Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-03-2016, 02:44 AM   #1
Nahid

Drives: Toyota Vitz
Should I follow recommended tyre pressure?

My car is Toyota Vitz (Yaris for Japanese market). It has stock tyres which is 165/70R14 81S. The recommend tyre pressure according to door sticker is Front: 250 Rear: 240. As our local tyre shops inflate tyre at PSI gauge so I collected user manual of this car and found that the recommendation in PSI is Front: 36 Rear: 35. But when I went to the local tyre shop to inflate the tyres and asked to inflate as per car recommendation the attendant said higher PSI in front tyres will make the car jump. So he inflated Front: 32 Rear: 35.

Same goes to the spare tyre. Its size is T125/70D16 95M and recommended is 60 PSI but the attendant put 40 PSI.

So should I hear that local tyre shop or do as recommendation?

*a supplementary question: My main tyres size is R14 but spare tyre is D16. This spare tyre was not included with the car, it was kind of a gift from the seller. On the manual I saw that the spare tyre size for this car is D15. So should I change the spare immediately?
Nahid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:18 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I would keep the pressure according to Toyota.

No understanding of the spare tire problem...
Old 04-03-2016, 04:44 PM   #3
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
On these cars, that factory recommendation is about right for most people's driving to get the best tire wear. You won't see any "jumping" from running those pressures.

Spare tire should be set to it's maximum pressure. Spare tire outside diameter should be the same as the tires you have on the car now. That's all that matters.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:59 PM   #4
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
On these cars, that factory recommendation is about right for most people's driving to get the best tire wear. You won't see any "jumping" from running those pressures.

Spare tire should be set to it's maximum pressure. Spare tire outside diameter should be the same as the tires you have on the car now. That's all that matters.
A space saver spare is sometimes smaller than stock. They should also never be put on the front.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 05:20 AM   #5
rabbito

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris Sedan (Vios)
dude its a front wheel drive...front wheel tire pressure should be higher 😂😂😂😂

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk
Electric: Volt Stablizer & Multi gauge obd2
Cosmetic: Toyota red emblem
rabbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:36 AM   #6
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
A space saver spare is sometimes smaller than stock. They should also never be put on the front.
Will it destroy the differential?
Old 05-23-2016, 04:21 AM   #7
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Will it destroy the differential?
No, it's more of a safety issue. The walls on spare tires are really thin. If you are ever in a position to make quick turns to dodge something, the spare tire is likely to pull off the rim or will just blow. Also, you want most of your car control in the steering. Having that flimsy tire up front is just not a good idea.

also, you will notice the tread patter on the spare tire doesnt have much on the shoulder of the tire. Not good for turning. Spare tire will last longer if you just put it in the rear.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:51 AM   #8
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
No, it's more of a safety issue. The walls on spare tires are really thin. If you are ever in a position to make quick turns to dodge something, the spare tire is likely to pull off the rim or will just blow. Also, you want most of your car control in the steering. Having that flimsy tire up front is just not a good idea.

also, you will notice the tread patter on the spare tire doesnt have much on the shoulder of the tire. Not good for turning. Spare tire will last longer if you just put it in the rear.
OMG the tire will never pull off the rim or blow up from a quick turn. The only reason you want it on the rear is because of reduced traction for steering and braking. It wouldn't pass DOT safety as a passenger tire if it blew up because you turned too quick.

There's a vid on utube of Chris Harris drifting a AMG Mercedes with 4 of them on.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:11 AM   #9
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
LOL, calm it down. You got to put the fear of god in people for them to listen
Old 05-24-2016, 04:13 AM   #10
rabbito

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris Sedan (Vios)
we got Gran Turismo player in this forum..lol 😂😂😂😂

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk
Electric: Volt Stablizer & Multi gauge obd2
Cosmetic: Toyota red emblem