Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-04-2021, 10:57 PM   #1
Neinris

Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
Another Tanabe (Revel) Meddalion S-Touring muffler install

Hello everyone! I got my muffler today and I’ve taken some measurements. Things I didn’t like, didn’t come with flange gasket doughnut and mounting hardware, there’s a choke point right after the flange, and the flange is not completely welded around. See pics below for measurements. Also showed how I jerry rigged the old muffler, it’s so embarrassing, but I don’t care now, the pipe was so small it inserted in the axle back piping, and the thing stopping it was the old flange weld which is almost nonexistent.

I’ve downloaded a db meter called Decibel, and took some sound measurements on my way to work and back. I’ll take measurements again tomorrow with the new muffler for a comparison. If you have questions about other physical measurements let me know.
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:09 PM   #2
Neinris

Few more pics...

I do like how thick the flange is though, I drove it briefly and it wasn’t that obnoxious to me, we'll see on the way to work tomorrow and on the way back. Guesstimating the diameter of the choke point, since the pipe wall is about 1.5mm thick, inside would be 42mm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 341EA04B-FDF2-47BD-ABB4-17CD13D1BF5C.jpeg (217.3 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpeg 645C998F-DB66-4CF6-BEFF-17C4957A4D05.jpeg (208.0 KB, 132 views)
Old 03-05-2021, 10:35 AM   #3
Neinris

Decibel comparison

Alright, here's what I got so far for a comparison. I'm including some other info in here to give you an idea of the noise levels.
At first I wanted to see the difference where my phone is positioned, with the car running I had it right at my face and then mounted at the center console vent by a magnet. No db difference.
The following levels are measured with everything off, just sitting in the car, both windows rolled up:
White noise level (nothing on, just sitting in the car) 33db
Wipers turned on (nothing on) 59db
Heater full blast (nothing on) 69db
Pulling on e-brake (nothing on) 71db

Ok here's the comparison between the two mufflers, the numbers after are obviously from the Tanabe:

Initial start peak noise 60db vs 68db
Engine warming up 56db vs 64db
Car fully warm (idle in parking lot) 43db vs 50db
Cruising in 3rd gear at 30mph 65db vs 69db
Cruising in 4th gear at 30mph 63db vs 65 db
Cruising in 5th gear at 75mph 75db vs 78db

It sucks that I this car didn't come stock with a tachometer, I would have made the comparison that way. I apologize if I didn't get to do more test with the other muffler, I was going to do more test yesterday, but I found out the Tanabe came in so I wanted to put it on ASAP!

Something I don't like, which I hope will go away, it makes a raspy noise when I'm accelerating, like I have an exhaust leak, and it's louder than my initial exhaust leak. I'd have to investigate that, hopefully it's not an exhaust leak. I made sure that I tightened both bolts evenly so that the doughnut flange gasket is sitting flushed, got crushed fairly squared.
Over all, it's quieter than when my initial muffler broke off, when my wife was complaining that my car is too loud, she thought I did something to it.
Old 03-06-2021, 04:55 PM   #4
Neinris

Exhaust leak found

I was changing my upstream O2 sensor last night, and discovered that I have an exhaust leak between the header and mid pipe flange. I was able to replace the doughnut gasket and downstream O2 sensor this morning, and OH BOY, I haven’t heard her purr like that in a while, maybe ever since I got her!!!
The raspy exhaust leak sound is gone, it’s not embarrassing to accelerate anymore. I will be taking db measurements again and post. In the mean time here’s some pics from the doughnut install.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:46 AM   #5
Fluxtasy
feed my pet

Drives: Yaris Sedan '10
Hope you post a vid too & cheers!
Fluxtasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:04 AM   #6
Neinris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxtasy View Post
Hope you post a vid too & cheers!
Hi! There are actually videos already available in YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROeri4U66ic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-kKwwjjmC8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsXfNjOUsW4

So I'm not sure I'd be posting one, they all sound the same.

The last video, although it's not the same GEN as my Yaris, depicts a more accurate sound, there's not much wind noise and maybe they were using a camera with better audio system.
Old 03-07-2021, 01:47 PM   #7
Fluxtasy
feed my pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neinris View Post
Hi! There are actually videos already available in YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROeri4U66ic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-kKwwjjmC8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsXfNjOUsW4

So I'm not sure I'd be posting one, they all sound the same.

The last video, although it's not the same GEN as my Yaris, depicts a more accurate sound, there's not much wind noise and maybe they were using a camera with better audio system.
the third vid sounds like my muffler too
Old 03-07-2021, 05:53 PM   #8
Neinris

I wanted to see how close the axle frame get to the muffler since my car is lowered and the axle frame is mounted using the upper hole. Looks like we’re good as far as clearance. And there’s no sign that the axle frame is hitting the gas tank.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:18 PM   #9
Fluxtasy
feed my pet

Quote:
I wanted to see how close the axle frame get to the muffler since my car is lowered and the axle frame is mounted using the upper hole. Looks like we’re good as far as clearance. And there’s no sign that the axle frame is hitting the gas tank.
Upper hole and Teins that would really be low. I won't survive with that setup over here with all the speed bumps
Old 03-08-2021, 06:10 PM   #10
Neinris

Quote:
Upper hole and Teins that would really be low. I won't survive with that setup over here with all the speed bumps
She’s not really that low. And moving to the upper mounting holes doesn’t lower the car more, just changes the handling a bit, less under steer. See that rear is still even with the front.
D93E46E7-E5AA-4AA9-A194-83F811B0523C.jpeg
You guys have some of the illest looking Yaris’ Malaysia. I wished the Sportivo was available in the States.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C08FADEF-4563-44D8-95F0-00C517A3F132.jpeg (90.5 KB, 105 views)
Old 03-09-2021, 07:51 AM   #11
Fluxtasy
feed my pet

Quote:
She’s not really that low. And moving to the upper mounting holes doesn’t lower the car more, just changes the handling a bit, less under steer. See that rear is still even with the front.
Attachment 61557
You guys have some of the illest looking Yaris’ Malaysia. I wished the Sportivo was available in the States.
ok didn't know that it wouldn't lower the car further with the upper mount.

The 2nd gen Yaris wasn't a popular choice over here compared to Thailand. I believed they only had up to the S package before Toyota discontinued sales. Toyota is selling the 3rd gen now and G is the highest package at the moment. Sportivo package was only available for Vios/Yaris Sedan 2nd & 3rd gen.

Personally I only like a couple of options from the Sportivo package e.g.: speedometer, rims & interior seats. Not a fan of aerokit package.
Old 03-09-2021, 10:16 AM   #12
Neinris

Quote:
ok didn't know that it wouldn't lower the car further with the upper mount.

The 2nd gen Yaris wasn't a popular choice over here compared to Thailand. I believed they only had up to the S package before Toyota discontinued sales. Toyota is selling the 3rd gen now and G is the highest package at the moment. Sportivo package was only available for Vios/Yaris Sedan 2nd & 3rd gen.

Personally I only like a couple of options from the Sportivo package e.g.: speedometer, rims & interior seats. Not a fan of aerokit package.
That’s too bad, I like that front, makes the Yaris looks kind of like a GTR!
Old 03-09-2021, 10:44 AM   #13
Neinris

New db...

So after I've fixed my other exhaust leak, she purrs a lot quieter now, about the same as the previous muffler that I had.

Previous comparison:

Initial start peak noise 60db vs 68db (now 66db)
Engine warming up 56db vs 64db (now 60db)
Car fully warm (idle in parking lot) 43db vs 50db (now still 50db)
Cruising in 3rd gear at 30mph 65db vs 69db (now 66db)
Cruising in 4th gear at 30mph 63db vs 65 db (now 61db)
Cruising in 5th gear at 75mph 75db vs 78db (now 75db)

It's sometimes quieter than my previous muffler due to the exhaust leak.
Old 03-09-2021, 12:01 PM   #14
Fluxtasy
feed my pet

Quote:
That’s too bad, I like that front, makes the Yaris looks kind of like a GTR!
Haha!

Sportivo is the past. Toyota here is now milking the GR branding:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGA7oMzggss
Old 03-09-2021, 12:53 PM   #15
Neinris

Quote:
Haha!

Sportivo is the past. Toyota here is now milking the GR branding:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGA7oMzggss
Sportivo maybe the past for you, but since we never got it here in the States, it's unique. I think I saw some one form Texas have the front bumper, but not the Sportivo added lip. I'd brand Sportivo "RETRO" Retro's are always cool...

We're not getting the GR Yaris...
Old 03-13-2021, 02:47 PM   #16
remcafee

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door
i recently switch to the upper rear axle holes too and it seems to slightly increase the ride height to me, i think the theory is that it is compressing the speing a little more adding more pre load to it, but its ok with me as the cars steering feels faster to respond, i assume its the difference in toe from the swing beam positioning, i cant wait to try it out at the track and see how the handling changes
remcafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 03:19 PM   #17
Neinris

Quote:
Originally Posted by remcafee View Post
i recently switch to the upper rear axle holes too and it seems to slightly increase the ride height to me, i think the theory is that it is compressing the speing a little more adding more pre load to it, but its ok with me as the cars steering feels faster to respond, i assume its the difference in toe from the swing beam positioning, i cant wait to try it out at the track and see how the handling changes
Cool! The handling improvement is not just my imagination. I didn’t see a height difference, as I have the Tein’s lowering springs. It probably just squared how the spring is perched like if I have the stock springs and original mounting holes. Please do share the handling comparison.