Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2015, 01:29 AM   #1
Kalispel
 
Kalispel's Avatar
 
Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Arizona (USA)
Posts: 1,059
2015 Yaris SE (m/t) - Week-One Impressions - The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly.

Hopefully someone else considering purchase of a 2015/2016 SE will find this information useful, beyond what they read/see in typical professional online reviews of the car.

Listed below is a list of my likes and dislikes thus far, after driving my 2015 M/T Yaris SE for a week, following my normal daily routines:

LIKES (in no particular order):

--- SE headlights are just sexy in all regards. End of story.

--- Love the integrated fog lights, the on/off fog light switch on headlight stalk, and the control console display icon when they are in use.

--- Love the SE front seats (look, feel, and performance). They are very comfortable and I stick like glue to them on the corners. Awesome

--- 2015 Yaris SE clutch mechanics are well-implemented, and pedal is very easy to depress/hold/release. Shifting is smooth, precise and enjoyable in all gears once you become accustomed to the "feather-touch" accelerator dynamics. The car is a joy to drive in its manual incarnation. I never expected to like it as much or more than the manual Honda vehicles that I have driven over the years - but I do.

--- Car is well-mannered and smooth in 1st and 2nd gear driving slowly at parking lot speeds. My Accord seemed like it hated being in 1st/2nd gear doing the same, and would surge/choke a bit when I pressed/released the accelerator in those slower-speed gears.

--- Cabin has very good overall sound suppression/insulation for a vehicle in this class. I was pleasantly surprised. Only road noise really seeps through, when on rough, poorly maintained roads.

--- SE Sports-tuned suspension (and lower profile tires) makes for some fun driving/corning dynamics, even if it does make the ride a bit more busy on the rougher, poorly maintained roads. It's a worthwhile trade-off, in my opinion.

--- Turning radius on the SE is still quite good (despite being worse than the L/LE), and more than sufficient for all the tight spots that I have put her in thus far around town.

--- Very good braking capabilities. I personally like the 4-wheel disc brakes, even if they probably aren't really necessary on a car in this size/weight class.

--- A/C rocks cool air, even in the 108-118 degree heat that I have been driving in this past week - and I was only using fan setting 2 or 3 (of 4).

--- Love the single big wiper blade on the front windshield, versus two smaller ones. Very good example of simple, attractive, low-key design sexiness

--- Like the sound/feel of the stock engine, even if I wish it had another 20-25 horsepower to it, just to better match the looks and other performance specs of the 2015 SE, if nothing else. As it is, the car still accelerates briskly enough, even with the A/C on (m/t, 175lb lone occupant, and not loaded down with much more than a trunk full of groceries).

--- Stereo/speakers sound quite good by my standards, though I am not one to blast it or anything like that. The HD radio is really nice, compared to regular FM broadcasts (yes, this is my first car with HD radio).

--- Love the black honeycomb design of SE front grill/bumper area - but it is probably 10x harder to clean/detail than the variant L/LE version.

--- Really happy with the all-around design and look of the 2015 SE body. Everything just flows together well on the exterior.

--- Really like the minimalist, elegant, and simple interior layout, overall. No crazy "tech bloat", and no cheesy attempts to make the inside of the car look like a starship.

--- Like the air vent positions, layout, and design, especially the highly adjustable round vents on the far right and left side of dash.

--- Cabin/cockpit area is surprisingly open/roomy feeling (without tinted windows at least), with more head clearance up front than I expected - even at 6ft2in. Probably because there is no power moonroof built into a dropped/thicker ceiling, like my old Accord had.

--- Easy enough (for me at least) to find a very comfortable sitting/driving position, even with the lack of a telescopic steering wheel adjustment - which almost every auto reviewer has bashed the Yaris for not having.

--- Great all-around visibility in this car.

--- Shorter length of Yaris makes it really easy to fully pull into a parking spot (no ass hanging out) and still be a good foot+ away from scrapping your lower front bumper on a curb/curb-stop.

--- Aesthetically, I like the lower reverse-light placement on rear of the white/silver 2015 Yaris, but not so much with the other colors, since it doesn't blend the same, and tends to stick out like a sore thumb on those other colors.

--- Much prefer the flusher/blended taillights of the 2015, versus the ones on its 2012-2014 cousins. Likewise with the body-painted rear trim piece above license, versus the chrome one on the 2012-2014 (and Yaris Sedan). If you want chrome on the rear, you can always order the optional lower hatch trim available for the 2015 in Europe, etc.

--- Like the thick, fat, leather-wrapped steering-wheel on the SE.


DISLIKES (in no particular order):


--- No all-weather, reinforced "foot rest" rubberized plate to left of clutch/brake on raised "foot rest area". How did Toyota miss this in design??? I would rather not place my foot on the core vehicle carpet/floor, and undoubtedly soil and wear it out it over time.

--- Shortage of concealed/practical storage space in cockpit, though ample open, small, less-useful bins on various parts of dash. I will have to order a couple Toyota hinged-lid "ashtray cups" for coins and such. The concealed little bin in front of the dual cup holders and gearbox is nice though, at least - which I use to store my garage door opener, and a few other small things that I need easy access to.

--- No available armrest accessory currently for the 2015 Yaris - which feeds into above concealed/practical storage gripe. Perhaps it will be offered as an option with the 2016 models (meaning it would fit the 2015 also)? Though, having an open area between the seats is quite nice for a change (versus the monster armrest/storage unit in my old Accord). I guess it would depend upon the exact design/height of the armrest, on whether I would like it in this car or not.

--- Sunlight glare on touchscreen stereo limits its usefulness and ease of use during the sunny days here in AZ (tinted windows may alleviate this problem).

--- It's a bit difficult to see clock and dash LED information display with steering wheel tilted full-up, partially blocking view of it (I'm 6ft2in tall). I have to lean forward to see anything on the display other than the clock/temp -which I can barely see over the steering wheel centerpiece in my preferred, comfortable driving position.

--- Nothing wrong with the power windows, but I wish they were crank instead. Just a personal preference, and wishful thinking. I haven't had good luck with power window longevity in the past, with my Honda's. Hopefully Toyota will be different.

--- Not a fan of the remote lock opener and panic button being built into the key head, making it fatter/bulkier. I liked the separate, smaller key and little remote keychain unit (two piece) setup on my 2000 Accord better.

--- Very happy to have cruise control as standard equipment on the SE, but preferred the right-side steering-wheel mounted controls on my 2000 Accord over the awkward little stalk protruding from the lower right part of my steering wheel.

--- The 3 empty, covered button sockets near emergency brake and one on dash next to console dimmer make the car seem like it is missing something that it is supposed to have. What are those supposed to be used for anyway?

--- The tactile feel of the climate control knobs are sort of low-end (but work/look nice enough) - probably because these are the same controls used only in the lower-end Yaris models in Japan/Europe. Where is the nicer climate control setup that other market SE's and RS's have??? If you are willing to buy an SE over an L/LE, then you are obviously a lot more likely not to be worried about paying a bit extra for upgraded functionality, feel, etc.

--- I'm still not a huge fan of the 2015 OEM SE Alloy wheels, but my dislike of them has diminished greatly since I first saw them with the 2015 USA launch. They kind of grow on you, and do have a certain modern look to them. They look a lot better on the black and dark gray SE's, however, as opposed to the white/silver ones.

--- No standard OEM exhaust tip finisher on the 2015 SE trim, or even available as a dealer option for the North American Yaris (Unlike in other countries). Luckily I found a good aftermarket one - since it really rounds-out and completes the exterior look of the SE.

--- I wonder how many more years before car makers stop integrating CD players into their stereo units? I doubt I will ever use mine, and would rather Toyota have cut that for extra production-cost savings, rather than cutting the exhaust tip on the 2015 SE.

--- Not sure if I like the glossy piano-finish trim around gearbox, on steering-wheel, etc. or not inside the car. It makes it easy to leave fingerprints/smudges in those places. It also made sticking an adhesive die-cut white TRD vinyl logo very easy on the gearbox. :)

--- Orange/Red is not my favorite color setup when it comes to night-time illuminated auto instrument clusters. Thank goodness I can dim it down some.

--- Apparently I have a gremlin living inside of one of my air vents. Every time I leave the vehicle for a while and then return, the center left air vent is angled up for airflow direction, instead of level and facing me. O_o


***FINAL VERDICT***: Minor quibbles aside, I really do LOVE this car. I must be a real oddity in the American auto market. I also don't feel that a Honda Fit is a better car than a Yaris SE - except in cargo hauling capacity and superior design of the folding front/back seats. I like the Yaris SE better in every other way. Kudos to Honda marketing/hype versus Toyota marketing/hype, with regards to vehicles in this subcompact class, since they are selling 3-4x the volume of the 2015 Fit versus the 2015 Yaris (at least in America).


Last edited by Kalispel; 08-22-2015 at 02:07 AM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:21 AM   #2
BLKHILLSGUY
 
Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Black Hills of South Dakota
Posts: 344
I agree with the comment regarding the red/orange lights. Not my favorite thing either. However, I did really like the cruise control stalk. It's been implemented in all Toyota's and Lexus vehicles since the early 90's. It's worked very well for them. Test drove a Subaru Crosstek the other day and the cruise control was on the wheel. I didn't like that. The Toyota is much better in my humble opinion. Btw the Crosstek is just too quirky for my tastes. I guess I'm used to the solid, simple workings of a Toyota.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:36 PM   #3
nookandcrannycar
 
Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Posts: 4,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
Hopefully someone else considering purchase of a 2015/2016 SE will find this information useful, beyond what they read/see in typical professional online reviews of the car.

Listed below is a list of my likes and dislikes thus far, after driving my 2015 M/T Yaris SE for a week, following my normal daily routines:

LIKES (in no particular order):

--- SE headlights are just sexy in all regards. End of story.

--- Love the integrated fog lights, the on/off fog light switch on headlight stalk, and the control console display icon when they are in use.

--- Love the SE front seats (look, feel, and performance). They are very comfortable and I stick like glue to them on the corners. Awesome

--- 2015 Yaris SE clutch mechanics are well-implemented, and pedal is very easy to depress/hold/release. Shifting is smooth, precise and enjoyable in all gears once you become accustomed to the "feather-touch" accelerator dynamics. The car is a joy to drive in its manual incarnation. I never expected to like it as much or more than the manual Honda vehicles that I have driven over the years - but I do.

--- Car is well-mannered and smooth in 1st and 2nd gear driving slowly at parking lot speeds. My Accord seemed like it hated being in 1st/2nd gear doing the same, and would surge/choke a bit when I pressed/released the accelerator in those slower-speed gears.

--- Cabin has very good overall sound suppression/insulation for a vehicle in this class. I was pleasantly surprised. Only road noise really seeps through, when on rough, poorly maintained roads.

--- SE Sports-tuned suspension (and lower profile tires) makes for some fun driving/corning dynamics, even if it does make the ride a bit more busy on the rougher, poorly maintained roads. It's a worthwhile trade-off, in my opinion.

--- Turning radius on the SE is still quite good (despite being worse than the L/LE), and more than sufficient for all the tight spots that I have put her in thus far around town.

--- Very good braking capabilities. I personally like the 4-wheel disc brakes, even if they probably aren't really necessary on a car in this size/weight class.

--- A/C rocks cool air, even in the 108-118 degree heat that I have been driving in this past week - and I was only using fan setting 2 or 3 (of 4).

--- Love the single big wiper blade on the front windshield, versus two smaller ones. Very good example of simple, attractive, low-key design sexiness

--- Like the sound/feel of the stock engine, even if I wish it had another 20-25 horsepower to it, just to better match the looks and other performance specs of the 2015 SE, if nothing else. As it is, the car still accelerates briskly enough, even with the A/C on (m/t, 175lb lone occupant, and not loaded down with much more than a trunk full of groceries).

--- Stereo/speakers sound quite good by my standards, though I am not one to blast it or anything like that. The HD radio is really nice, compared to regular FM broadcasts (yes, this is my first car with HD radio).

--- Love the black honeycomb design of SE front grill/bumper area - but it is probably 10x harder to clean/detail than the variant L/LE version.

--- Really happy with the all-around design and look of the 2015 SE body. Everything just flows together well on the exterior.

--- Really like the minimalist, elegant, and simple interior layout, overall. No crazy "tech bloat", and no cheesy attempts to make the inside of the car look like a starship.

--- Like the air vent positions, layout, and design, especially the highly adjustable round vents on the far right and left side of dash.

--- Cabin/cockpit area is surprisingly open/roomy feeling (without tinted windows at least), with more head clearance up front than I expected - even at 6ft2in. Probably because there is no power moonroof built into a dropped/thicker ceiling, like my old Accord had.

--- Easy enough (for me at least) to find a very comfortable sitting/driving position, even with the lack of a telescopic steering wheel adjustment - which almost every auto reviewer has bashed the Yaris for not having.

--- Great all-around visibility in this car.

--- Shorter length of Yaris makes it really easy to fully pull into a parking spot (no ass hanging out) and still be a good foot+ away from scrapping your lower front bumper on a curb/curb-stop.

--- Aesthetically, I like the lower reverse-light placement on rear of the white/silver 2015 Yaris, but not so much with the other colors, since it doesn't blend the same, and tends to stick out like a sore thumb on those other colors.

--- Much prefer the flusher/blended taillights of the 2015, versus the ones on its 2012-2014 cousins. Likewise with the body-painted rear trim piece above license, versus the chrome one on the 2012-2014 (and Yaris Sedan). If you want chrome on the rear, you can always order the optional lower hatch trim available for the 2015 in Europe, etc.

--- Like the thick, fat, leather-wrapped steering-wheel on the SE.


DISLIKES (in no particular order):


--- No all-weather, reinforced "foot rest" rubberized plate to left of clutch/brake on raised "foot rest area". How did Toyota miss this in design??? I would rather not place my foot on the core vehicle carpet/floor, and undoubtedly soil and wear it out it over time.

--- Shortage of concealed/practical storage space in cockpit, though ample open, small, less-useful bins on various parts of dash. I will have to order a couple Toyota hinged-lid "ashtray cups" for coins and such. The concealed little bin in front of the dual cup holders and gearbox is nice though, at least - which I use to store my garage door opener, and a few other small things that I need easy access to.

--- No available armrest accessory currently for the 2015 Yaris - which feeds into above concealed/practical storage gripe. Perhaps it will be offered as an option with the 2016 models (meaning it would fit the 2015 also)? Though, having an open area between the seats is quite nice for a change (versus the monster armrest/storage unit in my old Accord). I guess it would depend upon the exact design/height of the armrest, on whether I would like it in this car or not.

--- Sunlight glare on touchscreen stereo limits its usefulness and ease of use during the sunny days here in AZ (tinted windows may alleviate this problem).

--- It's a bit difficult to see clock and dash LED information display with steering wheel tilted full-up, partially blocking view of it (I'm 6ft2in tall). I have to lean forward to see anything on the display other than the clock/temp -which I can barely see over the steering wheel centerpiece in my preferred, comfortable driving position.

--- Nothing wrong with the power windows, but I wish they were crank instead. Just a personal preference, and wishful thinking. I haven't had good luck with power window longevity in the past, with my Honda's. Hopefully Toyota will be different.

--- Not a fan of the remote lock opener and panic button being built into the key head, making it fatter/bulkier. I liked the separate, smaller key and little remote keychain unit (two piece) setup on my 2000 Accord better.

--- Very happy to have cruise control as standard equipment on the SE, but preferred the right-side steering-wheel mounted controls on my 2000 Accord over the awkward little stalk protruding from the lower right part of my steering wheel.

--- The 3 empty, covered button sockets near emergency brake and one on dash next to console dimmer make the car seem like it is missing something that it is supposed to have. What are those supposed to be used for anyway?

--- The tactile feel of the climate control knobs are sort of low-end (but work/look nice enough) - probably because these are the same controls used only in the lower-end Yaris models in Japan/Europe. Where is the nicer climate control setup that other market SE's and RS's have??? If you are willing to buy an SE over an L/LE, then you are obviously a lot more likely not to be worried about paying a bit extra for upgraded functionality, feel, etc.

--- I'm still not a huge fan of the 2015 OEM SE Alloy wheels, but my dislike of them has diminished greatly since I first saw them with the 2015 USA launch. They kind of grow on you, and do have a certain modern look to them. They look a lot better on the black and dark gray SE's, however, as opposed to the white/silver ones.

--- No standard OEM exhaust tip finisher on the 2015 SE trim, or even available as a dealer option for the North American Yaris (Unlike in other countries). Luckily I found a good aftermarket one - since it really rounds-out and completes the exterior look of the SE.

--- I wonder how many more years before car makers stop integrating CD players into their stereo units? I doubt I will ever use mine, and would rather Toyota have cut that for extra production-cost savings, rather than cutting the exhaust tip on the 2015 SE.

--- Not sure if I like the glossy piano-finish trim around gearbox, on steering-wheel, etc. or not inside the car. It makes it easy to leave fingerprints/smudges in those places. It also made sticking an adhesive die-cut white TRD vinyl logo very easy on the gearbox. :)

--- Orange/Red is not my favorite color setup when it comes to night-time illuminated auto instrument clusters. Thank goodness I can dim it down some.

--- Apparently I have a gremlin living inside of one of my air vents. Every time I leave the vehicle for a while and then return, the center left air vent is angled up for airflow direction, instead of level and facing me. O_o


***FINAL VERDICT***: Minor quibbles aside, I really do LOVE this car. I must be a real oddity in the American auto market. I also don't feel that a Honda Fit is a better car than a Yaris SE - except in cargo hauling capacity and superior design of the folding front/back seats. I like the Yaris SE better in every other way. Kudos to Honda marketing/hype versus Toyota marketing/hype, with regards to vehicles in this subcompact class, since they are selling 3-4x the volume of the 2015 Fit versus the 2015 Yaris (at least in America).

Great review!

Very interesting that the wheels are 'growing on you', and also the info about being able to get a chrome hatch strip from Europe. I like the chrome strip, and would want that on an SE. I really dislike the backup light being at the bottom of the bumper....but it is a small trade off given the front seats on the '15 SE .....especially with a black interior and a white exterior . The fronts seats in my '14 are (IMO) much better than the front seats on my '07, but pale in comparison to the front seats on your SE.....would never have to consider putting covers on those .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:25 PM   #4
bronsin
 
bronsin's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: nj
Posts: 4,219
Glad to hear the on/off low speed throttle isn't affecting shifting/low speed maneuvering.
__________________
Synthetic Oil: Its All In Your Head
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:35 PM   #5
Kalispel
 
Kalispel's Avatar
 
Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Arizona (USA)
Posts: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Great review!

Very interesting that the wheels are 'growing on you', and also the info about being able to get a chrome hatch strip from Europe. I like the chrome strip, and would want that on an SE. I really dislike the backup light being at the bottom of the bumper....but it is a small trade off given the front seats on the '15 SE .....especially with a black interior and a white exterior . The fronts seats in my '14 are (IMO) much better than the front seats on my '07, but pale in comparison to the front seats on your SE.....would never have to consider putting covers on those .
The Toyota part-number for the lower chrome hatch-lid trim available on various 2012-2015 Yaris/Vitz outside the USA is PZ415-B0491-ZB. You can google the part number to see where/how it fits. I have thought about ordering it, since it is more low-key than the upper garnish piece would have been in chrome, and does add some nice, needed contrast back there.

I think I would like the OEM SE wheels better if they didn't have so much black in them. I will probably keep them until it is time to buy new tires (or until early next year at least), and then switch to a more-traditional 16" silver-spoke type wheel. Something like this:

Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:56 PM   #6
Kar98
 
Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: DFW
Posts: 651
M/T, really? How the hell did you manage to find one?
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:53 PM   #7
Hershey
 
Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: northeast
Posts: 2,897
Good report . Makes me think the manual is that of the MAZDA 2 . Does it have hill start assist ? Keep us updated on the gas mileage . Enjoy .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:24 PM   #8
nookandcrannycar
 
Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Posts: 4,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
M/T, really? How the hell did you manage to find one?
He found it in Colorado....had been sitting there about the same length of time my '14 had been sitting in Florida when I completed the purchase.

Given how big Texas is.....and how Gulf States Toyota has decided to be (although to be fair, that might be because of lack of demand).....I think we in Texas usually must expand our search more than would be required for residents of most other states .

Kalispel, I remember you wrote that they accepted your first offer and that you then had to pay for transportation. Did they bring it directly to you (residence or place of business), or did you have to have it unloaded at a local Toyota dealer (for safety and or ergonomic reasons re unloading) ?
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:30 PM   #9
nookandcrannycar
 
Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Posts: 4,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
The Toyota part-number for the lower chrome hatch-lid trim available on various 2012-2015 Yaris/Vitz outside the USA is PZ415-B0491-ZB. You can google the part number to see where/how it fits. I have thought about ordering it, since it is more low-key than the upper garnish piece would have been in chrome, and does add some nice, needed contrast back there.

I think I would like the OEM SE wheels better if they didn't have so much black in them. I will probably keep them until it is time to buy new tires (or until early next year at least), and then switch to a more-traditional 16" silver-spoke type wheel. Something like this:

^^^^^ That alloy wheel would definitely be a simple, elegant choice .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:51 PM   #10
BLKHILLSGUY
 
Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Black Hills of South Dakota
Posts: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
M/T, really? How the hell did you manage to find one?
CARGURUS.COM is invaluable in a car search. Saves you hours of research time.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:52 PM   #11
BLKHILLSGUY
 
Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Black Hills of South Dakota
Posts: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
Good report . Makes me think the manual is that of the MAZDA 2 . Does it have hill start assist ? Keep us updated on the gas mileage . Enjoy .
I doubt that. Toyota JUST is now getting involved with Mazda. But who knows.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:12 AM   #12
nookandcrannycar
 
Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Posts: 4,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKHILLSGUY View Post
CARGURUS.COM is invaluable in a car search. Saves you hours of research time.


I used cars.com re my '14 (brought to my attention re a post from roxy1) and it worked well for me....but you're right re cargurus.com. It's better because it has all the same information that cars.com has, plus additional information that cars.com doesn't have . Either would have saved me many hours re the search for my blue '07 Yaris in 2006.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 02:45 PM   #13
Kalispel
 
Kalispel's Avatar
 
Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Arizona (USA)
Posts: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
He found it in Colorado....had been sitting there about the same length of time my '14 had been sitting in Florida when I completed the purchase.

Given how big Texas is.....and how Gulf States Toyota has decided to be (although to be fair, that might be because of lack of demand).....I think we in Texas usually must expand our search more than would be required for residents of most other states .

Kalispel, I remember you wrote that they accepted your first offer and that you then had to pay for transportation. Did they bring it directly to you (residence or place of business), or did you have to have it unloaded at a local Toyota dealer (for safety and or ergonomic reasons re unloading) ?
When I was finally ready to buy (mid-July 2015), and conducted nationwide searches via Cargurus, AutoTrader, etc. there was only two 2015 white SE manuals listed in the entire country (and not many of all colors combined past that). The dealership in CA didn't seem interested in dealing with an out-of-state purchase, shipping, etc. on a Yaris, but Liberty Toyota/Scion in Colorado Springs was very responsive and happy to do it. They rolled the $450 shipping cost from Colorado Springs to Phoenix into the purchase price, and shipped it straight to my home address (in a big, full-sized auto-hauling truck that holds multiple cars).

My Yaris did indeed sit on the dealer lot for over 6 months. The date of manufacture in France is listed on the door jam as November, 2014. I'm sure that it was a slow seller both because it was manual and the dealer pics of it on their website, cargurus, etc. featured the car after a bad storm, and it was covered in dirt and mud. Also, the dealer disclosed that it had endured a minor hail storm earlier in the year that had damaged some of their other vehicles - but not my mighty little Yaris apparently.

On the day my Yaris arrived to my residence in Scottsdale, AZ, the trucker team called me at work about 2-3 hours out and let me know when they would be there. I took a half-day paid personal day at work and was there to meet them when they arrived. The car arrived with 39 total miles on the odometer - with no dents/dings/scratch to be found (much to my relief).

A humorous side-note to the delivery was what the trucker said after he backed my car off the truck and pulled it into the driveway. He said that he had been dropping off all $40K+ Audi, BMW, Lexus, etc. cars in this area in his current delivery today - and then here was this cute little white Toyota Yaris SE mixed in there with those high-end luxury cars. He understood though when I told him that is what I had to do in order to find the exact car that I wanted with a manual-transmission.

For those interested, the retail price of the manual SE is $17,650 or so (including baked-in $800 destination cost), and I paid $16,450 before CO-to-AZ shipping fee, Scottsdale, AZ equivalent sales tax, and $499 dealer fees. The already-installed front/back/trunk floor-mats were included at no additional cost in that pricing. I was fully prepared to pay the full retail if I had to in order to get the car that I wanted, but they accepted my first offer, luckily enough - and the retail price-cut more than offset what I paid in long-distance shipping fees and such.

Last edited by Kalispel; 08-23-2015 at 03:11 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:23 PM   #14
Kalispel
 
Kalispel's Avatar
 
Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Arizona (USA)
Posts: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
Good report . Makes me think the manual is that of the MAZDA 2 . Does it have hill start assist ? Keep us updated on the gas mileage . Enjoy .
Not as far as I know it doesn't, but whatever Toyota did for the 2015 clutch overhaul, it won me over.

I can't tell you how relieved I was after driving it for a few days (and getting used to the accelerator) and discovering that I actually enjoyed the manual/shifting dynamics in this car as much or more as any of the various manual Honda/Acura vehicles that I have driven over the years. I was really stressing-out about ordering a manual Yaris completely blind (having never driven one), and it almost pushed me into buying a local-dealership automatic just to play it safe. I'm glad that I dodged that bullet, and took the chance.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:46 PM   #15
nookandcrannycar
 
Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Posts: 4,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
When I was finally ready to buy (mid-July 2015), and conducted nationwide searches via Cargurus, AutoTrader, etc. there was only two 2015 white SE manuals listed in the entire country (and not many of all colors combined past that). The dealership in CA didn't seem interested in dealing with an out-of-state purchase, shipping, etc. on a Yaris, but Liberty Toyota/Scion in Colorado Springs was very responsive and happy to do it. They rolled the $450 shipping cost from Colorado Springs to Phoenix into the purchase price, and shipped it straight to my home address (in a big, full-sized auto-hauling truck that holds multiple cars).

My Yaris did indeed sit on the dealer lot for over 6 months. The date of manufacture in France is listed on the door jam as November, 2014. I'm sure that it was a slow seller both because it was manual and the dealer pics of it on their website, cargurus, etc. featured the car after a bad storm, and it was covered in dirt and mud. Also, the dealer disclosed that it had endured a minor hail storm earlier in the year that had damaged some of their other vehicles - but not my mighty little Yaris apparently.

On the day my Yaris arrived to my residence in Scottsdale, AZ, the trucker team called me at work about 2-3 hours out and let me know when they would be there. I took a half-day paid personal day at work and was there to meet them when they arrived. The car arrived with 39 total miles on the odometer - with no dents/dings/scratch to be found (much to my relief).

A humorous side-note to the delivery was what the trucker said after he backed my car off the truck and pulled it into the driveway. He said that he had been dropping off all $40K+ Audi, BMW, Lexus, etc. cars in this area in his current delivery today - and then here was this cute little white Toyota Yaris SE mixed in there with those high-end luxury cars. He understood though when I told him that is what I had to do in order to find the exact car that I wanted with a manual-transmission.

For those interested, the retail price of the manual SE is $17,650 or so (including baked-in $800 destination cost), and I paid $16,450 before CO-to-AZ shipping fee, Scottsdale, AZ equivalent sales tax, and $499 dealer fees. The already-installed front/back/trunk floor-mats were included at no additional cost in that pricing. I was fully prepared to pay the full retail if I had to in order to get the car that I wanted, but they accepted my first offer, luckily enough - and the retail price-cut more than offset what I paid in long-distance shipping fees and such.
Great that you got such good service, and that your car was ding free ! A couple of years ago (?), out near Katy (far west side of our metro), I saw a new car that didn't yet have permanent plates. The car had obviously just been through a massive hailstorm and had huge dents all over. I remember thinking how costly it was going to be for the insurance company (if the owner had comprehensive) to repair the car.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:21 AM   #16
ern-diz
 
ern-diz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Liftback
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: CA all day
Posts: 3,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
DISLIKES (in no particular order):


--- No all-weather, reinforced "foot rest" rubberized plate to left of clutch/brake on raised "foot rest area". How did Toyota miss this in design??? I would rather not place my foot on the core vehicle carpet/floor, and undoubtedly soil and wear it out it over time.
Lame that I drive a 2007 and this dislike is still relevant. My carpet has a wear spot on it and my car only has just over 60k on it. How in 8 yrs have they not gotten enough feedback about this to have added it? First thing I noticed when going from my Civic LX to the Yaris.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:13 PM   #17
nookandcrannycar
 
Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Posts: 4,854
One thing I forgot to include in post #3.....I agree with you about the one blade windshield wiper . I was worried that one blade wouldn't work as well as two, but my concern was unfounded.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:03 PM   #18
Kalispel
 
Kalispel's Avatar
 
Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Arizona (USA)
Posts: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Lame that I drive a 2007 and this dislike is still relevant. My carpet has a wear spot on it and my car only has just over 60k on it. How in 8 yrs have they not gotten enough feedback about this to have added it? First thing I noticed when going from my Civic LX to the Yaris.
I did a double-take when I first got into the car and noticed no protective plate on the raised foot-rest area. I was like WTF!!! I wonder if I could velcro/attach something to that spot, without it being a potential safety hazard of it coming off and getting caught up under a pedal or something. I don't want to win a Darwin Award or anything, after all

As it is, I have changed my sitting position with that leg/foot, so that I don't put my foot on the baseline carpet/flooring there.

-
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Consumer Reports not too pleased with Yaris Befuddled General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 132 02-28-2011 02:57 PM
NEWS: TOYOTA REVEALS ALL-NEW YARIS SEDAN AT 2006 LOS ANGELES AUTO SHOW VitzBoy General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 5 09-05-2010 08:53 PM
2007 Yaris Pricing Info ! YarisBueller New YARIS Purchase Forum 104 06-24-2009 04:54 PM
I test drove a Yaris, Versa and FIT CanadaCraig New YARIS Purchase Forum 41 11-29-2008 09:18 PM
Install a Yaris deck into a Matrix... bad idea?? Help needed!! SimmZ In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 4 12-17-2006 01:01 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:23 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.