Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-21-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
ealbers

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Daytime running lights ENABLE...

Hello, I have a 2007 Yaris and am moving the canada, they REQUIRE daytime running lights be enabled on all imported cars.

I read how to remove the relay to disable, I also read there is a different harness? (I have a US yaris)...

Anyone have any detailed instructions to enable daytime running lights? I'd hate to have to get rid of the car just because I can't get them enabled!
Thanks
ealbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:21 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The under-dash wiring harness is significantly different for one with versus one without DRLs. The easiest way to add DRLs would be to add a relay to turn on the headlights whenever the ignition is on. It would be very similar to my "headlights off with the key" mod:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...diy+headlights
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:44 PM   #3
ealbers

Drives: 2007 Yaris
wiring

I looked at your mod, very cool, but I'm not sure what I'd do to make the lights ON whenever the ignition is on,

I assume I'd hook the pink ignition wire to the relay coil to turn it on, then power ED in your diagram?? Where would I get the power from? Or would I just make ED connect to ground to turn the lights on??

Thanks!
ealbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ealbers View Post
I looked at your mod, very cool, but I'm not sure what I'd do to make the lights ON whenever the ignition is on,

I assume I'd hook the pink ignition wire to the relay coil to turn it on, then power ED in your diagram?? Where would I get the power from? Or would I just make ED connect to ground to turn the lights on??

Thanks!
To have it switch the headlights on automatically with the key, rather than off with the key, you'd switch HL (pin 8) to ED with a normally open contact, instead of ED to ED with a normally open contact. Also, since you won't need to worry about T1, you can use a DPST relay (like a standard automotive relay) instead of a DPDT one.

The only issue is that this switches on the low beam without the headlight stalk and if you switch to high beam both will be on. To make the low turn off when the high is on, you would use a second relay. The seconds relay's coil would connect to HU (pin 9) and ED. Then, you'd clip HL's wire and connect it through the normally open contacts of the relay.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote