Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-14-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Out of touch... please help me design a simple system

I have never cared much for the stock stereo system and as luck would have it mine just stopped playing CDs. The timing is perfect as I just passed the warranty period for it. heh

I haven't looked into car audio in more than a decade so I am completely out of touch with the scene. I don't need anything elaborate... no subwoofer, no amp, no GPS, etc. but I would love a double din that can play MP3, videos, etc. and a new set of speakers to accompany it. I also want to keep the power requirements low (~ 250W) so as not to impact fuel economy by placing a large load on the electrical system. I have been reading through this forum for a while, trying to get a sense of things, but it is difficult as the technology moves so fast and so much of this stuff is more opinion than fact. As such I would appreciate some direct advice.

Price is a factor as this venture will require my wife's approval but I can do the installation myself and can spend about $500. I am not set on buying anything from eBay but that's where I found good links at, so that's what I'll post here. I am totally open to suggestions:

Head unit: EONON 1091 7"LCD MONITOR IN DASH DVD TV PLAYER I like this one not only for the price but because it plays AVI files which is not a seemingly common thing. I have a ton of movies and music videos in this format. I know that Eonon is not a high end manufacturer but I'm not a high end kind of guy.

Speakers: JL AUDIO TR650-CXI 6 1/2" COAXIAL SPEAKERS 6.5 TR650CXI or KENWOOD 6.5" 3-WAY CAR STEREO SPEAKER SYSTEM. Their power ratings match the head unit nicely, and I am thinking of going with 6.5" in both the front and rear. I like that the Kenwoods are 3-way, too.

I know I will also need a double din dash kit (I'll get it from the sticky), a wiring harness (I'll get it from the sticky) and spacers for the speakers, but I have no idea if additional mounting equipment will be needed (especially with going from the stock 5.5" speakers in the rear to 6.5").

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quick tip, you can buy from Crutchfield, and they'll give you a wire harness and mounting kit for free.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
Kaotic Lazagna

And that HU is actually a high power one, 4x60w. I didn't look at everything, but are you sure that doesn't need an external amp?

My JVC single DIN (plays MP3, CD, etc) was only 30 bucks at Crutchfield. I think it's 4x52w only, and it's good enough. I haven't even upgraded my speakers yet.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:10 PM   #4
Kaotic Lazagna

Also, beware of the cheaper brands. Two of my friends bought cheap(er) DVD double DIN HU's, and both pretty much crapped out on them rather quickly.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:16 PM   #5
Kaotic Lazagna

Another "lower end" DVD HU (no guarantees tho, but it does use less power than the one you found): http://dealnews.com/Boss-Audio-CD-DV...ng/289375.html

Pioneer HU, doesn't play DVD's, but it does play mpeg4 files: http://dealnews.com/Pioneer-5-8-88-W...d-/290106.html

Don't see anything wrong with the speakers you found, but you may be able to find something equivalent, if not better, for a lower price. I'd also recommend going to Best Buy (or some other audio shop), and listen to some speaker they have on display. Paper specs don't mean much if the speakers won't sound good to you.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
On a budget this is the best combo you could do....

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_023GTC6...52.html?tp=106

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2068KS6...690.html?tp=91

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020D285...B.html?tp=5684

With this setup you have decent component speaks and coaxials in the back. The total budget price comes to 244 for everything. And if you buy them now all 3 items are on sale. Plus not to mention you get a extra 10 percent off if you buy this week. Not to mention it comes with all adaptors that you need. So you really are saving a lot more. For under 250 you can not beat that. Some poeple may look at what items i posted and start to bash me but keep in mind the price. Yes you could spenda few hundred more and have something that sounds even better. But you are comparing to the stock speakers. Which are total crap.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:46 AM   #7
Kaotic Lazagna

Any updates?
Old 04-22-2009, 05:49 AM   #8
FunctionSpec
Super Newbie

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback White
Smaller screen but fits your price range and its a name brand.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001PA974Y/...0&linkCode=asn

I would stick with the JL Audio speakers for clean sound. You won't notice a difference in sound between 2-way and 3-way.
FunctionSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:02 AM   #9
custom Lftback

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to custom Lftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunctionSpec View Post
Smaller screen but fits your price range and its a name brand.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001PA974Y/...0&linkCode=asn
agreed, it looks great and works amazing!! and it does play dvd's

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16371
custom Lftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:07 AM   #10
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
spend $130-200 on a some 6.5" component speakers.
spend $20 on some 16awg wire and connectors.
spend the rest on your deck.

install them all yourself.

There are many companies to look at for the component speakers.. here are a few that would work great off the top of my head.

JL (650 csi) <-prolly my 2nd pick
CDT (anything will be fine
Infinity (refrence or kappa)
RE Audio (re6.5) <- prolly my first pick in the under $200

the deck really doesn't matter that much other than for comfort and navigatory feel... saying that... i own a deck thats worth about 1,500.... hehehe

it's a shame you're not willing to install a small amp for your speakers... you'd see a great increase in bass extension... but I can respect your wishes and not harass you about it.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:11 PM   #11
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
I just upgraded the head-unit to a 26x4 RMS/50x4 Peak Blaupunkt (The SD48 model actually). The stock speakers are capable of more than you'd think.

Soundproofing makes far more of a difference for the same cost in ALL response, including low-end, than just shoving more volume and amps at the problem. Lower the noise you don't want to hear before you start trying to crank the sound you do want, and you'll need a lot less volume to have it sound as good or better.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:27 PM   #12
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post

There are many companies to look at for the component speakers.. here are a few that would work great off the top of my head.

the deck really doesn't matter that much other than for comfort and navigatory feel... saying that... i own a deck thats worth about 1,500.... hehehe

it's a shame you're not willing to install a small amp for your speakers... you'd see a great increase in bass extension... but I can respect your wishes and not harass you about it.
So in your opinion someone like me.... who has upgraded thier speakers but has the factory intergrated dash. Is looking at about atleast 300 to purchase the bezel to make a aftermarket deck fit plus cost of the kit and deck. VS maybe 200 to install a nice amp to the factory deck.

I am better off just getting a amp to power my speakers to get more midrange and bass that i am looking for.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:09 PM   #13
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWings View Post
I just upgraded the head-unit to a 26x4 RMS/50x4 Peak Blaupunkt (The SD48 model actually). The stock speakers are capable of more than you'd think.

Soundproofing makes far more of a difference for the same cost in ALL response, including low-end, than just shoving more volume and amps at the problem. Lower the noise you don't want to hear before you start trying to crank the sound you do want, and you'll need a lot less volume to have it sound as good or better.

The OP does not really care about bass and does not really crank up the volume (like me, hehe). Simple speakers w/o soundproofing mats will suffice. Plus, an amp will draw more power, which he does not want to do.