Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-27-2007, 06:44 PM   #1
majorposer

Drives: purchasing
competition seat harnesses

I work at a MINI cooper dealership, and let me be the first to say how easy they have it when it comes to aftermarket. everything is laid out for them. i've installed a couple clip-in harnesses for customers, and i was really impressed. Now i know the proper way to install a harness, and if it takes me to drill holes into the floor, i'll do it. But does anyone have simple set-up?
majorposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:21 AM   #2
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorposer View Post
I work at a MINI cooper dealership, and let me be the first to say how easy they have it when it comes to aftermarket. everything is laid out for them. i've installed a couple clip-in harnesses for customers, and i was really impressed. Now i know the proper way to install a harness, and if it takes me to drill holes into the floor, i'll do it. But does anyone have simple set-up?

yep, you need a roll bar
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:17 PM   #3
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
Use the back seat seatbelt bolts . Safe-Quip has an easy to remove/apply plate that will attach to your rear seatbelt bolts . Their Harnesses are the best . The have old style (latch) and new style (quick release hubs) . In any color you want . They will even sew patches on if you ask . They are right down the street from me . They have a bunch of very experienced "Young" :) ladies that sew the belts .
Old 03-29-2007, 06:27 PM   #4
majorposer

See my problem i run into is not the shoulder belts, but the lower two belts. there isn't anything behind the seat to mount too with out drilling.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:30 PM   #5
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
use the car seatbelt mounts or the seat mount bracket bolts
also there should be 3 or 4 lower belts not 2
HTM Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:41 PM   #6
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
well, if you are going to autoX, maybe I am wrong, but are safety harnesses allowed to be screwed into the floorboards? I was thinking that for a full harness and to be approved they needed to be hooked to a rollcage...thats just my lack of info comming from my ass though, I am 'prolly completely wrong.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:42 PM   #7
jdubau55

Drives: 2007 White Yaris LB 5 Spd.
Send a message via AIM to jdubau55 Send a message via Yahoo to jdubau55
Im sure it should be stated very clearly where and how the harness mounts in the SCCA rules for each class.
jdubau55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:26 AM   #8
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
The way mine are mounted are probably against any regulations, but it gets the job done quite well without a roll cage (yet)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1109.jpg (88.6 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1106.jpg (88.2 KB, 51 views)

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:30 AM   #9
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
The way mine are mounted are probably against any regulations, but it gets the job done quite well without a roll cage (yet)
That will really screw you up if you get hit from the side or rear. That configruation is highly dangerous.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:37 AM   #10
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Yeah that's what I thought too, but I rarely even use the harness nowadays, the regular seatbelt is still fine, and it gets rid of that annoying flashing reminder light.

I will eventually get a roll cage and will be sure to have the harness redone properly

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:42 AM   #11
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Yeah that's what I thought too, but I rarely even use the harness nowadays, the regular seatbelt is still fine, and it gets rid of that annoying flashing reminder light.

I will eventually get a roll cage and will be sure to have the harness redone properly
Well if you dont use them its ok then.

Get a harness bar made in the mean time. It should be pretty simple for a shop to design and weld one up for you. Then you can use the harnesses and it will be safer.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 06:38 PM   #12
majorposer

well, i've been through the rule books before on a previous car. there are loops between the rear seatback and seat bottom that i can clip into. it's a little less than a 45 degree angle, which is legal. i can mount too the sheet metal, but i need to use approved backing plates to disperse force better than a nut and washer. Your also not allowed to mount to the seat. i'll have to see about getting some brackets made to use the seat track mounting points.