Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-22-2014, 10:28 AM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Manual Transmission Vent

I replaced my MTF the other night and was on a mission to find this mythical "vent". I did not notice any air hiss or release when I opened up the fill hole but none the less I still wanted to make sure that I knew where this vent was to make sure it was functioning fine. Ideally I wanted to get GL-4 fluid for the cold start ups here in Southern Ontario but I couldn't find any and I didn't have enough time to order it online. I ended up getting Motomaster synthetic which I put in before and is pretty smooth but not the absolute best in -45 degrees.

I removed the battery and airbox out of the way (you don;t really need to do this) as I didn't really know what i was looking for. On top of the transmission is a cylindrical silver metal shaped part. On top of this (under the battery tray to the middle of the car a bit) are 2 or 3 smal 1/4"-1/2" diameter cylinders that poke upwards about 1/2". One of them has a big nut on it that fits a large >24mm socket or spanner wrench. I thought this was it and I started loosening this. *This is not the vent and it is extremely hard to loosen. Don't touch that bolt.

Further to the back about 2 or so inches is another smaller cylinder poking up about 1/4" diameter and sticking up about 1/2". It has not nut around it and you cannot put a socket on it. This "cap" should be loose and spin freely with your fingers. It will not loosen or tighten when you spin it. This is the vent. If it does not move then you can take it off with vise grip (be careful) and clean it out and maybe spray a little lithium grease in it if you need. Then snap it back on.

I didn't bother removing mine as it is working fine and I couldn't remove it by hand. Unfortunately I didn't have time to take pictures, but hope this helps explain what to look for. If you know what you're looking for you should be able to reach your hand in and jiggle it to check if it's still working.
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:46 AM   #2
mattymo

Drives: 09 LB
Manual Transmission Vent / Breather

Thanks tmontague! I found mine, touched it, and it hissed! I had noticed same air discharge when opening fill cap. After relieving pressure, manual transmission shifts way better! (3rd is quirky/notchy for me). Anyway, I cleaned rubber gasket on breather cap, as well as spring and housing. You could see indentation on gasket where it had stuck to opening. Crappy design IMHO. I tried attaching picture; hopefully it worked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150321_153340.jpg (236.0 KB, 136 views)
mattymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 02:24 PM   #3
GeneralScott
I've made a post!

Drives: 2005 Corolla
Necropost, but if you're still around, how did you manage to get that plug off? Can't find anything on the internet about it and I know mine's clogged as it leaks oil only when it's warming up either from driving or temp/alt changes.
GeneralScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 10:09 PM   #4
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralScott View Post
Necropost, but if you're still around, how did you manage to get that plug off? Can't find anything on the internet about it and I know mine's clogged as it leaks oil only when it's warming up either from driving or temp/alt changes.
alot of manuals(i dont know about yaris) are pressed in..as in they can be removed but youll fight for it....and useualy easiest when the trans is HOT
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote