CR wants to view their report. Almost everything else I've read about the 2.5/6-speed has been positive. But, yeah, I'd be pretty disappointed if I had window regulator problems, electrical problems, noises and other reliability issues, for sure.

Old 12-09-2019, 09:45 AM   #10
bentjazz

Just curious, did you make a decision over the weekend, 06YarisRS?
Old 12-09-2019, 12:17 PM   #11
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
The maintenance will be huge compared to your toyotas. I've had 2 vws and my buddy is still into them. Always something to fix

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:36 PM   #12
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
How often will you be driving it? What kind of mileage do you expect to put on it in a year?
Old 12-09-2019, 02:25 PM   #13
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Expect a plethora of electrical problems, broken switches, deteriorating and broken trim, fuel delivery issues... and outrageous parts and maintenance costs that will never end.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:21 PM   #14
3rdSEman

Drives: Black 2012 SE manual
Don't 06 please don't !!!!!
3rdSEman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:04 PM   #15
06YarisRS

Hey Gents.

No decision made yet. Also considering checking out a couple suvs. The Golf has the perfect amount of room for our needs and the driving characteristics are bang on. It is one of the silkiest shifting (almost imperceptible both driving and stationary shifting) cars I've driven, it's quiet and planted. Fit and finish inside and out is top knotch. The whole cabin speaks quality. I found info on reliability issues with the former Jetta Sportwagen, that apparently the updated Golf does not share.

Anyway, should we ultimately go ahead with the purchase - against better advice here - I am pre-approving "I told ya so's"

I forgot to add that my brother-in-law, who I would never term a 'car guy', has owned VWs (currently a '12 Jetta) over the past couple decades and he swears by them. His son has also owned a Golf and now a Passat. He too has had good experiences.

Old 12-09-2019, 11:22 PM   #16
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post

I forgot to add that my brother-in-law, who I would never term a 'car guy'...
That's why I wouldn't believe him! Hahaha

All jokes aside, if you do pull the trigger, I hope it treats you well.

Check what kind of oil it takes. My friends old vr6 required some $70/jug oil to keep the timing chain guides from burning up. But I know other recent vw engines take regular dino juice. Something to be aware of.

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:06 AM   #17
nortonfb

Drives: 2007
Have you asked your BIL & nephew what their maintenance costs were?
That maybe a good indicator.
nortonfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:51 AM   #18
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
That's why I wouldn't believe him! Hahaha

All jokes aside, if you do pull the trigger, I hope it treats you well.

Check what kind of oil it takes. My friends old vr6 required some $70/jug oil to keep the timing chain guides from burning up. But I know other recent vw engines take regular dino juice. Something to be aware of.
Thanks.

I think it requires VW502 and if so, that's great, as I have a huge stash of Supertech Full syn that's minimally 502, 505 approved. So no special requirements here.