Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-22-2007, 03:17 AM   #1
Rahxephon

Drives: Vitz RS
Unhappy HELP: creaking/rattling noises after an accident

Update

So I went back to Herbers; they told me to drop off my car on August 22nd. After 22 days had passed, they gave me a call on September 13th, 2007 – telling me that my car was ready to be picked up.

On August 23rd, I went back to Herbers after receiving a call from them. They made me aware that the paint used on the car was CORRECT. The reason of the colour difference was suspected to be caused by somebody else – NOT HERBERS. I AGREED with them. They told me they’d fix the colour difference free of charge – even though it’s NOT their fault. During the time that I left my car at Herbers, they gave me a courtesy car.

The noise issue remains on and off. Sometimes, it’s there; sometimes, it’s not. On August 23rd when I went back to Herbers, we (the manager, the mechanic?, and I) went for a test drive. The creaking noises were detected. However, during the time that the car stayed at Herbers, the noises did NOT resurface – when they took it for a test drive. Thus, they were not able to do anything about that.

After listening to their explanations, I would like to apologize Herbers, for accusing them of not using the right paint – when they did use the right paint. Also, I would like to thank Herbers, especially Collin Herbers and Lodi Nicolacopoulos, for fixing the colour difference free of charge and giving me a courtesy car. The rear bumper colour now matches the body panel colour; I’m a happy camper in this regard.

Not sure if this is the appropriate forum. It’s quite a long story. I will really appreciate your opinions/helps on this subject.

Anyway, my Yaris got hit in late March. It was parked in front of my residence, when it got rear ended by an intoxicated driver 2000 cavalier. I couldn’t get my car into the body shop until May 17th. There was quite a long waiting list at the body shop I went to. I thought that body shop must be great, because of the long waiting list.

I took my car to that body shop in April for an estimate. On the preliminary estimate sheet, they have the exterior colour and exterior paint code WRONG – even when the colour code of the car is displayed on the VIN tags. That colour is not even available for the Yaris Hatchback. That should have rung the bell. I should have gone to the other auto body shops. The shop I went to was Herbers Autobody Repair, South location.

When I got my car back from Herbers on June 1st, there were some issues. The main ones were:
1. The rear bumper was loose and wobbly. (The colour also appeared slightly odd.)
2. They mispainted a spot that was quite noticeable. (Please refer to the attached picture.)
3. The weird noises that happened after the collision were still present.

Last edited by Rahxephon; 09-17-2007 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Update on the situation
Rahxephon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 03:21 AM   #2
Rahxephon

When I pointed #1 & #2 out to Graham Yeske, the estimator and one of Herbers staff, he appeared very annoyed and angry. He told me that the Yaris bumper supposed to be this way (loose & wobbly). About the spot that they forgot to paint and leave the bare metal exposed, one guy just came to do a touch up paint on the spot; the result didn’t look professional at all. Herbers slogan/trademark is “Autobody Like It Never Happened!” I don’t agree with that.

After driving for a week with the rear bumper loose, I couldn’t take it anymore. Plus, I thought I remember my car wasn’t like this. So I went to a Toyota dealership, comparing my Yaris to other Yarii on the lot – none had the loose rear bumper like mine.

I went back to Herbers. They told me they’re pretty sure that they did things right. I had to strongly insist that none of the Yaris on Gateway Toyota lot have loose and wobbly rear bumper. Herbers South manager then told me to bring my car back in 2 days. She said she’d order some parts; a Herbers staff might also go to a Toyota lot. Two days later, they install new left and right retainers of the rear bumpers, which fixed the issue. It turned out the left and right retainers were both broken and needed to be replaced. No apologies from Herbers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1091rsa.JPG (103.3 KB, 170 views)
Old 07-22-2007, 03:26 AM   #3
Rahxephon

About the odd paint, I was told that since the rear bumper is plastic, the colour will never match the body. However, I remember that before the collision, the rear bumper colour matched the body. Also a few days ago, I parked my car opposite to another Bayou Blue Yaris; its bumper colour and the body colour match exactly. I think they used 8R3/Pacific Blue Metallic on the rear bumper, instead of 8T1/Bayou Blue Metallic. On the final invoice, they still have my car colour and colour code wrong – even when I told them and gave them a note (when I dropped off my car at the shop) that they have the wrong colour and colour code on the preliminary sheet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1095rsa.JPG (112.1 KB, 170 views)

Last edited by Rahxephon; 07-22-2007 at 05:17 AM.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:29 AM   #4
Rahxephon

I don’t really mind the colour difference that much. It makes my car looks kind of (strangely) unique in a way. What I mind are the creaking/rattling/shaking/squeaking noises coming from the front console, after the collision. Graham, the Herbers staff, said it’s impossible for the noises to be results of the collision. How can I trust him? He told me my Yaris rear bumper supposed to be loose and it turned out he was wrong. Help. Is it really impossible for the noises to be results of the collision?

I went back to Herbers again on June 20th regarding the noises. After a test drive, the manager and one of the staff said that the creaking rattling front console noises are probably results of weather change, causing the materials to expand/shrink – and even a Mercedez is going to make those kind of noises. Is it true? Can the weather change really causes that much noises? How come I’ve never heard of those noises from a rental PT cruiser I used during the time my Yaris was at Herbers? I could neither hear those noises from my dad Camry, my mom Civic, nor my brother Echo Sedan. In my opinion, I think Herbers (branch/franchise I went to) care more about volume than quality.

When I press the front console, the areas around the audio system and air conditioning controls, I can hear it creaks. This didn’t occur when I pressed my father Camry front console.

What should I do? Should I go back to Herbers and insist that they fix the noises? What else can I do? The noises were not present before the collision. The noises are also stronger and louder at higher speed or on bumpy roads. Any replies or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank in advance.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:13 AM   #5
Rahxephon

Here's a picture of Herbers work. BTW, the cavalier front bumper came off completely after the collision. The owner of the cavalier put the bumper back on before I got a chance to take a picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg herbersjob.JPG (19.8 KB, 171 views)
Old 07-22-2007, 05:36 AM   #6
Edd

Drives: None
Huh? Is this meant to be a blog or something?

That sucks though. I hope you can get it sorted out alright.
Edd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 07:02 AM   #7
Rahxephon

Thanks Edd.

BTW, to all readers, does your Yaris make creaking rattling noises when you drive it? Thanks in advance.

I'm asking you this, because the body shop told me the noise issue was normal and definitely not caused by the collision. However, I've never noticed these noises before the collision. I don't notice these noises in other cars, either - unless they're really really old cars.

Last edited by Rahxephon; 07-22-2007 at 07:16 AM.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:20 AM   #8
gonzo452001

Drives: 3-door liftback blazing blue
there has been several post about dash rattles I would just take it to the dealer you got warranty. sucks about the color heard people say that is real hard to get the plastic to match metal
oem style foglights
96tacoma 4x4 xcab I4auto
Weathertech vent visors
Scan GaugeII
gonzo452001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 02:36 PM   #9
tiksman

Drives: 07 Red Hatch
There is some color diff in the bumpers vs the metal parts but the rear should be no more diff than the front if it is then they need to repaint. The creaking you hear may be something in the rear is binding up. Is the noise more inside or is it under the car?
tiksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 06:04 PM   #10
petesimac

Drives: Yaris LB
The long and the short of it is that you went to the wrong place to get your car fixed; they did a horrible job and should be made to make it right. Did you chose the place or did the insurance company? I would fuss and fuss and complain until they address each and every issue and make the car just as it was before the accident -- that's their job.
petesimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 06:28 PM   #11
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
I think you chose the wrong bodyshop; poor workmanship and negligence!

True, you can't get the plastic bumber and the metal to match perfectly, but your paint difference is just plain extreme!

I'd return and make a fuss until they fix it... properly!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 07:35 PM   #12
Thotprawsis

Drives: '07 Blazin' Blue LB
If this was an insurance job, get them involved. I'm sure they would insist that the job be done correctly.
Thotprawsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 02:01 AM   #13
Rahxephon

Thanks gonzo452001. I searched for those threads you mentioned right away. It sucks that some other people have the rattling creaking noise issue too. It seems that most of them have different noise sources, though - kind of too inconsistent. I'll take my car to the dealership first thing in the morning. Many people in those threads do mention that their cars don't make those noises. I'm certain my car didn't make those noises before the collision too. It was a really solid car.

Thanks tiksman. The colour of the rear bumper is different from the body and the front bumper. If I get them to repaint again, I'll probably have to wait another 2 months. Last time, they mispainted a spot (left bare metal exposed) when they're supposedly a "pro". If you were me, will you bring your car back to that same body shop again? It's the other guy fault so his insurance company is paying for it.

Thanks petesimac. I should have kept it brief. I am just so frustrated with this, cause my car was hit since March and it's not properly fixed yet. The insurance company, AMA, let me chose the place that is AMA certified. I went to Herbers because they have ads all over the city. My friend also said that I'm too gentle and I also look young, and that's why they took advantages of me.

Thanks kimona54. You think I won't be a jerk right? If I make a fuss about the paint? I'm kind of worried too that that bad paint spot may turn rusty in the future before it should.

Thanks Thotprawsis. I'll call my insurance company appraiser after I go to the dealership tomorrow.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:44 AM   #14
nick1983

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris sedan
If I was you, I would call the Better Business Bureau. The completely f-ed up your car and are not taking responsibility. Ask to speak to the manager or owner. Go to the top to get it done right or get money back.
nick1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:02 AM   #15
Rahxephon

I'm thinking of calling an appraiser. I'm just not sure if I should call him now, or wait until I get to talk to the body shop again. I went to a Toyota dealership today and the earliest they can have a look at my car is next Monday. I'm planning to bring my car back to the body shop after Toyota have a look at it. The other Yaris at the dealer lot doesn't make noises when I pressed the areas that my Yaris would. That other Yaris was really solid.

Last time I went to Herbers on June 20, the Herbers mechanic told me it's the weather change that causes the noises and that every car make this noise - even a Mercedez. The Herbers manager then said her car made these noises too. After a visit at Toyota dealership today, I'm not too sure if they just made that up or not. Plus, other cars that I know don't make these noises either, unless they're really old.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:05 AM   #16
Rahxephon

Thanks for the suggestion Nick. Have you ever had any experience with Better Business Bureau? Can or Do they really help?
Old 07-24-2007, 11:49 PM   #17
thatboyjer

Drives: 5spd 2007 Yaris LB
yea dude straight up get your shit done man, they're taking advantage of you just cause you look young. I had the same problem with a different car before cause i look damn well around 16 but i raised hell and didn't take anybody's shit. You see the less work they do to your car and say its fine the more money they can charge you for a half ass job.

don't listen to them about the rattling noises, it sounds like bullshit anyways. it doesn't matter if every other car has that tell them you don't want YOUR car to have that. My yaris sure as hell doesn't have that. Straight up dude you need to raise hell, don't take no for an answer, and tell them if they don't do their job and make your car look/sound exactly the way it did before the accident, you're going to take this higher up until you get your money's worth.

And if they're a private owned buisiness, either sue em or take this to the better buisiness bureau, cause seriously if you don't watch your ass they'll take that to their advantage and rape until they get THEIR money's worth for minimal work.
thatboyjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:07 AM   #18
Rahxephon

Thanks for the advice thatboyjer. I wish I'm more like you. I'm trying to be more aggressive and have more confident. I will take my car back to them one more time. If they cannot fix it properly this time, I'll call the appraiser.