Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > UK
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
Yazgool
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris 1.0 12V T3
MPG to L/km is it possible to change?

Hi, I just bought Yaris T3 2006 and I'm wonder is it possible to change fuel consumption displaying from MPG to L/km At the moment it is displaying in mpg but petrol station selling fuel in litres, so its a bit confusing/complicated. So if anyone knows how to switch from mpg to L/km I will be very appreciate.
Yazgool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Yaris built in Europe allow a change between miles/Gal, Imp Miles/Gal and KM/L via the Toyota intelligent tester.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
tsourorf

Drives: 2008 Yaris 1.3 (Greek version)
A month or two ago, I have read somewhere in here that one can change the Km to miles and vise versa, using the odometer button. I verified that by reading the Yaris manual and was sure it is easy as that.
Stupid me, I didn't verify that before leaving Greece three weeks ago, when I started my trip to the UK. I now am in the UK and the way to change Km to miles as is defined in both the English and the Greek version of the manual, doesn't work!
I contacted Toyota in Greece to ask them about this and they told me that it might be something that needs the Tester to be done. So, why would they include such instruction in the manual if the car cannot do it?
Is this some kind of function that needs to be enabled? I don't want to go to a dealer every time I cross the UK borders. Is there anything I can do to resolve this?
tsourorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsourorf View Post
A month or two ago, I have read somewhere in here that one can change the Km to miles and vise versa, using the odometer button. I verified that by reading the Yaris manual and was sure it is easy as that.
Stupid me, I didn't verify that before leaving Greece three weeks ago, when I started my trip to the UK. I now am in the UK and the way to change Km to miles as is defined in both the English and the Greek version of the manual, doesn't work!
I contacted Toyota in Greece to ask them about this and they told me that it might be something that needs the Tester to be done. So, why would they include such instruction in the manual if the car cannot do it?
Is this some kind of function that needs to be enabled? I don't want to go to a dealer every time I cross the UK borders. Is there anything I can do to resolve this?
Only certain instrument clusters support the mode switching via the odo switch. The ones that do not can not be changed, even with the Toyota tester.

I developed a device that installs inline with the speed signal input to the cluster that allows one to switch back and forth between km and Miles (to allow people in the US to use Canadian clusters, which have the tachometer). The device makes the speedometer show in MPH as well as makes the odometer increment in miles. The device has a switch to easily change back and forth between the two modes.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
tsourorf

Thanks for the info CTScott.
I went to a local Toyota dealer and they told me it's not supported. Could you tell me how I can actually verify that by myself?
Could you explain the way you used to create that 'add-on'? I trust it's not that big a deal if one opens the cluster, is it?
Since the manual is saying explicitly that this switching from Kph to Mph is done using the odometer button, couldn't I ask for that functionality to be added on my vehicle by Toyota? And, of course, I mean that to be free of charge since it is functionality they say the vehicle supports.

The cluster itself supports all this info... I mean that if you look closely at the panel in a bright day, you'll see that all the 'mpg', 'Mph' etc are there. I guess it's a circuit thing that actually doesn't support it or a firmware for the chip that shows the speed and the rest on the digital display.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thanks for the info CTScott.
I went to a local Toyota dealer and they told me it's not supported. Could you tell me how I can actually verify that by myself?
Could you explain the way you used to create that 'add-on'? I trust it's not that big a deal if one opens the cluster, is it?
Since the manual is saying explicitly that this switching from Kph to Mph is done using the odometer button, couldn't I ask for that functionality to be added on my vehicle by Toyota? And, of course, I mean that to be free of charge since it is functionality they say the vehicle supports.

The cluster itself supports all this info... I mean that if you look closely at the panel in a bright day, you'll see that all the 'mpg', 'Mph' etc are there. I guess it's a circuit thing that actually doesn't support it or a firmware for the chip that shows the speed and the rest on the digital display.
They all use the same displays, so it appears that they all support the different modes, but unfortunately from my experimentation they are not all programmed to do so. If you can give me the Toyota part number from your cluster (5 digits - 5 digits) I can look up which one is in your car and can tell you if there is any way to switch its mode.

The device that I created intercepts the speed sensor signal from the transmission to the cluster and modifies it to make the cluster read in the opposite units (it works in either direction with change of a jumper). With my device, the text next to the odometer digits would still say km, but the numbers would actually increment in miles (or vice versa). The speedometer would also work the same way.

Here is a video of it in action switching a kmh cluster into MPH:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkUOgEvTYAY
Old 07-28-2013, 06:34 AM   #7
tsourorf

Quote:
They all use the same displays, so it appears that they all support the different modes, but unfortunately from my experimentation they are not all programmed to do so. If you can give me the Toyota part number from your cluster (5 digits - 5 digits) I can look up which one is in your car and can tell you if there is any way to switch its mode.
That's awesome CTScott! Thank you very much! I'll look for the part number as soon as possible and will post it here. If my part is not programmed to switch modes, is it possible to tell me the number of the respective part that would be programmed to do so? I would be really thankful for that!

Really descriptive video! I trust it wasn't you that was capturing it but thanks to youtube, it was stabilized :)
Although it seems to be working great, I can't do something like that. I need to register the car in the UK in a few months and I need the speedometer to show the speed in Mph like a normal (Factory installed) function. So, however intriguing it might be, I can't do the same.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #8
tsourorf

I'm sorry for the long delay but I had a few urgent matters that needed my complete attention the last few days. I now have all the numbers that were on that cluster.

66* 83800-0D660-D
66* MB457300-3176
(Barcode) 3247
(Barcode) 627

*There is one '66' that is big enough to cover both lines

I hope this is useful... Unfortunately, I didn't have any cameras around when I got some time to get the cluster out, so, this is the best representation I can provide.

When you check codes like these, do you use any 'internal' databases, or is it a database that is open for the public to access? In case of the latter, is it possible to share a link or something? It might make my life easier in other stuff I have in my ToDo list... :D

Thank you in advance for your time!!!

Last edited by tsourorf; 08-06-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I'm sorry for the long delay but I had a few urgent matters that needed my complete attention the last few days. I now have all the numbers that were on that cluster.

66* 83800-0D660-D
66* MB457300-3176
(Barcode) 3247
(Barcode) 627

*There is one '66' that is big enough to cover both lines

I hope this is useful... Unfortunately, I didn't have any cameras around when I got some time to get the cluster out, so, this is the best representation I can provide.

When you check codes like these, do you use any 'internal' databases, or is it a database that is open for the public to access? In case of the latter, is it possible to share a link or something? It might make my life easier in other stuff I have in my ToDo list... :D

Thank you in advance for your time!!!
83800-0D660-D is the Toyota part number, and that cluster is a digital one, which is km only.

My lookup is via the European Toyota electronic parts catalog, which is not an online system.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:57 AM   #10
tsourorf

Yes, it is digital! But, I cannot accept that it can only show Km! If you see the screen of the cluster really closely, you can see that everything is supported. Everything is there! MPG, Km/h, Miles, Mph... everything! The problem is how to make them light up! I am sure it's a matter of programming the circuit, but I don't know how to do that!

The frustrating thing is that when I bought the car, I was given two manual books. One written in Greek and one written in English. Both of them clearly state that the cluster can show both Km and Miles using the Odometer button. Specifically, by pressing the button for more than 1 Second while having the headlights off.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Yes, it is digital! But, I cannot accept that it can only show Km! If you see the screen of the cluster really closely, you can see that everything is supported. Everything is there! MPG, Km/h, Miles, Mph... everything! The problem is how to make them light up! I am sure it's a matter of programming the circuit, but I don't know how to do that!

The frustrating thing is that when I bought the car, I was given two manual books. One written in Greek and one written in English. Both of them clearly state that the cluster can show both Km and Miles using the Odometer button. Specifically, by pressing the button for more than 1 Second while having the headlights off.
All of the digital clusters share the same hardware, where they have the km and mile text. The problem is the firmware in the cluster's microcontroller, which for some support both modes and for others, just the km mode. It is definitely ridiculous to have the hardware there and not provide a method of using it.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #12
tsourorf

So, my guess is probably right then... If they just update my cluster's firmware, I'll be able to have both Kilometers and miles. Do you happen to have any knowledge on this? Do you know any codes that I can ask for at a Toyota dealer or anything like that?

I really appreciate your help! All the dealers have been trying to do is get rid of me for asking for something that I should have in the first place.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
So, my guess is probably right then... If they just update my cluster's firmware, I'll be able to have both Kilometers and miles. Do you happen to have any knowledge on this? Do you know any codes that I can ask for at a Toyota dealer or anything like that?

I really appreciate your help! All the dealers have been trying to do is get rid of me for asking for something that I should have in the first place.
There is no dealer installable firmware update. I have a LHD digital cluster that I purchased from Europe (83800-0d500), which I have done quite a bit of experimentation with and have not been able to switch it.

My bet is that only the RHD digital clusters support switching modes, since when used in the UK they would need to be in miles.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #14
tsourorf

That's really disappointing!!!

Yet, this leads me to the following questions:
1) Is it possible to get the circuit from a RHD digital cluster and fit it in a LHD digital cluster to have the functionality?
2) Is there any other cluster that provides both Kilometers as well as Miles? I really love my digital one, but I would compromise with an analog if I had to I guess. If there is one that I could use, could you give me the serial code for that please?

Once again, I am really thankful!
Old 08-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
That's really disappointing!!!

Yet, this leads me to the following questions:
1) Is it possible to get the circuit from a RHD digital cluster and fit it in a LHD digital cluster to have the functionality?
2) Is there any other cluster that provides both Kilometers as well as Miles? I really love my digital one, but I would compromise with an analog if I had to I guess. If there is one that I could use, could you give me the serial code for that please?

Once again, I am really thankful!
1 - Very possibly. There is a piggyback core board in the cluster, and you may be able swap one from a RHD to your LHD cluster to enable the feature. The mileage is stored on that core board, so like swapping clusters completely, you would then show the mileage of the car that the core came out of (but that is reprogrammable, not by the dealer, but by people like me).

2. The analog ones have the speedometer with two sets of numbers, so you can view it in mph or kmh by looking at the inner or outer ring of numbers. The odometer is not switchable though, so a cluster intended for primary use in a miles country will have a miles odo and vise-versa.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #16
tsourorf

As you might have guessed, I liked the 'Very possibly' answer to the first case! Do you have any more information on that? As it seems, I cannot avoid having the odometer changed, but this is reprogrammable as you said.

I am a software engineer and have been thinking for a while now to buy one of the OBDII programming thingies. If this is a way to reprogram the odometer, I should probably speed things up!
Old 08-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #17
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
As you might have guessed, I liked the 'Very possibly' answer to the first case! Do you have any more information on that? As it seems, I cannot avoid having the odometer changed, but this is reprogrammable as you said.

I am a software engineer and have been thinking for a while now to buy one of the OBDII programming thingies. If this is a way to reprogram the odometer, I should probably speed things up!
I am actually going to order a UK RHD one to experiment with swapping the core board. It is a simple process, as you remove the back cover and simply unplug and replug the cores. It will either work or not.

An OBDII device won't help with the cluster. You need an EPROM programmer and surface mount soldering equipment. The odometer data is encrypted, but there is third party software that can be purchased to break the encryption. I reverse engineered it myself.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:23 AM   #18
tsourorf

CTScott, have you done the experimentation you've mentioned? Did you get any results? I am pretty desperate at the moment since I only have one month left to complete the registration of my car in the UK.

I have been searching for the proper part numbers for this and ended up with two part codes that will work: 83800-0D640 and 83800-0D480. I've been searching all over the internet for those two codes without luck so far. I have found a local business that resets the odometer to the number you want (I don't want to buy all the equipment that is needed for something like that), but I need the circuit from a cluster bearing one of the aforementioned codes.

If anyone knows any place I can find such parts, I would be really grateful!