Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-29-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
Can a dealer set the milage on a used speedo?

I'm thinking about getting a used speedo with the tach integrated but the used one has like 10,000 miles on it and my yaris has over 40k. Can/will a dealer set the replacement to the right amount of miles?
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:49 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I used to think they could, but after purchasing a TechStream tool, I found out that it doesn't allow changing the odo data, so I don't think that they can. If you do some web searching, there are places that will do it for a fee by reprogramming the EEPROM where the data is stored.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:02 PM   #3
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I am pretty sure it is against Federal law (49 U.S.C. §§ 32701-32711) for them to do so.

I had an instrument cluster replaced in an earlier car, and they had to put a sticker in the door frame stating the odometer was not the original and which included the original mileage.

I realize you are not trying to defraud anyone, but all the dealer can do for you is maybe give you the sticker that you can annotate the mileage on before you install the new cluster. But you will have to make note of the new reading as well so when/if you eventually sell the vehicle and someone realizes it has been changed, you are not culpable under Federal and state laws.

Cheers! M2
Old 10-29-2010, 10:51 PM   #4
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
thanks for the info you guys. I knew that trying to pass off an incorrect mileage as true was against the law but did not know that it was even against the law for a dealer to set a new one to the correct mileage. I'm going to just get a nice gauge for the dash then and not bother with it. I kinda like the look of the one thats in the tach install guide anyway. :) (the glow shift one)
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:09 AM   #5
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Yeah in Maine I know it is at least a state law. You have to note the fact that it is a replacement odometer in your registration and your title. After that you are good.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:14 PM   #6
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Yeah, I was kind bummed when the dealer couldn't adjust the new instrument cluster I bought to reflect the actual mileage of the car. I felt it would be more honest to do so, but was told they couldn't even do that. Ironically, the new cluster had a light out so they later replaced the entire thing again and I had two stickers in the door frame indicating it had been replaced; so to get the actual mileage on the car you had to add those two numbers up then add whatever the third odometer read. And the reason I replaced the first one was that the tach went out and started to read a couple of thousand RPMs higher than actual all of a sudden (which scared the crap out of me, as I am cruising down the highway and glance at the tach, and thought I had a major problem occurring! I got it in neutral, shut down the engine and pulled off the road, only to notice my tach still read over 3000 RPM! Everything else was OK, but my heart was beating about 3000 RPM higher for a few minutes!).

Cheers! M2
Old 02-18-2011, 07:10 PM   #7
bB2NER
My Box and Her Egg

Drives: 05' Scion xB / 08' Yaris 3dr
I always thought the ODO info was stored in the ECU and would read the same no matter if you changed the speedo. Yes or no??
bB2NER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:18 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjfishnuts@yahoo.com View Post
I always thought the ODO info was stored in the ECU and would read the same no matter if you changed the speedo. Yes or no??
No. The ODO data is only stored in a EEPROM in the cluster. The ECM doesn't store any mileage data. The only reprogramming that is done with the ECM when replacing it is to program the car's VIN into it.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:21 PM   #9
bB2NER
My Box and Her Egg

Drives: 05' Scion xB / 08' Yaris 3dr
OK, thanks
bB2NER is offline   Reply With Quote