Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-18-2012, 11:26 PM   #1
vincentg

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
Getting a 25mpg in my 2007 HB Yaris

Thats right. I dont know whats happening. Im getting roughly 25mpg on my yaris. I just filled up the gas yesterday and i made some calculations and thats the figure i got.

I just acquired the 2007 yaris last month. Im thinking maybe i should change the oil, oil filter, spark plugs and tune it up.

Oh and i got 17" rims, maybe that also affects the mileage of the car.
Thinking of getting a synthetic oil than the regular oil.

My Honda Aria is getting much better mileage than this Yaris, but basing from the post of other people, i think i still have a ray of hope in my yaris.

Oh and the air filter also, ill replace it too OR just clean it.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
willygoodness

Drives: 09 yaris hb
when i put my 18's on I don't get the best fuel economy around town, but is better if i only do highway trips.

I just acquired the 2007 yaris last month. Im thinking maybe i should change the oil, oil filter, spark plugs and tune it up.

^^ always worth doing. also fuel filter! and air filter

i have noticed better fuel usage with synthetic oil.. but not sure if its cos of air temp and aircon useage tho.

try wheel alignment with ur 17's on
if u are using ethonol fuel you would probly get less mpg

how many km or miles on the odometer? :)
willygoodness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
have you tried out those E3 spark plugs, i gained 1.2 mpg hot rodding around town.

if your new rims are heavier that your old rims it can cause you engine to strain to get the extra rolling mass moving and can cause a decrease in hp and a decrease in fuel efficiency.
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
DARKSCOPE001

Drives: 2011 Yaris sedan
many factors add to fuel economy I think the first is the 17" wheels Also if this is what you are getting around town (not freeway) its not horrible but its not great.

Yes you could try replacing the filter. Clean the mass air while your in there also and drive with your ac off as long as you can stand it. without seeing or knowing how the spark plugs are its hard to say. It never "hurts" to change plugs but you might throw good plugs in there only to find that it did absolutely nothing. Pull them and take a look its good practice anyways.

Synthetic oil can never hurt and ive heard that it helps fuel economy (a little) I buy into the theory that its way better especially in the cold and during engine startup but i use synthetic for durability and protection not fuel economy.

Good Luck
Sean Scott
DARKSCOPE001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:44 AM   #5
vincentg

Quote:
Originally Posted by willygoodness View Post
how many km or miles on the odometer? :)
34000 kms. I dont want to go to the toyota service center because they have a bad reputation. i'd rather fix it on my own
Old 04-20-2012, 01:06 AM   #6
vincentg

okay i took out the spark plug from the engine. this is what the spark plugs look like.

it seems pretty fine to me. i mean its not burned.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:25 AM   #7
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
What size are your tires? If they are overall larger or smaller than stock, this will affect your speedometer and odometer, and make your calculations inaccurate.

Also tell us about your driving style? Mostly stop-and-go city driving? What speed do you reach on highways, do you drive like Speed Racer all the time? There are a LOT of factors that can affect fuel economy!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:31 AM   #8
vincentg

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
What size are your tires? If they are overall larger or smaller than stock, this will affect your speedometer and odometer, and make your calculations inaccurate.

Also tell us about your driving style? Mostly stop-and-go city driving? What speed do you reach on highways, do you drive like Speed Racer all the time? There are a LOT of factors that can affect fuel economy!
i got a 17" rims. 205/45zr17 in the front and 215/45zr17 in the rear. Its bigger than the stock. i was basing around 2mpg less with the tires on. And its properly inflated at 33psi.

well, first of all. Im no speed demon so lets scratch the driving issue. Well, my place really is traffic, so its mostly a stop and go driving here.

On highways i go 35 to 50 miles

And mostly, i do this habit upon reaching the stoplight or when i know im about to stop, i tend to put the gear into neutral just to let the car glide. around 200m to 300m glide to the stoplight.

i shift at 2000rpm so i can say its the ideal shifting point.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:10 AM   #9
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
OK, so apart from stop and go your driving style is pretty efficient already... When driving in the same kinds of conditions, even when I had my old 18" wheels, I would average about 32MPG... So it does sound like something weird with the car itself.

So as several other members above suggested, get the air filter and MAF sensor checked/cleaned, maybe even try to reset the ECU so it can start from a fresh slate...

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 04-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #10
vincentg

MAF sensor?

and ive read regarding the reset of the ECU.. do i really just disconnect the battery for a few moments?
Old 04-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #11
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

The sensor on your intake pipe between the filter and the throttle body :)

http://www.microimageonline.com/foru...ir-flow-sensor)

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 04-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #12
vincentg

thanks! got it bookmarked! :) will update this thread! thank you very much! i hope i can get my cars milage about 30 or 40 :D
Old 04-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #13
DARKSCOPE001

Drives: 2011 Yaris sedan
also I must say since i was the one saying to remove the plugs that those look just fine to me at least thought pics. Thats about what a normal plug looks like during its usefull life. I mean the gap may be off a smidge but i think your just fine :)

But yes cleaning your MAF would help. I need to do it to my car and my girlfriends car because i highly doubt they did it at the toyota stealership.

Good luck
Sean Scott
DARKSCOPE001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #14
Spidermandud

Drives: Black '08 Yaris Hatch S
Agreed; Switching out the air filter never hurts, keep your tires inflated. What's the weight on the rims? 17" are a good deal heavier than 15's or 14's. Might try throwing some Fuel injector cleaner in there.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #15
OTA'sTOY
DAT'S RIGHT I GOTz 2

Drives: '10 5dr
first off it might be the wrong NGK plug
should be a BKR5ES according to NGK website
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/part_fi...uv/results.asp
IMO you should probably go back to OE denso iridium

OTA'sTOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #16
Profotoiam

Drives: yaris
before my recent accident i noticed a shitty low mpg ive owned car since miledge 1 so i did a complete tune up im sure it was either the aftermarket filter that i replaced and r the maf that i cleaned that really cleared up the shitty mpg total difference to me light and day also the battery was replaced and i noticed alot more umpphhh in power in all areas worth a look and try

i was getting 22 and i drive like a mad man im back up in the 30s now stop and go well was till the accident
Profotoiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:46 AM   #17
vincentg

okay. here is the problem. the air filter is stuck in the bumper. (ill post pictures of it later.) i must remove the bumper before removing the air filter. talk about HASSLE.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:08 AM   #18
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Either the air intake fell off, or an aftermarket CAI was installed by someone along the way...
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2007 yaris, 25mpg, fuel economy, hatchback