Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-06-2007, 12:17 PM   #1
Canadian
I've made a post!

Drives: yaris
car shaking after servicing

My friend has a 2000 Yaris and it was running perfectly when she took it in for servicing. The service center was a Toyota service center that has excellent work in the past. They said that they replaced a steering wheel belt. When my friend drove the car the next day, the car was shaking violently, She drove for 20 km and then had to call the service shop to get the car. They said that there was nothing wrong with the car but when she drove it it continued to shake. She called the service center again and they came out but this time when the service mechanic drove with her, the car stopped shaking and has not been shaking since then. This happened yesterday and my friend is afraid to drive her car. Does anyone have any idea what may have happened?
Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:54 PM   #2
Nibs

Drives: 07 Yaris HB black
2000 yaris?
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:06 PM   #3
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibs View Post
2000 yaris?
Yes he is referring to the first gen Yaris that wasn't sold in the U.S. At least the hatchback. The later hatch models first gen were sold in Canada for two years as the ECHO hatch now replaced by the current Yaris.

I don't what to say. It could be a bent rim or mis-alienment but if the shaking stops I don't what it is. Be pursistant. Is the skaking when you speed up or slow down or when ever the car moves? What service did they perform? Routine maintance?
Old 09-07-2007, 09:23 AM   #4
Nibs

Drives: 07 Yaris HB black
didn't see the Istanbul part :)
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:41 AM   #5
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Ghost in the system..find a great priest to bless the vehicle

Truly odd situation. Check for mud buildup inside the wheels?
YarisTom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:19 AM   #6
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECHOKnight2000 View Post

I don't what to say. It could be a bent rim or mis-alienment but if the shaking stops I don't what it is. Be pursistant. Is the skaking when you speed up or slow down or when ever the car moves? What service did they perform? Routine maintance?
i agree, shaking, vibrations or shimmies tend to be associated with un-balanced wheels and mis-alignments. but these things dont mysteriously go away, so i have no idea what may have caused her "temporary" shaking...

--B
Old 09-26-2007, 08:52 AM   #7
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Did you see if your lugnuts are tightend properly?
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:53 AM   #8
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Steering wheel belt? Does the 2000 Yaris use hydraulic power steering instead of electrical?

Regardless, the things that have been mentioned are what should be looked at. Changing a belt, or even a failed p/s pump, will not cause that kind of shimmying/shaking. Only something from the axle outward can do that.

The lug nuts are the first thing I would check, especially since the problem seems to have corrected itself (this points to it being an easily serviceable part... it's not like a warped axle straightens itself back out). It's easy to miss tightening one nut if you're in a hurry and even if they hit all of them there's the chance that one or more wheels didn't seat to the hub properly at installation time.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:43 PM   #9
worlocksmith

Drives: 2008 yaris
It's not the lug nuts, they make a knocking sound. Odds are a mechanic left a tool in the engine bay and it got caught on a tie rod, or it could have been stuck to a pulley, but then it shook free prior to the mechanic riding with her.
worlocksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:38 PM   #10
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
May sound odd, but check the spark plug sequence and make sure they are on the right plug. One trick the dealers will do is purposely switch two plugs so that you bring it back for more unwanted work. This exact senario will cause your car to shake like hell.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:38 PM   #11
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian View Post
My friend has a 2000 Yaris and it was running perfectly when she took it in for servicing. The service center was a Toyota service center that has excellent work in the past. They said that they replaced a steering wheel belt. When my friend drove the car the next day, the car was shaking violently, She drove for 20 km and then had to call the service shop to get the car. They said that there was nothing wrong with the car but when she drove it it continued to shake. She called the service center again and they came out but this time when the service mechanic drove with her, the car stopped shaking and has not been shaking since then. This happened yesterday and my friend is afraid to drive her car. Does anyone have any idea what may have happened?
sounds like a bad CV axle ;)
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:40 PM   #12
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
That's a bitch getting the bearings pressed, lol, but the good thing if it is the CV, you're parts will be cheap since they are ready available.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote