Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-16-2008, 12:36 AM   #1
UKblackyari

Drives: yaris
TRD shocks with tein or trd springs?

Hi, im currently looking for some springs to go with some TRD shocks, i was considering just going with some TRD springs but the drop seems pretty minimal and they are a bit more pricy than the tein s-techs if im not mistaken, im looking for about the drop which the teins are offering but was unsure if the combo would work well and if it would affect the life time of the shocks so I was wondering if any one had any opinions or have actually run this setup on there yaris, and if so if they have any pictures
UKblackyari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:38 AM   #2
tuckevalastin

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Both have and can be done. I'm personally going to go TRD shocks and TRD springs but I am going to run 17"s and dont want any rubbing
tuckevalastin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:39 AM   #3
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I have the TRD shocks with the S.Tech's. I like the combo, but I wish it were a stiffer ride (but my family and friends complain it's too stiff).
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:03 AM   #4
UKblackyari

well, im not looking for too stiff of a ride, as im not going to be tracking it, just looking for a bit better performance and the lower look, the only worry i have is with carrying loads and bottoming out.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:13 AM   #5
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
I have the TRD strut/spring combo plus TRD springs and swaybar in my sedan. They advertise a 1.25" drop however mine are now closer to 1.5" or lower after a few months of break-in.
It handles like on rails but the price is ride comfort.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:52 AM   #6
revoturbo

TEIN coil over better than TRD set, My friend told me.

Mines with coilover Tein supercompact..
& you can adjust ride height too

little hard but still comfort to drive although on rough way..
Old 12-16-2008, 02:44 PM   #7
Kaotic Lazagna

My whole suspension cost only half of the Tein Basics, and that's with a Tanabe strut bar.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:33 PM   #8
UKblackyari

i was considering getting some tein basics but is it worth the extra money? as i cant get my parts from America im getting them from Thailand, so the prices im comparing are 36000THB ($1,034.13) for tein basic compact or 16028THB ($460.33) for TRD shocks and struts and 8000THB ($229.75) for the tein s-tech springs and all together that’s $690.80 for the TRD/Tein setup. is high adjustability actually worth $343.33 or is the tein setup better in other ways?
Old 12-16-2008, 08:34 PM   #9
tuckevalastin

would you ever actually adjust it after the initial install?
Old 12-16-2008, 09:05 PM   #10
UKblackyari

Im not sure i would use the high adjustebility too much, but its always nice to have it there, but the thing which is making the decision hard is what other differences (apart from hight adjustebility) would i see from the tein basics, better handeling? a smother ride?
Old 12-16-2008, 09:37 PM   #11
tuckevalastin

during most driving you wouldn't notice much I don't suspect
Old 12-16-2008, 11:17 PM   #12
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKblackyari View Post
Im not sure i would use the high adjustebility too much, but its always nice to have it there, but the thing which is making the decision hard is what other differences (apart from hight adjustebility) would i see from the tein basics, better handeling? a smother ride?
The basics are only ride height adjustable, I believe. Also, coilovers are more stiffer than springs; therefore, should gain a better performance gain, but with some ride comfort lost.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:38 PM   #13
09TRD

Drives: 09 Yaris hatch, 09 Z51 'Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by revoturbo View Post
TEIN coil over better than TRD set, My friend told me.
I installed Tein coil-overs (their "Super Street" model) on my 2006 Accord coupe and they absolutely RUINED the car. The fronts were far too soft (even with the dampers cranked to the maximum damping setting) and the rears were way too hard.

The TRD set-up is VASTLY superior to the Tein crap. The TRD parts combine to feel like a thoroughly engineered package, while the Tein stuff felt like aftermarket junk.

I will never again buy Tein anything.

I am thoroughly impressed by the TRD package (springs, dampers and rear bar) and wouldn't consider anything else for my Yaris.

For the record, I've been driving/playing around with nice handling vehicles since the mid 1980s.
09TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:14 AM   #14
UKblackyari

ok, well thanx for all the help i think ive decided to go with the TRD setup with tein springs :), going to pop to the shop to get the springs tommorow and should have the shocks by next week, will post pics as soon as i get them fitted :D
Old 12-19-2008, 10:31 AM   #15
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09TRD View Post
I installed Tein coil-overs (their "Super Street" model) on my 2006 Accord coupe and they absolutely RUINED the car. The fronts were far too soft (even with the dampers cranked to the maximum damping setting) and the rears were way too hard.

The TRD set-up is VASTLY superior to the Tein crap. The TRD parts combine to feel like a thoroughly engineered package, while the Tein stuff felt like aftermarket junk.

I will never again buy Tein anything.

I am thoroughly impressed by the TRD package (springs, dampers and rear bar) and wouldn't consider anything else for my Yaris.

For the record, I've been driving/playing around with nice handling vehicles since the mid 1980s.
I've never used TEIN products but can concur that the TRD package works like a dream in my Yaris Sedan. The balance is nice with the shocks,springs and swaybar. I just need some stickier tires when the winter boots come off next spring.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:58 PM   #16
09TRD

Drives: 09 Yaris hatch, 09 Z51 'Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
I've never used TEIN products but can concur that the TRD package works like a dream in my Yaris Sedan. The balance is nice with the shocks,springs and swaybar. I just need some stickier tires when the winter boots come off next spring.
The TRD set-up (springs, dampers and bar) feels like a thoroughly engineered performance PACKAGE. It exceeded my expectations, which isn't an easy thing to do.

The Tein "Super Streets" on my 2006 Accord V6 EX coupe were horrible. The front end felt like an old Buick (even with the shocks cranked to maximum) and the rear end felt like a pick-up truck (even with the shocks cranked to minimum).

Maybe they screwed up that particular application, though I could never recommend them to anyone for any application after that.
09TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:20 AM   #17
j2ip

Drives: Yaris Sedan 2008
How about Cusco Compect-S compare of Tein Basic?
j2ip is offline   Reply With Quote